Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Gator Or Gorilla Hull? [Re: Peepaw on Fork] #11872668 10/10/16 12:57 AM
Rick Collis Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Gator hull on my 20' Basscat added less than 50lbs.

Rick Collis
903-473-8820
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Gator Or Gorilla Hull? [Re: Bruce Allen] #11872711 10/10/16 01:28 AM
M
meP2too Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
M
Originally Posted By: Bruce Allen
what do you mean by professionals? Mike has been in the fiberglass repair business for just as long as those guys in Louisiana and you don't have to drive an additional three hours each way.

He has repaired thousands of boats and put on hundreds of Gator hulls.

I've been gone since last wednesday,
After talking to Mike on the phone and getting a ballpark price, i wanted him to see the boat and learn more about the process so I made an appointment to meet Mike with my boat at Lake Fork Fiberglass at 8 am in the spring 2015. An employee arrives at 8:30am, he does not know whern Mike will arrive. He calls him to remind him of our meeting. He says he will get there in 20 minutes. whille waiting the employee finally desides to show me a boat (the only one in the shop) being repaired, but will not talk about process. (I am in the construction industry and I investigate defective construction so i want to know the process and materials to do my own research for compatibilty.) Mike arrives, while I was having a general discussion with him employee, he immediately tells his employee to stop talking. We go outside, he looks at my boat without tapping or sounding any surface, he tells me its toast, and his gator hull will not fix it. i ask him how he knows that and he just says it is, he been doing this for years, and I would not like the finish product and walks away. Great customer service? a waste of my time.

After this I called Toledo Bend Fiberglass, night and day discussion, they answered every question I had. I was travelling to Lousianna the following week, so i took my boat with me. First thing i noticed was boats in repair bays and quite a few boats along their fence to be repaired. They met me and discussed the process and materials showed me boats in various stages of completion. They looked at the boat and sounded the hull and the damaged areas of my boat, confirmed my boat was not toast, and that either normal fiberglass repair or the gorilla hull would fix the damages. At that time i desided to fix it wilth normal fiberglass and gel coat. But now after finding a rock while beaching the boat at a public ramp recently, I will repair it with a Gorilla hull.

Re: Gator Or Gorilla Hull? [Re: meP2too] #11873083 10/10/16 09:30 AM
Rick Collis Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted By: meP2too
Originally Posted By: Bruce Allen
what do you mean by professionals? Mike has been in the fiberglass repair business for just as long as those guys in Louisiana and you don't have to drive an additional three hours each way.

He has repaired thousands of boats and put on hundreds of Gator hulls.

I've been gone since last wednesday,
After talking to Mike on the phone and getting a ballpark price, i wanted him to see the boat and learn more about the process so I made an appointment to meet Mike with my boat at Lake Fork Fiberglass at 8 am in the spring 2015. An employee arrives at 8:30am, he does not know whern Mike will arrive. He calls him to remind him of our meeting. He says he will get there in 20 minutes. whille waiting the employee finally desides to show me a boat (the only one in the shop) being repaired, but will not talk about process. (I am in the construction industry and I investigate defective construction so i want to know the process and materials to do my own research for compatibilty.) Mike arrives, while I was having a general discussion with him employee, he immediately tells his employee to stop talking. We go outside, he looks at my boat without tapping or sounding any surface, he tells me its toast, and his gator hull will not fix it. i ask him how he knows that and he just says it is, he been doing this for years, and I would not like the finish product and walks away. Great customer service? a waste of my time.

After this I called Toledo Bend Fiberglass, night and day discussion, they answered every question I had. I was travelling to Lousianna the following week, so i took my boat with me. First thing i noticed was boats in repair bays and quite a few boats along their fence to be repaired. They met me and discussed the process and materials showed me boats in various stages of completion. They looked at the boat and sounded the hull and the damaged areas of my boat, confirmed my boat was not toast, and that either normal fiberglass repair or the gorilla hull would fix the damages. At that time i desided to fix it wilth normal fiberglass and gel coat. But now after finding a rock while beaching the boat at a public ramp recently, I will repair it with a Gorilla hull.

Hmmm, would love to hear the other side of this story. I have known Mike for over 30 years and if he turned down a job, there would have to be a good reason.

Rick Collis
903-473-8820
Re: Gator Or Gorilla Hull? [Re: Chasin'Bass] #11873241 10/10/16 01:47 PM
U
UTDmiller Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
U
Anybody have ball park pricing for this? Had some fun on stumps this past weekend and have some gel coat damage. I assume i will just get it fixed but might consider gorilla/gator hull in the long run

John Miller
Re: Gator Or Gorilla Hull? [Re: Chasin'Bass] #11874946 10/11/16 01:49 PM
bobrfishes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I have had GATOR hulls by Lake Fork Fiberglass on my last 2 boats.
It made the sale on the first one and will help if I ever sell the current one.

The big difference between the GATOR HULL and others
is the others are applied with A CHOPPER GUN whereas
the GATOR HULL is continuous fiberglass mat.
This Makes for a stronger surface.

STUMPJUMPER
Re: Gator Or Gorilla Hull? [Re: bobrfishes] #11881112 10/14/16 10:51 PM
Wildkow Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Originally Posted By: bobrfishes
I have had GATOR hulls by Lake Fork Fiberglass on my last 2 boats.
It made the sale on the first one and will help if I ever sell the current one.

The big difference between the GATOR HULL and others
is the others are applied with A CHOPPER GUN whereas
the GATOR HULL is continuous fiberglass mat.
This Makes for a stronger surface.

How do you know this? Reason I ask is that the Gorilla Hull, by Toledo fiberglass, application is a secret process, as mentioned above IIRC. I looked at mine very closely and I can detect no chopped or mat fiberglass. But I could be wrong.

Last edited by Wildkow; 10/14/16 10:52 PM.

Re: Gator Or Gorilla Hull? [Re: Chasin'Bass] #11881458 10/15/16 04:00 AM
O
oldscout1 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
O
http://www.toledofiberglass.com

They know what their doing.... thriving business with a big, newer shop....I know where I'd go...

Re: Gator Or Gorilla Hull? [Re: Chasin'Bass] #11881497 10/15/16 05:50 AM
P
P Prince Offline
Angler
Angler
P
Putting a Gorilla hull on my Fx 21 was one of the Best decisions i ever made. It did slow my boat down 3-5mph but well worth it and great customer service.

Re: Gator Or Gorilla Hull? [Re: Chasin'Bass] #11882008 10/15/16 07:49 PM
S
StormVet Offline
Angler
Angler
S
Bout how much does it cost to do this.

Re: Gator Or Gorilla Hull? [Re: Chasin'Bass] #11882029 10/15/16 08:26 PM
Lowly Net Boy Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Had my gator hull put on by Mike at LFF over 5 years ago on a 206 Champion,and although it's no speed demon,it did lose about 2-3 mph,(68-69 is still fast enough) but if I wanted speed I would have bought a Bullet. I got the champ for the ride and with the gator hull damn if I don't think it's a little better, hole shot maybe a few seconds longer, performance wise runs and rides/drives like a champ. And it still looks brand new even if the boat is almost 12 yrs old. And I love it. The main thing is peace of mind,and you can fish without worrying about screwing up your hull. So it's really about 6 of one or half a dozen of the other,they both do what they claim. LFF was just closer to me. There is one thing, gator people like their hulls and so do gorilla people, and the people that don't have em, don't like em and say they will never get one so go figure. Good luck with which ever one u get

Re: Gator Or Gorilla Hull? [Re: Chasin'Bass] #11882048 10/15/16 09:00 PM
Wildkow Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Originally Posted By: StormVet
Bout how much does it cost to do this.

Somewhere around $100/ft I believe.

Last edited by Wildkow; 10/15/16 09:01 PM.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide