Main Menu
Newest Members
barronj, Bulletman99, George FI, stratosMan35, County Home & Ranch
102374 Registered Users
Top Posters
TexDawg 82233
hopalong 73508
Pilothawk 72916
JDavis7873® 67375
FattyMcButterpants 60428
John175 ® 59617
Tritonman 56546
Derek 56139
SkeeterRonnie 52408
LoneStarSon® 52003
Forum Stats
102374 Members
60 Forums
853937 Topics
11200241 Posts

Max Online: 36273 @ 01/23/13 02:34 PM
Topic Options
#11858725 - 10/01/16 11:27 AM Mercury poisoning
Bassin Fever Offline
Pro Angler

Registered: 01/30/06
Posts: 713
Loc: Colorado City
There was a post on here sometimes back that said we should be taking the spotted bass home and eating them. Alan Henry was a lake mentioned as one of the lakes that the spots had taken over. I read somewhere that it was also one of the lakes mentioned that one should not eat over 8 oz of fish from in a months time frame. It used to be in the Regulations Guide from Texas Parks n Wildlife but I can't find it. Has this been lifted so we can eat them now? ( just hoping as 8 oz is not very filling)
Definitely don't want Mercury poisoning.... I act stupid enough already...
"Get the Net"

#11858774 - 10/01/16 11:48 AM Re: Mercury poisoning [Re: Bassin Fever]
txmasterpo Offline
TFF Team Angler

Registered: 11/10/12
Posts: 4489
Loc: Emory

"What goes on around you compares little with what goes on inside you."

Ralph Waldo Emerson

#11858892 - 10/01/16 12:57 PM Re: Mercury poisoning [Re: Bassin Fever]
1oldbassguy Online   content

Registered: 08/04/16
Posts: 49
Bassinfever ,
Mercury poisoning is no joke . Heavy metals basically attack and degrade your immune system and they are next to impossible to get out of your body , it becomes a cumulative effect . In California , there are lakes and area's of the San Francisco bay that have signs all over that read " Pregnant women and children under age 12" should not consume any fish from certain waters . Some medical journals are now linking ADD , ADHD and autism to heavy metals in women .
I love a good fish dinner , but always makes me think if it's OK to eat them .
tight lines ,

#11859021 - 10/01/16 02:24 PM Re: Mercury poisoning [Re: Bassin Fever]
Bassin Fever Offline
Pro Angler

Registered: 01/30/06
Posts: 713
Loc: Colorado City
Thanks guys, I think there was a post recently about fishermen need to start taking those spots out of the lake and frying them up instead of releasing them back to multiply. I thought maybe those reading this might ought to think about catching a bunch and frying them up as this might not be the healthiest thing to do. This warning used to be in the Regulations book but now it appears on the Parks n Wildlife site.
I love good fish dinners and caught a mess of whites yesterday at Oak Creek Reservoir but it's not on the list.
We all might need to be aware that this is a concern in some lakes in Texas.
"Get the Net"


© 1998-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide