11271630 Posts

Max Online: 36273 @ 01/23/13 02:34 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#11878804 - 10/13/16 11:54 AM Dropshot Weight Questions
Wes H Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: San Antonio, Texas
I love dropshotting and had been trying out a lot of different kinds of weights. I found one that I really liked at a decent price called "Elite Tungsten Skinny Drop Shot Weights" and they worked great for a while. The problem came in about a month or so later that after several trips and traveling all the wire clips are now bent at a 45 degree angle from bouncing around in the box I guess. Now when I throw them i'm lucky if one lasts an hour without reeling it back in and only having the clip left attached to my line.

Is there a better weight that I should be buying (at a reasonable price)?

Or is this just my error and there is some better way to store them?

#11878834 - 10/13/16 12:09 PM Re: Dropshot Weight Questions [Re: Wes H]
bigbass94 Online   content
TFF Team Angler

Loc: San Antonio, Texas
Reins Tungsten TG Slim Down Drop Shot Weights

I had the same problem that you had and went through a bunch of different weights. I had almost decided to accept the fact that they're gonna do that, until I tried these. I have to pay a few extra bucks but in the end I don't have that problem and I've even ended up saving money. These are high quality drop shot weights and I guarantee that you'll be happy with them.

Edited by bigbass94 (10/13/16 12:10 PM)

"That was like watching the birth of Jesus!"-Urban Fisher

#11878862 - 10/13/16 12:27 PM Re: Dropshot Weight Questions [Re: Wes H]
Mike_Soriano™ Offline
TFF Celebrity

Loc: FORK
Specialized Dropshot weight catch anglers as much as they catch fish. That being said, I use skinny bear lead drop shot weights

#11878895 - 10/13/16 12:47 PM Re: Dropshot Weight Questions [Re: Wes H]
Alex Finch Online   content
Extreme Angler

Loc: Fate, Texas
Originally Posted By: Wes H
I love dropshotting and had been trying out a lot of different kinds of weights. I found one that I really liked at a decent price called "Elite Tungsten Skinny Drop Shot Weights" and they worked great for a while. The problem came in about a month or so later that after several trips and traveling all the wire clips are now bent at a 45 degree angle from bouncing around in the box I guess. Now when I throw them i'm lucky if one lasts an hour without reeling it back in and only having the clip left attached to my line.

Finch Nasty weights, of course! I use the tightest line grip available. I've used 2 lb crappie line without tying a knot. Two versions available, the cylinder and the ball. A lot of people prefer the cylinder shaped version "the Skinny Shot".

Online Orders: www.finchnastybaitco.com
E-mail Orders: finchnastybaitco@gmail.com

#11879080 - 10/13/16 02:29 PM Re: Dropshot Weight Questions [Re: Wes H]
Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life) Offline
TFF Celebrity

Loc: Tyler, Tx/Arlington, Tx
Cylinder is best by far for fishing around the timber and brush we have here in Texas. I don't care for tungsten. To expensive and you will loose allot of drop shot weights so just get led.

#11879190 - 10/13/16 03:22 PM Re: Dropshot Weight Questions [Re: Wes H]
Sinkey Online   content
Tidy Scoop

Loc: Lewisville, TX.
Cylinder by far and tungsten is just a waste of money on drop shotting.

LAKE FORK MAFIA
www.grandebass.com
www.skeeterboats.com

#11879221 - 10/13/16 03:31 PM Re: Dropshot Weight Questions [Re: Wes H]
JIM SR. Online   sick
TFF Celebrity

Loc: NRH/Fork again ! GET THE NET
cheaper the better...I've gone to using squeeze on split shots without the ears,...works fine.

Edited by JIM SR. (10/13/16 03:35 PM)

#11879235 - 10/13/16 03:40 PM Re: Dropshot Weight Questions [Re: Wes H]
Fishin Machine Online   content
TFF Celebrity

Loc: WV

#11879429 - 10/13/16 05:41 PM Re: Dropshot Weight Questions [Re: Wes H]
Thad Rains Online   content
Extreme Angler

Loc: Lubbock, Texas.
I use a shakey head for my weight on the drop shot, unless I am in heavy cover (grass). Works well most of the time and you often double up on fish, especially if they are schooling. Don't have to worry about it coming loose, either. Maybe it is just me, but I like to fish dual presentations when I can. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Raions

Thad Rains

#11879484 - 10/13/16 06:35 PM Re: Dropshot Weight Questions [Re: JIM SR.]
MikeSouza Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Ardmore, Ok
Originally Posted By: JIM SR.
cheaper the better...I've gone to using squeeze on split shots without the ears,...works fine.

+1

Been doing this for about 10 years. A lot cheaper than a "drop shot" weight.

#11879527 - 10/13/16 07:09 PM Re: Dropshot Weight Questions [Re: MikeSouza]
JIM SR. Online   sick
TFF Celebrity

Loc: NRH/Fork again ! GET THE NET
Originally Posted By: MikeSouza
Originally Posted By: JIM SR.

+1

Been doing this for about 10 years. A lot cheaper than a "drop shot" weight.

when the weight costs more than the worm something is outta whack.. hammer

#11880496 - 10/14/16 10:18 AM Re: Dropshot Weight Questions [Re: Alex Finch]
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru

Loc: Mansfield, Tx.
Originally Posted By: Alex Finch
Originally Posted By: Wes H

Finch Nasty weights, of course! I use the tightest line grip available. I've used 2 lb crappie line without tying a knot. Two versions available, the cylinder and the ball. A lot of people prefer the cylinder shaped version "the Skinny Shot".

These are the best that I have used. I also have tried the Skinny Bear ones and from time to time one will not be tight enough. I haven't found a single one of the Finch Nasty that is loose. Now they are the only ones I buy.

#11880773 - 10/14/16 01:23 PM Re: Dropshot Weight Questions [Re: Wes H]
Josh Seale Offline
Angler

Loc: Saginaw, TX
I can tell you if you are using tungsten as your drop shot weights, you are wasting money.

#11881558 - 10/15/16 06:20 AM Re: Dropshot Weight Questions [Re: Wes H]
jiggmann Offline
Outdoorsman

Yep never understood the whole tungsten drop shot weight gig!

#11881624 - 10/15/16 07:46 AM Re: Dropshot Weight Questions [Re: jiggmann]
Brad R Offline
Pro Angler

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: jiggmann
Yep never understood the whole tungsten drop shot weight gig!

I don't use tungsten drop shot weights, either, but the one advantage to them is size: Since tungsten is denser than lead and other materials, it means for a given weight, it will be smaller.

Smaller hangs up less.

But, yes, a drop shot weight isn't used so much to feel the bottom as it is dragged like in other bottom presentations nor is the weight in front (on top) of the plastic where such things make a difference because the weight is between you and the hook, say like a Texas Rigged worm. Tungsten can make a big difference in those cases.

But, the sentiment is spot on. A drop shot weight is supposed to act simply as an anchor holding fast a hook and its presentation between it and us on the other end. If it is too light and we take the slack out of our lines just a bit to feel for a drop shot bite, it would move. So, in theory we could just use some large 1 ounce weight to really hold us in a position against depth of water, wind and currents. We don't. A 1 ounce weight would hang up more often when we do make little hops back toward the boat before we re-cast.

Brad

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 1998-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide