Forums59
Topics1,037,815
Posts13,934,987
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
most crappie fisherman are heavily reliant on their trolling motor #11862653 10/03/16 10:33 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
thats why im posting this in the crappie section, if it needs moved , plz do.

Ok I noticedmy MINN kOTA Terrova shaft started delaminating, which has a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser, which I am. So I called Minn kota and told them my issue and they told me I had to call an authorized Minn Kota repair shop and arrange warranty thru them. So .. I called TEXAS BOAT WORLD, and they told me it would cost 99.00 for them to verify that my shaft was indeed defective. I didnt think this was right so I went and read my warranty paperwork, and it said I could either take it to a authorized dealer OR send the defective part to Minn Kota in minnesota. SO I called the 1800 number and talked to a Minnkota rep, and they tried to tell me I HAD to go to a authorized warranty center. I read the warranty provisions to them, and then they changed thier tune and said they would sent me a brand new shaft. The shaft comes with the lower housing already attached. So all you have to do is transfer the guts of the motor into the new housing. Doing this will save me 99.00.
I dont blame texas boat world, because there is no labor allowance in the warranty that pays them to handle the warranty part, , and they shouldnt work for free, but I didnt like how minnkota tried to steer me into a 99.00 [censored] charge when they were aware that they could handle the in warranty item directly. This is saving me a shipping charge. I dont have to send them the old one, so that is nice too.

Last edited by leanin post; 10/03/16 11:02 PM.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: most crappie fisherman are heavily reliant on their trolling motor [Re: leanin post] #11862656 10/03/16 10:35 PM
Cast Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Good job busting that scam up.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: most crappie fisherman are heavily reliant on their trolling motor [Re: leanin post] #11862669 10/03/16 10:38 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
Minn Kota just doesnt want top be hassled with in warranty issues, so they try to flick you off like a booger onto someone else. Some folks actually read thier warranty paperwork and hold them to it.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: most crappie fisherman are heavily reliant on their trolling motor [Re: leanin post] #11862691 10/03/16 10:51 PM
S
Squirrely Dan Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Whoever does the warranty work should be billing manufacturer. That's part of their deal. Sounds like they don't wanna hassle getting paid from Minnkota.

Fully sponsored by my mom
Re: most crappie fisherman are heavily reliant on their trolling motor [Re: leanin post] #11862706 10/03/16 11:00 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
the shaft is warrantied, NOT the labor. I can do it myself, so thats why I didnt want to take it somewhere. heres what I envisioned happening , ok, because the guts of the motor have to be transfered from one housing to another, by the time you leave the authorized dealer, I bet you would be 250, to 350 dollars lighter than when it all started.
The composite shafts are not near as durable as I thought they were, so hopefully this will save the next guy a few bucks and some hassle.

Re: most crappie fisherman are heavily reliant on their trolling motor [Re: leanin post] #11862862 10/04/16 12:30 AM
Gamblinman Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
The unbreakable Minn-Kota shaft myth. I can't name how many shattered shafts I've seen over the years...not that the bent shafts of a Motor Guide are any better.

Gman

Re: most crappie fisherman are heavily reliant on their trolling motor [Re: leanin post] #11863823 10/04/16 02:42 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
when it splits, it leaves you in a pickle,. you cannot lift it thru the mounting jack to the upright position, so I had to go to the bank, and peel off some of the laminations, in order to push it up thru the hole . it split like if you broke a live branch over your knee,. it splintered and made a horrible cracking sound.. I was idling with the big motor, and didnt even feel it before I heard it.

Re: most crappie fisherman are heavily reliant on their trolling motor [Re: leanin post] #11864089 10/04/16 04:59 PM
SLABmeSILLY Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Glad you got MK to not further hassle the issue. Product is only as good as it said until it goes bad. I'switched over to MG Xi5 about a yr ago and have been happy so far. Let's hope that mine won't have issue soon.
Since your Terrova is serving you well, no reason the spend more money than you have to, but if it goes south on you, Xi5 might be a better choice. Quieter and it sticks...

Good luck LP

Re: most crappie fisherman are heavily reliant on their trolling motor [Re: leanin post] #11864218 10/04/16 05:58 PM
K
Ken Gaby Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
Originally Posted By: leanin post
when it splits, it leaves you in a pickle,. you cannot lift it thru the mounting jack to the upright position, so I had to go to the bank, and peel off some of the laminations, in order to push it up thru the hole . it split like if you broke a live branch over your knee,. it splintered and made a horrible cracking sound.. I was idling with the big motor, and didnt even feel it before I heard it.

Was the motor in the stowed position? Your original post says the shaft started delaminating. Which I thought meant the chrome plating was coming off. I'm confused by mention of the horrible cracking sound.

A life without God is like an unsharpened pencil, it has no point. Billy Graham
www.thermoclinelures.com "Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
http://www.crazyanglertackle.com Premium crappie baits and jig tying accessories
http://www.proanglertackle.com Best crappie and catfish rods/reels
http://www.beereadys.com World's Best Rod Holders
Re: most crappie fisherman are heavily reliant on their trolling motor [Re: Ken Gaby] #11864318 10/04/16 06:48 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted By: Ken Gaby
Originally Posted By: leanin post

Was the motor in the stowed position? Your original post says the shaft started delaminating. Which I thought meant the chrome plating was coming off. I'm confused by mention of the horrible cracking sound.

there is no chrome on the shaft. it is a composite shaft, made of fiberous lamentations. when they crack, the lamentations break free, and peel, like bark on a tree.

Re: most crappie fisherman are heavily reliant on their trolling motor [Re: leanin post] #11864740 10/04/16 10:33 PM
DFW-fisherman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Glad you got it worked out! A lesson for us all!

I too switched to MG xi5, and am glad I did because it lets me fish for crappie more than fiddle with the trolling motor. When it works - it is great!! thumb

flag texas

Re: most crappie fisherman are heavily reliant on their trolling motor [Re: leanin post] #11864764 10/04/16 10:47 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
competition is good, it creates better products, and customer service, because folks arent going to accept inferior products and sketchy customer service and warranty support if there is a viable alternative.

Re: most crappie fisherman are heavily reliant on their trolling motor [Re: leanin post] #11865400 10/05/16 09:05 AM
M
maxj Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M

This is why I never run my big motor with my TM still in the water. It's a little more work on my part but well worth the effort and piece of mind.

Re: most crappie fisherman are heavily reliant on their trolling motor [Re: leanin post] #11865651 10/05/16 01:44 PM
S
Slewfoot Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
S
I'm excited to check out the new MK. A mix between an Xi5 and a fourtrex would be the perfect TM to me. I like cable steer on bridges and timber and spotlock of the Xi5 on brush and docks. To have both without having 2 TM's on the front deck would be great!! thumb

Re: most crappie fisherman are heavily reliant on their trolling motor [Re: maxj] #11865663 10/05/16 01:50 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted By: maxj

This is why I never run my big motor with my TM still in the water. It's a little more work on my part but well worth the effort and piece of mind.

look at the alternative, if the trolling motor wasnt down, I would have likely either smacked my prop, my lower unit, knocked off a transducer, ect. none of them have a lifetime warranty, my trolling motor shaft does though, and uncle Minn has plenty. ( roflmao HELL THEY EVEN THREW IN A FRESH BATCH OF STICKERS)...
Ive sunk a couple boats in my lifetime, and broke a few components, but if you want to catch fish consistantly like me, you cannot be a timid soul, or a worry wart. fish hard or go home worrying abt a little scratch on your boat or a broken component. The coolers of big slabs im catching on belton right now, ease all the repair pains. banana

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide