Page 1 of 2 1 2
Indoor #11860017 10/02/16 03:36 PM
B
BassFever Online Content OP
TFF Guru
OP Online Content
TFF Guru
B
What is the best indoor trainer for a bike?

Re: Indoor [Re: BassFever] #11861479 10/03/16 12:13 PM
B
Bass_Bustin_Texan Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Best? There are some fancy ones! If you want to virtual race people there are some computer based models.

www.zwift.com

Is where people race, they give a few really nice options to use.

Or get a cheap one. Cheap ones adjust with a knob and are a little louder than fluid models.

Mine is a cheap one....got it with the bike. Part of my "deal".

REI has some in their Outlet. $$$

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

Open your eyes & look within, are you satisfied with the life youre living.

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: Indoor [Re: BassFever] #11862388 10/03/16 07:43 PM
B
BassFever Online Content OP
TFF Guru
OP Online Content
TFF Guru
B
Ok, instead of best. Lets say good, that won't break within a couple weeks and doesn't cost several paychecks. Is there certain things I should look for when shopping for these? And certain things I should stay away from?

Re: Indoor [Re: BassFever] #11863585 10/04/16 12:19 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Not that I know of. I got a cheapo one and it serves its purpose. Little louder than the fluid ones. Fluid ones are supposed to be quiet....work out early morning while family is asleep.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/11/2014-winter-trainer-recommendations.html

This is the goto website for reviews. Might check this link.

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: Indoor [Re: BassFever] #12004270 12/26/16 06:12 PM
Nocona Brian Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Well lucked out and got a Fluid 2 for Christmas. I'd kind of been holding off doing anything till I got this so when I jumped on it last night it was intresting to see where I was.

I used the speed/hr/cadence sensors with the Garmin to measure my speed/distance, and HR so I can see how it's going. I don't know how accurate it is, but I figure as long as I keep everything the same, I'll be able to compare rides.

Jumped on it last night around 12am when everyone finally left and got in 5 miles. Fun stuff.

LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum
Re: Indoor [Re: Nocona Brian] #12005473 12/27/16 01:00 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Originally Posted By: NoconaBrian
I'd kind of been holding off doing anything till I got this so when I jumped on it last night it was intresting to see where I was.

but I figure as long as I keep everything the same, I'll be able to compare rides.

First off, I love the excuse why you haven't rode or run lately. Waiting on the new toy! crazy

I got that excuse on my swimming too! wink (waiting on a membership and money to roll in...lol)

Second, You will notice it's not the same as the street. No downhills, no coasting, and constant resistance. An hour ride on the road will compare to a 1.25 hour (estimate) ride on the trainer. Many people use the trainer solely and only get on the roads come race day. You have more effective time on the trainer...less to get ready and less travel time.

THIRD, most importantly, KEEP the kids away from that bike and trainer. Those spinning wheels and gears can rip off hands and fingers faster than you can blink. 90 RPM is FAST!

I don't really enjoy watching movies so I still get outdoors if the weather is okay....trainer is last resort for me. I got clothes to stay warm now and head light, so not much can stop me now. Last couple rides I squeeze in between rain. Only downfall is a dirty bike. My buddies without kids really use the trainer more. Due to kiddo my time on trainer is either when she is eating or napping.

ENJOY the new toy! It will make you strong!!

Re: Indoor [Re: BassFever] #12007180 12/28/16 03:49 PM
Nocona Brian Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Man, that thing puts it on. I don't know about the 1 hour ride compares to a 1.25 hour ride on the trainer. With constant resistance, and no coasting, it seems like a shorter ride on the trainer equates to a longer ride on the road.

I know having not been too "active" over the past 2 months has taken a toll, but dang, that trainer will put a whipp'n on ya. Best I can tell I spun 8 miles on it yesterday and when I was finished I had to take a shower, legs totally spent and felt like jello. Maybe I need to go ride my normal route and see where I'm really at, granted I'm trying to keep it up around 18mph avg, but it's hard to do. I guess it's the coasting, maybe realizing I do it alot more than I thought.

I've kept it out in the shop when not in use, and only brought it in after the boys go down for a nap. Eventually when I get all the Christmas decor boxes put up, I'll get it setup in my shop and be able to be as loud as I please. So far they haven't been too interested in it.

Re: Indoor [Re: BassFever] #12008693 12/29/16 01:11 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
LOL, I mistyped that. Should be 1 hour on trainer is like 1.25 on the road. There have been articles published on it.
Sorry for confusion!

Resistance on a trainer ain't no BS. Get a fan and put it right on you....without it you about die. When on the road you have the wind to dry you off, but on a trainer...nothing but a towel and a fan. Watch a movie, scroll FB on the slower intervals, yell at wife to bring you more water! HAHA!

If it wasn't such a warm winter I'd be on my mine more....especially now I got speed and cadence (presents I got). Without those 2 I sort of felt lost.

Will you be getting a Trainer Road or Zwift membership?

Re: Indoor [Re: BassFever] #12008828 12/29/16 02:41 PM
Nocona Brian Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Yeah, I kind of figured that haha. It'd be really tough without atleast speed, if you could watch your HR I suppose you could go off that, but it'd still be tough.

As for trainer road or zwift, probably not right now. I really don't know how they work, and since my laptop kind of bombed out earlier this winter, I'd have to buy a new one and that's not a big priority at the moment. It'd be cool though. I might look into seeing if I could use the ant+ usb thing in the back of a tv and get one of those usb sticks that make it a smart tv and seeing if something like that could work.

Re: Indoor [Re: BassFever] #12008919 12/29/16 03:26 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B

I stole this from interwebs. One day!

Re: Indoor [Re: BassFever] #12008925 12/29/16 03:30 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
http://blog.benscycle.com/?p=4028

Groups meet like this. I know my buddy does this on his long rides. Pain is more pleasurable in groups. LOL!

Re: Indoor [Re: BassFever] #12008943 12/29/16 03:39 PM
Nocona Brian Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
They still have a laptop,

I have basically the same setup as this video, minus the computer, and ant+ usb/cord. The more I look into it, you have to have a computer to run it, or have bluetooth sensors, and a newer iOS device.
With a HDMI cable, you could go from the laptop to the tv and that'd get it up there. Thinking too, even if my computer would turn on, it had XP, so it still wouldn't work.

Re: Indoor [Re: BassFever] #12009001 12/29/16 04:15 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Good video.

I got all I need, minus the subscription to Zwift.

Re: Indoor [Re: BassFever] #12015575 01/02/17 01:45 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
I should have stayed indoors yesterday. New road surface material at the lake was slick. I slid out like a champ.....felt like a slip n slide over gravel. Good thing the concrete was wet. Bruised up hip, raw road rash. BUT my shorts didn't get a hole in them and I didn't break any bones! Gotta say it's a good start for the new year! Needless to say my ride was cut short.

I think a smile came across my face as I slide across the road (slow motion)....and of course jumped up as I stopped....my way of seeing if anything was broken on me. grin

I will spare ya'll the picture of my butt.

Re: Indoor [Re: BassFever] #12015833 01/02/17 04:17 PM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Dang, be careful out there. Know when to ride and when not to...

😎 Dallas Cowboys....eventual Superbowl Champions 😎

Re: Indoor [Re: BassFever] #12017085 01/03/17 03:02 AM
RO519 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I was planning on riding this morning but that storm pushed through Houston around 7-8. So we went about our day and I snuck off and rode 14 miles around 3. The bike path was crazy crowded. Almost ran over a Mexican kid and a chihuahua (whole families walking in the middle of the trial. bang) It felt good to get back on the bike. I was doing good before my tri, but I've been slacking ever since. I didn't workout once in the month of December bolt

The MS150 will be here before I know it. Time to get back in riding shape. Y'all oughta rode it with me. Good cause and a good ride.

Fightin' Texas Aggie '14

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Indoor [Re: Okie Poke] #12017511 01/03/17 01:39 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Originally Posted By: Okie Poke
Dang, be careful out there. Know when to ride and when not to...

Lesson learned, I had been on wet concrete but this surface material was way too slick...I was almost slipping just standing there. It was a drizzly foggy morning. Tire had just slipped (spun out) going up a hill, the next turn my back tire kept going straight.

Managed to walk and trot a mile yesterday....more like a shuffle. Felt like an old man trying to run, but I was determined.

Did some band exercises to loosen up afterwards. I found other parts of me sore day after. crazy

Re: Indoor [Re: RO519] #12017520 01/03/17 01:42 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Originally Posted By: RO519

The MS150 will be here before I know it. Time to get back in riding shape. Y'all oughta rode it with me. Good cause and a good ride.

I will be down your way for the Woodland's Marathon, you can come hoot and holler for me!

I doubt I will make the MS150. Kinda strapped for cash. Had to use Christmas money to pay entry into marathon.

Re: Indoor [Re: BassFever] #12017634 01/03/17 02:56 PM
Nocona Brian Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Man that sucks, that your 2nd crash? No broken bones or messed up gear is a good thing! I hate riding when it's wet, for the most part I only have 1 "highspeed" say over 18mph, sharp turn on all of my routes. It's a long down hill. I've cringed going through it while wet, luckily tires gripped and we went on through.

Re: Indoor [Re: BassFever] #12018398 01/03/17 09:36 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
I have fallen over cause I was clipped in....but I wasn't going anywhere. Happened a couple times, one I was first starting out and the other one, I forgot I was clipped in and wet to walk away....doh.

This was the first wreck moving. Hopefully last one!

I was SUPER LUCKY!

Re: Indoor [Re: BassFever] #12026221 01/07/17 06:53 PM
Nocona Brian Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Hahaha is how I'll start this off. Found someone giving away a set of rollers on FB, so I went and picked them up. Wife's at work, kids are asleep, so I just went out to the shop to give it a spin. Holy hell, it's like riding on ice. Granted I hopped on the bike with jeans and boots but dang, there's an art to riding on those things and it's going to take some practice! It's a pretty crazy sensation trying to pedal on it without holding on to something.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide