Max Online: 36273 @ 01/23/13 02:34 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#11869198 - 10/07/16 10:46 AM Stormy Weather Spinner Bait
Donald Harper Offline
TFF Guru

Loc: Justin, TX.
The Halloween Spinner Bait:

We all have been caught in an upper level disturbance while fishing.  Most fishermen will either stay home or get off the water because it is going to be a miserable day and the bite seems to just shut down. Actually the exact opposite is happening.   The huge bass are grouping together and being just absolutely aggressive in the backs of larger creeks. The inside bends of these creeks are the best where the cover is the heaviest. The Halloween Spinner Bait is one that I spent years tweaking so it will catch the big bass that are so active during inclement weather. 

This bait has won many tournaments over the years in bad weather situations when they would not bite any other bait.  The stranger the conditions the bigger the bass it catches.  My largest stringer was in Ky. with 10 bass weighing 62 lbs. caught on the Ohio River in Shoot #1.

Order info.:
Contact: PM's here - Cell: 432-553-1874 - Email: fishnteacher@gmail.com
FREE bottle of Pure Minnow Extract comes with this bait for the Living Rubber.
PayPal - Check or Money order for $15.

www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
Shallow Water Mapping - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

#11869911 - 10/07/16 05:04 PM Re: Stormy Weather Spinner Bait [Re: Donald Harper]
Donald Harper Offline
TFF Guru

Techniques:
- Fish this bait during upper level disturbances like;
Lighting -Thunder -Fog and Thunder – Blue Northerner - Sleet and Snow 
- Find the heaviest cover in the lake as close to deep water as
possible.  These huge bass will be grouped up around that cover. 
-Run the bait just under the surface bumping it off ever log, tree
and brush in the area.
-Water depth of 5 ft. or less has produced the best results.  
- Spend no more than 10 minutes fan fishing the area then move
forward.  When you find the fish tie up and work every piece of
cover in the area.

#11869920 - 10/07/16 05:09 PM Re: Stormy Weather Spinner Bait [Re: Donald Harper]
Anchorman Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Small Town NE Texas
Looks good.

Greatly resembles an old Nichols spinner bait I used a lot before I lost it.

#11871220 - 10/08/16 06:00 PM Re: Stormy Weather Spinner Bait [Re: Donald Harper]
Donald Harper Offline
TFF Guru

The Head is a special molded head to hold a 3 mm. prism eye in chartreuse. It is painted chartreuse and orange diamond dust.

The diamond dust is of 5 colors in: Silver hologram, chartreuse hologram, gold hologram, purple hologram and black.

It has 2 Skirt keepers, one for skirt and one for the trailer. The shank is an extended shank eliminating the need for a trailer hook.

The Skirt is Living Rubber in three colors and hand tied. The colors are Brown, Orange and Orange/black stripe.
Minnow Scent has been molded into the rubber pour, and then saturated with my minnow extract.

The Blade is a #5 Orange Indiana. It has a top coat of clear coat with a light Dusting of Diamond Dust. This glitter needs to be exact. I mix 5 different glitter dusts together: Silver Hologram, Purple Hologram, Gold Hologram, Chartreuse Hologram and Black.

It is armed with a Stanley Pro Trailer; Tomato/Blue Flake

This bait has won $50K in tournaments over the years in bad weather situations when they would not bite any other bait. The rougher the conditions the bigger the Bass it catches.

#11871740 - 10/09/16 07:36 AM Re: Stormy Weather Spinner Bait [Re: Donald Harper]
RedEar12 Online   content
Angler

How many baits do you get for $15?

#11871796 - 10/09/16 08:39 AM Re: Stormy Weather Spinner Bait [Re: RedEar12]
milkfisher Online   content
Angler

Loc: DFW
Originally Posted By: RedEar12

Just one. Donald makes HIGH quality baits by hand and his attention to detail is on point.
his spinner bait arsenal is as good or better than anything else out there IMO.

#11871884 - 10/09/16 09:46 AM Re: Stormy Weather Spinner Bait [Re: RedEar12]
Donald Harper Offline
TFF Guru

Originally Posted By: RedEar12

What I enjoy doing the most is taking your old spinner baits and making them the best ones in your box. I can restore 3 of your baits for that $15.

Thanks milkfisher for the kind words and your support. Good fishing to you and your son.

#11872634 - 10/09/16 07:41 PM Re: Stormy Weather Spinner Bait [Re: Donald Harper]
Angler

1 spinner bait for $15.

Ok. Thanks.

#11873184 - 10/10/16 08:04 AM Re: Stormy Weather Spinner Bait [Re: Donald Harper]
Nathan "Bull" Montgomery Offline
TFF Celebrity

Loc: Fort Worth, Tx.
I bought one and used it right in the middle of a storm. Had lightning, heavy rain, and all the conditions it was supposed to be good for. Couldnt buy a bite on it. I will keep trying though. This was the first time I got a chance to use it in bad weather. I was catching fish on jigs in same area I was throwing this. Probably just me I was expecting the fish to just jump on it lol. Ill keep trying though!

#11873859 - 10/10/16 02:39 PM Re: Stormy Weather Spinner Bait [Re: Donald Harper]
Donald Harper Offline
TFF Guru

Every time I have won a tournament or produced a huge stringer of Bass on this bait it has been from time spent on the water finding the best spot for this to take place. When a storm would come in, I would make a run for this safe creek and was almost certain they would be there. It is not a bait that you can just be throwing anywhere on the lake when bad weather rolls in. The Halloween Spinner Bait is for the heaviest cover and the best spot on the lake. There are no magic baits that I know of; just certain ones will catch bigger fish when the conditions are right.

#11875303 - 10/11/16 12:06 PM Re: Stormy Weather Spinner Bait [Re: Donald Harper]
Angler

Is this spinnerbait tournament legal?

#11875898 - 10/11/16 06:30 PM Re: Stormy Weather Spinner Bait [Re: Donald Harper]
Donald Harper Offline
TFF Guru

I have passed many polygraphs using it; so I thank so.

First Big Win:

Lighting: It was 1972 in the Ohio River Challenge Tournament. Bad weather set in before day break as I left the launch sit. There was lots of lighting and rain coming straight down, but not much wind. I had a 10 mile run to a creek that fed into one of the many oxbow lakes on the Ohio. Once I entered the creek I had to shut down and idle about a mile through the old channel that had once been dredged to let flood water out and off the adjoining farm lands. There were still many logs and lay downs to maneuver around to get back to the Cyprus Groves.

Back in that day the trolling motor plug didn’t have the quarter turn locking system as they do today. Anyway mine was a home made job. I had just turned into shoot #1 when a bolt of lighting hit the boat. It didn’t hit me at all but knocked the plug out of the socket on the front deck and fire flew out of it a foot long. I thought to my self, oh man I am going to be clipping up all day and fan fishing which was nothing new to me. I had been sculling a john boat sense I was 10 years old. When I got to the big grove of Cyprus and plugged the trolling motor back in and stepped on the hot button which was a dimmer switch for a car, the batteries were so hot it almost threw me out of the boat. I never saw so much power out of that motor. It was on 3 and was twice as fast as it once was.

The main storm passed quickly but was still lighting all around when I started making cast with the spinner bait that I had tweaked for such conditions. It had already been proven to me many times before. In just a little over one hour on that one Cyprus tree with 21 knees sticking up all around I pulled 10 huge bass out for 62 lbs. That was my first big win in Kentucky. Yes, back in the day it was a 10 fish limit.

#11877921 - 10/12/16 07:54 PM Re: Stormy Weather Spinner Bait [Re: Donald Harper]
Donald Harper Offline
TFF Guru

Lots of Thunder and No Lighting: Light showers set in all morning on Ky. Lake. It is 1975 and I have made it to the Red Man Classic. It was held in July that year because back then they ran two circuits a spring and fall. We launched at Paris Landing State Park and I ran to the back of Slaughter’s Resort Cove to fish a small creek where the beavers had laid almost all the trees in the water. I was working a regular Stanley Spinner Bait because it seemed that the worst of the storm had passed. I had picked up a limit of small 2 to 3 lb. Bass on the tree tops when another group of clouds, thunder and rain moved in.

Along the West shore there was some old boat houses that I thought would make good cover so I headed in that direction. It was too shallow for the big motor so I was giving the trolling motor all it would do against the wind. It was so shallow I had to hold the trolling motor up out of the water with the rope to get across the flat. Crossing the flat I could see two lay downs ahead of me. These are in less than a foot of water in July and the only two pieces of wood on the whole flat had wash up there during high water in the spring. When I got within casting distance I just let the motor down in the mud and picked up the Halloween Spinner Bait. There were two Bass there one on each lay down. The first Bass weighted 10.2 lbs. and the second one weighed 8 even. Total weight for that win was 10 fish for 36 lbs. and change. I love this spinner bait.

#11879389 - 10/13/16 05:06 PM Re: Stormy Weather Spinner Bait [Re: Donald Harper]
Donald Harper Offline
TFF Guru

Thunder Storms Rolling Up the Tennessee River: Huge thunder storms all up and down the Tenn. River delayed the Ky. Lake Open in 1980. This gave me time to get the Halloween Spinner Bait dug out of the massive number of spinner baits that I carried. Ninety five percent of my day was spent throwing spinner baits up until 1982 when I moved to Texas.

A break between the storms gave us the go ahead to leave New Johnsonville Marina. My spot that I had picked in that section of the river was only about 3 miles away. In the back of this cove is a old railroad trestle where two bridges had been blown out to allow access behind the old out of service tracks.

Once behind the trestle we went across the cove where the creek channel slams against the bank. It is loaded with buck ball bushes all the way down that shore to the back of the cove. We quickly picked up a limit but it wasn’t until we reached the back where high water had deposited a massive field of logs and debris on a small point. In about 2 hours of picking the area apart, we had culled all 10 of the limit and replaced them with 4 lb. fish. We were catching them so fast we had 20 in the livewell putting the bigger bass in one side.

Bill Dance and Billy Phillips were partners in this event. On the way into the weigh-in they pull up beside us on the long idle into the marina. They didn’t have to ask how we had done. My partner was culling the other livewell out as they were watching. Mr. Dance just shook his head and threw up his hands as to say, we give up. Our stringer weighed 43 lbs.
This is now the second best spinner bait that I have built. The Tweaked Hank Parker is still number one.

#11881105 - 10/14/16 05:47 PM Re: Stormy Weather Spinner Bait [Re: Donald Harper]
Donald Harper Offline
TFF Guru

BIG TEMPERATURE CHANGE WITH SLEET AND FOG:
Lake Spence is near Robert Lee, TX. and was the site of one of our biggest open tournaments in west Texas. It was 1985 during our March spring break week. We were fishing in shorts all week and catching the spawning bass like crazy. The morning of the tournament about 3:00 A.M. a heavy Northerner blew in bring ground covering sleet with lighting and fog. By day break the worst was over but the fog was so thick and the occasional sleet would come down. There was very little wind with all this which made it bearable.

I was staying in a trailer park on the west end of the lake by the pump house. I had to cross the lake to get to the 3 cuts holding brush and hard wood points. Running into that North shore was easy. I just kept the wind in my face and idled right into the middle cut. Other fisherman were already in there and out on the bank with a fire built to get dried out. I spoke to them and got the OK to fish the left fork. Bushes were everywhere up this short arm of the creek. About 3 casts later I boated a 5.5 lb bass just past their boat sitting on the bank. They just kept hugging the fire. I cast across the creek finger to the other bank and the next bass was 6.5. Now the fire was being kicked out and it was time for them to go fishing.

I had about 20 bass that morning before the fog began to lift. On Wednesday before this tournament I had a huge bass hit my Tweaked Hank Parker way up the river and it was time now to go check her out. It took until 12:00 noon to idle up there in the fog that remained on the water. This big bass was near a huge log coming off the bank. The first cast was on the right side of the log and nothing. My next cast on the left side produced the big bass of the tournament weighing 9.2. lbs. 5 fish weighting 29.5 lbs. was a easy win.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 1998-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide