Print Thread
Monticello, Cypress Springs, Bob Sandlin #11885993 10/18/16 12:48 AM
K
Klinker Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
K
I have never been on any of these three lakes. I know they are all separate, but interconnected by series of dams. For the old pros, my question is, do the lakes fish differently - cover, structure, etc? For example, my impression is that Cypress Springs is more of a weekend lakehouse, recreational lake so I assume it is primarily cleared. Does one seem to stand out to you as easier to find and identify cover and structure for a newbie? Any general advice appreciated - not asking for your time-tested secret spots!

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Monticello, Cypress Springs, Bob Sandlin [Re: Klinker] #11886215 10/18/16 02:25 AM
D
David Burton Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
D
Not a seasoned pro, but...

Yes, all three are basically totally different.

No, the structure (except docks and pads) are not more visible on Cypress.

Watch out for trees on Monti (north of the bridge) and BS (below the railroad bridge). Look for the threads on here with running instructions for both lakes.

David Burton
2015 Skeeter FX 21 +Ultrex +Helix 12 (x3) +Mega360 +MegaLive
Re: Monticello, Cypress Springs, Bob Sandlin [Re: Klinker] #11886456 10/18/16 07:18 AM
SkeeterRonnie Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
Cypress Springs has lots of pleasure boats, docks, and waves. A few offshore areas that include brush, tires, and rocks. Nothing really spectacular to cast to....
Bob Sandlin has lots of timber, coves, docks, offshore ledges/brushpiles. Its a better lake to fish in my opinion.
Monticello is a powerplant lake with timber, vegetation/lilly pads, rocks, and a couple small bridges. It can be excellent to fish due to the decrease in pleasure boats.

Re: Monticello, Cypress Springs, Bob Sandlin [Re: SkeeterRonnie] #11888161 10/19/16 02:38 AM
K
Klinker Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
K
Ronnie, thanks for the advice on Sandlin and Monticello......exactly what I was hoping someone would share.

Re: Monticello, Cypress Springs, Bob Sandlin [Re: Klinker] #11888460 10/19/16 12:27 PM
361V Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Yes, like has been mentioned above the three lakes are like apples and oranges.......and bananas. While all three are separated by dams they were built at completely different times and are very different from each other. Cypress actually is a better "numbers lake" for me especially with the spotted bass but you will have to fight the wakeboard crowd on warm days.

Last edited by 361V; 10/19/16 12:30 PM.
Re: Monticello, Cypress Springs, Bob Sandlin [Re: Klinker] #11888672 10/19/16 02:04 PM
R
Razorback Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R
Every year I look forward to the day that the water becomes too cold for the wakeboarders and jet skiers. A lot of lakes are bad, but Cypress is brutal.

Re: Monticello, Cypress Springs, Bob Sandlin [Re: Klinker] #11889261 10/19/16 06:51 PM
Jaguar6 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
This may get lengthy and I am sorry but bare with me.

Been fishing these three lakes for 10-12 years. Love all three but again like above, all different. Agree with the above that Cypress is better for numbers. I have caught big fish out of BS and even bigger out of Monti. When the power plant ran full time it was the only lake I fished for 3-4 months out of the year.

BS you can run down the middle easily, if you see trees about 100-200 yards at least then you are good (this is what I do and never had problems). North of the railroad bridge is rough but you can catch a bunch of spots C-riggin the bridge. There is good coves across from the state park ramp and around that bridge (can't remember that bridge number). Chatterbaits, t-rigs and frogs have been good to be on BS.

Monticello you can run from the ramp all the way around the South side of the highway bridge with no problems. The first point beside the ramp you have to make a wide turn around because there is a big hump in front of the cove that goes in around the point. I call it the "boy scout" cove because I have seen boy scouts camping and fishing for badges in that cove. Lots of good cattails in the 3 west side coves across from the power plant intake. The highway bridge is popular if they are running the plant with current going through. Still fish to be caught there when there is no current but it is tougher for me without the current. North of the highway bridge you can run diagonal to the point going toward the railroad bridge, around that point and through the power lines all the way to the end of the power lines with no problems. You can also run from the bridge straight to the discharge with no problems. You can run straight for a little ways before you get into trees but I wouldn't recommend that being your first time. The railroad bridge (both sides) underneath into Smith creek there is lots of trees, grass and lily pads to fish. You CAN"T run underneath. Watched a guy in a tracker get on plane underneath in the creek and put a hole in his aluminum boat and knocked the whole engine off its mount. Staying out from under the bridge there is a point down the power lines and back toward the middle with stumps. Great spawning flat and have caught fish there year around. Going back around that point into Blun Del Creek is where Honey Hole filmed there show there. Lots and lots of pads back there.

Be careful and like stated above, look at a map or navionics. You tube could be a good help too.

Old 18 Outfitters Pro Staff
Wicked Weights High Quality Tungsten Pro Staff
TH Marine Pro Staff
Fin Culture Fishing Apparel
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide