Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Teaching the correct bass tournament etiquette #11866082 10/05/16 06:06 PM
D
dflipper Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
D
I would like to start off by saying that I support high school bass fishing in its fullest. I may get crucified for saying this but here it is. I was fishing a tournament on Livingston this pass weekend at the same time as the high school tournament. The truth is that several of the boat captains driving these kids have little to zero etiquette what so ever. What angers me the most about this is that these kids will not know any different and are being taught this behavior. If you don't know the proper etiquette...there are plenty of forums, shows and articles that explain what not to do. Please educate yourself to the correct practices for the future of our sport. If you have been fishing for any length of time... Especially competitively then you know the rules and I'm not talking about you. I believe that each school chapter should have a class from someone that competes competitively prior to each season to teach the future of our sport the correct etiquette on the water. I truly embrace high school fishing to every extent, but we need to teach these young men and women the correct ways of the sport.

"Money well spent Jake, both times!!!" -Gus McCray
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Teaching the correct bass tournament etiquette [Re: dflipper] #11866088 10/05/16 06:09 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
What types of things are you talking about. The on the water behavior of captains I have seen in the 3 events I have captained has been pretty good. The fields are large and you can end up in close quarters but my take is pretty positive so far.

Re: Teaching the correct bass tournament etiquette [Re: dflipper] #11866092 10/05/16 06:11 PM
K
Kisndismis Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
I thought that is what these programs are designed to do. Truth is a lot of these kids dont have parents with $75K bass boats and a drive to compete like some of the others. Its $750 per kid to do these, prices me right the heck out of it. I cant afford that for myself let alone my kids ( who have fished tourneys with me but not hard core at all)

Watch it happen, make it happen, or say what the hell happened. Capt. Phil Harris F/V Cornelia Marie RIP
Re: Teaching the correct bass tournament etiquette [Re: dflipper] #11866095 10/05/16 06:13 PM
Phoenix_Ed Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
I hate to hear that. I was up there and told my high school boys when we encountered someone we gave way. That 25 yards of bank just got beat on, why cut in front of them. I also told them that if we were fishing docks and anyone was on their dock we did not fish it. All about respect. Thanks for sharing.

I will add that Livingston was fishing small, lots of boats in popular areas.

Last edited by E5Zero; 10/05/16 06:13 PM.

Wishin I was fishin!! ..............>(((//*>
2021 Phoenix 819 - Mercury 200 4 Stroke - Ultrex
Her name is Novia Número Cinco.
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega DI - Helix 12 Mega SI - Mega 360
PB Largemouth - 9.51 - Toledo Bend - March 2014
Re: Teaching the correct bass tournament etiquette [Re: dflipper] #11866162 10/05/16 06:59 PM
C130 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I saw two guys (grown ups) go by two kids in a Jon boat at about 50 mph minimum up Kickapoo. We were fishing about 10 yards off the bank and he went between us and the kids in the non motorized Jon boat. He had to be within 20 feet of them, not particularly close to us. I assume they were fishing the other tournament but don't know that for a fact. Both my son and the other kid couldn't believe it. I'm not trying to compare the behavior of the two different tournaments but I think there were some inappropriate etiquette on both sides. That was the only thing I saw that I thought was inappropriate. Overall, everyone was great and very respectful. I'm new to the boat captain thing myself so know I know I have stuff to learn. My primary concern was safety and not getting to close to others fishing the same area.

Last edited by C130; 10/05/16 09:58 PM.

Bass Cat Eyra
Re: Teaching the correct bass tournament etiquette [Re: dflipper] #11866174 10/05/16 07:07 PM
steve Mbass Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
fish

Last edited by RedSkeeter; 10/05/16 08:50 PM. Reason: trolling
Re: Teaching the correct bass tournament etiquette [Re: Kisndismis] #11866211 10/05/16 07:33 PM
R
RKT Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
R
Originally Posted By: Kisndismis
I thought that is what these programs are designed to do. Truth is a lot of these kids dont have parents with $75K bass boats and a drive to compete like some of the others. Its $750 per kid to do these, prices me right the heck out of it. I cant afford that for myself let alone my kids ( who have fished tourneys with me but not hard core at all)

Kisndismis - I am curious how you came up with the amount of $750 per kid to participate in these tournaments?

Re: Teaching the correct bass tournament etiquette [Re: dflipper] #11866217 10/05/16 07:38 PM
Monte Reagan Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I know we are not in your area but we are having a Tournament tips and boat seminar at Fun-n-Sun in Hurst Texas Oct. the 29th from 10 to 4 with lots of boat seminars from etiquette, safety, maintenance as well how to stage your boat at take-off etc. I will post this info soon!!!

Re: Teaching the correct bass tournament etiquette [Re: RKT] #11866243 10/05/16 07:52 PM
T
Txduckhunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: RKT
Originally Posted By: Kisndismis

Kisndismis - I am curious how you came up with the amount of $750 per kid to participate in these tournaments?

The kids in the club I captain for have to pay their own way this year. I think the grand total is somewhere around $380 - 400 total for the years fees. That includes all the required registrations, entry fees and a jersey.
While this might seem high, it is nothing compared to other HS sports.

Re: Teaching the correct bass tournament etiquette [Re: dflipper] #11866249 10/05/16 07:55 PM
K
Kisndismis Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
I was told that amount by a guy who has a kid in the one at KHS. MY kid goes to KPark and they do not have a team there. I accept responsibility of it being inaccurate, but have no reason to believe otherwise. And the $ is not the topic of this post, its about safety and concerns with lack thereof.

Watch it happen, make it happen, or say what the hell happened. Capt. Phil Harris F/V Cornelia Marie RIP
Re: Teaching the correct bass tournament etiquette [Re: dflipper] #11866315 10/05/16 08:33 PM
R
RKT Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
R
Kisndismis - I am the sponsor at KHS. I can assure you I consistently talk to the kids about being courteous on he water. Some just do not know any better and need to learn. That is part of why we have the program.

As far as expenses, the kids must pay a $25 fee to join the SAF and a $35 fee to join THSBA. Then the entry fee per boat at each tournament is $50 per boat that is split between the two kids if they have two in the boat. The jersey is about $70 but is not mandatory. I do ask the kids to offer to pay their half of the fuel expenses on tournament days if the captain is not their parent. The kids can fish these for much less than $750 a year. However, we all know that we can make fishing as expensive as we want to make it.

At Humble ISD we allow kids from any of the high schools to participate in "club" sports at other schools of their school does not have a team. Therefore, I can allow Kingwood Park kids to fish with Kingwood High School.

Re: Teaching the correct bass tournament etiquette [Re: dflipper] #11866326 10/05/16 08:44 PM
fouzman Online Content
Methuselah
Online Content
Methuselah
I can appreciate the OP's idea. But it shouldn't be "tournament etiquette". It should on-the-water etiquette, period. There is no distinction between tournament etiquette and general fishing etiquette, imo.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: Teaching the correct bass tournament etiquette [Re: dflipper] #11866335 10/05/16 08:51 PM
D
DuctsZX250 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
D
Just captained my first one on Hubbard a few weeks back. Got cut off at least 3 maybe 4 times while fishing down the rocks but simply pulled up the TM and ran to a new spot. Used the situation to teach my kids that it was not proper etiquette and why it was not. Also, taught them no need to complain about it and just move on to the other areas you have already mapped out and hopefully prefished . I hate to be negative but common courtesy and common sense go hand in hand and I do believe kids can still be taught right from wrong but if you have reached adulthood and still need that training...good luck.

We had a great time and are looking forward to Tawakonia where I know the fishing is going to be much tougher for us.

Re: Teaching the correct bass tournament etiquette [Re: dflipper] #11866347 10/05/16 09:01 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
I still don't know exactly what op is referring to. There are different opinions about what is acceptable. I know I have discussed with my guys and gal I captain for on water certain situations. If you are talking about fishing proximity it's a tough deal. How close is too close, what is cutting someone off, etc. If I see someone bank beating all the way down a bank and I pull up and fish a rock pile on a point in front of him I'm not cutting him off. He may proceed beating the bank right next to me. If someone is camped on a specific thing in a cove I will fish all the rest around him. Some may disagree with this but this is how I approach. I don't know how you teach something there is no absolute right way to handle it. It's funny but the kids get way more worked up about it than they should. I have my team pretty calm now.

Re: Teaching the correct bass tournament etiquette [Re: fouzman] #11866353 10/05/16 09:03 PM
U
UTDmiller Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
U
Originally Posted By: fouzman
I can appreciate the OP's idea. But it shouldn't be "tournament etiquette". It should on-the-water etiquette, period. There is no distinction between tournament etiquette and general fishing etiquette, imo.

I agree with you, i actually just read it as on the water etiquette, i think he intended it to be. But it is a great point if others didnt read it like that

John Miller
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide