Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sitting here at sunrise ...... #11874824 10/11/16 12:45 PM
D
Duckcreek Davy Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
D
Wondering why the gate is closed at the entrance to the picnic area here at Little Ridge. bang

Dave Morris

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson,
Re: Sitting here at sunrise ...... [Re: Duckcreek Davy] #11875126 10/11/16 03:33 PM
R
Resh Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
yuuuuuuup. Pretty cool huh. I drove over to Avalon Sunday (supposed to be open weekends) and it's closed too.

Hooray Lavon! Good thing the walks aren't too bad. Good luck out there

There are no fish in sonic pond EDIT: Except 1 20lb catfish
Re: Sitting here at sunrise ...... [Re: Duckcreek Davy] #11875144 10/11/16 03:42 PM
D
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
D
Problem is, I'm disabled. Little Ridge is one of the very few places on the lake where I can actually drive up close enough to the water that I can make it down to it. Drove from there over to pebble beach....closed...of course. I'd sure like a good explanation why our lake is virtually shut down right now. What harm could come from leaving Little Ridge open 24/7 year round like they've done in the past? It's not like they'd have to spend a bunch of money on the place. They haven't done that in a good while I'd guess.

Dave Morris

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson,
Re: Sitting here at sunrise ...... [Re: Duckcreek Davy] #11875180 10/11/16 04:04 PM
K
KungFuJimmy Offline
Angler
Angler
K
they always close the gate oct 1st every years,june 1st open again,they got any thing set up at park but no money for fix.

Kung Fu Jimmy

Re: Sitting here at sunrise ...... [Re: Duckcreek Davy] #11875378 10/11/16 05:52 PM
D
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
D
nossir. Before the flood they left it open year round most of the time. In fact I remember fishing in ice cold blue norther conditions down on the point with it barely above freezing. It cost them nothing to keep it open. They certainly spend little money maintaining the restrooms. In fact the restroom below the dam is one of the nastiest I've ever been in. I don't understand why they would deny us access to OUR resources like they are doing. Exactly who is the person that makes the arbitrary decisions regarding the closure dates? And I'll say this I've never seen the point look as clean as it is now. No thanks I'm sure to the COE. And plenty of kudos to KFJ and friends for making it happen.

Dave Morris

Re: Sitting here at sunrise ...... [Re: Duckcreek Davy] #11875383 10/11/16 05:53 PM
D
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
D
Maybe yall can see I'm pretty P-O'd right now about this.

Dave Morris

Re: Sitting here at sunrise ...... [Re: Duckcreek Davy] #11876522 10/12/16 12:28 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Online Embarrased
Jr Deputy Dan
Online Embarrased
Jr Deputy Dan
So the gate is closed but you can still walk around it? So its basically a closed area if you have a disability? Thats bull s.

Dave have you tried contacting local officials or whomever the powers that be are to lodge your compliant!?

I hate this kind of stuff. Closures and restrictions to fishing access when we all pay for it with our taxes.

Now a disabled angler cant fish his honey hole? Someone needs to provide a good explanation as to why.

Write your congressmen and Senators Cruz and Cornyn see what they have to say. Call and email everyone you can think of.

Re: Sitting here at sunrise ...... [Re: Duckcreek Davy] #11877236 10/12/16 05:47 PM
B
blooper961 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B
I know the feeling.The prime fishing spots at Joe Pool have been closed over a year,
and no hope of opening soon.State has to ok money to fix flooding issues.

Re: Sitting here at sunrise ...... [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #11881338 10/15/16 02:11 AM
D
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: Dan90210
So the gate is closed but you can still walk around it? So its basically a closed area if you have a disability? Thats bull s.

Dave have you tried contacting local officials or whomever the powers that be are to lodge your compliant!?

I hate this kind of stuff. Closures and restrictions to fishing access when we all pay for it with our taxes.

Now a disabled angler cant fish his honey hole? Someone needs to provide a good explanation as to why.

Write your congressmen and Senators Cruz and Cornyn see what they have to say. Call and email everyone you can think of.

I plan on doing so. I mean believe me, I don't want to be "that guy"...you know the whiney poor me guy. But geez. They are making it tough for ANYONE who doesn't own a boat to enjoy what just happens to be OUR lake. Not theirs. I mean how many parks are open Oct. thru April? 1? Kind of? Really? this isn't Wisconsin. In fact this is the time of year when many of us actually enjoy being out at the lake. This is Texas Man! As far as it being a money thing, Has anyone seen any money being spent at Little Ridge lately? Except the boat ramp? I sure haven't. I tell you what, I would be more than happy to pay a fee every year and get a sticker for my windshield to help pay for a resource I am actually using. I would also ask that we be allowed to fish throughout the night at these parks as is a time honored tradition with fishermen. As far as the disability access goes, well it doesn't exist. That"s just the way it is I guess, but isn't it funny how the feds shove ADA requirements down everyone's throat except their own. Typical.

Dave Morris

Re: Sitting here at sunrise ...... [Re: blooper961] #11881344 10/15/16 02:14 AM
D
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: blooper961
I know the feeling.The prime fishing spots at Joe Pool have been closed over a year,
and no hope of opening soon.State has to ok money to fix flooding issues.

Yeah that's the story everywhere I'm afraid. I wonder exactly what it is they want to fix. I can see where roads would be a problem, But what else is there that would keep us out of the parks?

Dave Morris

Re: Sitting here at sunrise ...... [Re: Duckcreek Davy] #11884171 10/17/16 01:50 AM
Dan90210 ☮ Online Embarrased
Jr Deputy Dan
Online Embarrased
Jr Deputy Dan
I totally understand not wanting to be "that guy".

But sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Co-worker of mine broke his back, hes paralyzed from the waist down, its very difficult to find places he can fish... This just another example of restricted public access for no good reason.

And the fact that you could fish it before but now cannot while folks who are not disabled can still walk around the gate and fish!

That aint right

Good luck sir

Re: Sitting here at sunrise ...... [Re: Duckcreek Davy] #11884260 10/17/16 02:35 AM
F
Fisherman13 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
The only Lavon park that had good access for disability that I know of was Caddo park and its been closed for years.

Re: Sitting here at sunrise ...... [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #11886163 10/18/16 02:05 AM
D
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: Dan90210

And the fact that you could fish it before but now cannot while folks who are not disabled can still walk around the gate and fish!

That aint right

Good luck sir

Yeah, but I have to be real careful here. If I raise to much attention to that we might stand a chance of them putting a stop to people walking into these places rather than do anything else. I sure don't want to ruin it for anyone else. I'm not really sure how this all plays out. You know the city of Wylie has jurisdiction over most if not all of those parks. But I don't think they decide when they are open and such. Maybe somebody reading this could enlighten me.

Dave Morris

Re: Sitting here at sunrise ...... [Re: Fisherman13] #11886349 10/18/16 03:16 AM
D
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
D
Like so many parks have been on this lake.

Dave Morris

Re: Sitting here at sunrise ...... [Re: Duckcreek Davy] #11886427 10/18/16 04:44 AM
F
Fisherman13 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
City of Wylie has no control in the gates of the parks. Its all controlled by the US Army Corps of Engineers. As the lake and nearly all the shoreline is owned by the US government. If the park is in the city of Wylie and the police are required the Wylie police will respond but not all the parks are in Wylie. Collin Park is the only independently owned park I believe. East Fork has some rights with their marina not sure of the specifics. I don't believe they will stop people from walking in so long as nothing is vandalized or stolen. I think they just close the gates because they don't have the resources to maintain the parks in the slow season. Summer is a much busier season with kids out of school and families on vacation. The corp of Engineers had a post up asking for volunteers for gate attendants recently. The post is no longer up.
Here is their website for Lavon.
http://www.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/lavon/

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide