Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Good GPS Mapping & Martins Chip #11889503 10/19/16 09:07 PM
BuffaloBrian Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
I'd like to be able to sit at home and look at a mapping application on my PC, pick some interesting spots, save the spots in a file on my micro SD and upload into my Lowrance Elite finders; I need this primarily for lakes near me like Ray Roberts. Given that I only need it for DFW area lakes, I'd like to ask this community of experts what the best and most cost effective product is... By best, I mean, most comprehensive on existing, unique lake features like underwater roads, boat channels, man-made stuff, ponds, etc. Please keep in mind that it should have the capability I mentioned above...not just a one-time upload file; I want to be able to add my own spots within the provided pc version and then upload them (to avoid having to manually type in numerous points on the GPS from a map or something.) I appreciate your insight...hoping this narrows down my choices and to learn a bit more about this subject. I am trying to make the right decision and not needlessly pay a lot of money for something that doesn't perform well.

Thanks in advance,

Last edited by BuffaloBrian; 10/20/16 03:00 PM.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Good GPS Mapping [Re: BuffaloBrian] #11890265 10/20/16 11:52 AM
T
teambassmanager Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
We actually just switched to the iPad (the one with 4G as it allows GPS) and are using the Navionics web app with the mobile app included. I really cannot say enough good things about this addition. We managed to mount it using a gumdrop case and this thing is probably one of the best additions as of yet (in my opinion) to the boat. For one it is so much more less expensive than all the big daddy touch screen units out there along with being able to take calls, check email and a whole lot more. Once you get home you load the Webapp and start plotting which syncs directly to your iPad.

Don't know if that helps but wanted to share.

Bass Manager Staff 🎣
Live Action 24/7 🎥
⬇️⬇️ SIGN UP FREE ⬇️⬇️
"ᴀ sᴏᴄɪᴀʟ ɴᴇᴛᴡᴏʀᴋ ғᴏʀ
 ᴀᴠɪᴅ ʙᴀss ғɪsʜᴇʀᴍᴇɴ"
www.bassmanager.com
Re: Good GPS Mapping [Re: BuffaloBrian] #11890502 10/20/16 03:01 PM
BuffaloBrian Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
Thanks for mentioning that; cool set up. I am researching what would be the best and most cost effective application, like one of the Navionics versions, for use with a home PC and then loading the points on a chip and loading into the unit. It is the software itself I am unsure about. For instance, you mentioned Navionics, but I'm not sure what version is best for I'm after. I could do Insights West, but for 159 bucks, is it really worth it? I wonder if there may even be some odd freeware online that one can use for my purposes. I will be talking to the sales guy at BPS about the name brand stuff, but thought I'd ask the professionals on this site first. I am aware of Martins GPS file, but I believe this is a onetime upload; that being said, I'd also like to know what people think about that chip. I am editing the title to reflect this topic as well. I do know there is Martin's representation on here, but I'm looking for user feedback...

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide