Print Thread
Colorado City State Park Lake and Lake Champion #11858327 10/01/16 05:06 AM
R
RonL Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
R
Level is only around 23% . Entrance gate cost $4/person . The lake has suffered tremendously since the drought that started in 2011 . 4 yrs worth this place nearly dried up . Couple yrs ago you could not even use a kayak . Now you can use a kayak but don't waste your time unless your catfishing . I saw no fish hitting top of water , saw only turtles and some minnows and that's about it . I tried several casting rods and lures , nothing . Then I tried out my new Cabelas' RLS+ Combo and a new Sage VXP with a Orvis Access III reel both combos in 5wt . The Cabelas' is med action and the Sage is Fast Action . Had a slight breeze at times shore fishing only . Water was clear with some moss . If any good fish are in this lake they are well hidden . I never got one bite whether it was a minnow or a panfish . I need more practice , I'm quite rusty with the flyrods . But I did get use to the cabelas' a lot easier and was throwing straight lines close to 40 ft. . The Sage I was lucky to throw 25 ft . Wind kep messing me up not allowing the line to lay straight on the Sage/Access combo . Really surprised cause I thought from research the VXP was suppose to handle wind well ?? For me and having a breeze I couldn't say that was true but then again like I say , I'm quite rusty and need more practice time . Used a green popper top water and a chartreuse Clouser . Since the leader was 9ft tapered I didn't add any tippet to the leader . I figured I'd just go with the leader only . Took a few pictures of the lake . You can see in the pictures how local docks are laying on the ground a long ways from water . Very disappointing to see this still after all the rain we had out here this past year . But I don't think they got as much as some or being dry the water soaked in the ground like a sponge . We went over and checked out Lake Champion to south of Colorado City a few miles . That place looks horrible , bait shop they use to have looks like a ghost town now and there is no over night camping anymore . Doesn't look like a place I want to hang out anymore . All growed up and water is about 22% . Bank fishing only in very few select places . Sad to see it so bad too . I use to fish there some 20 yrs ago and enjoyed it . Now it's a waste of time frown .

Last edited by RonL; 10/01/16 03:00 PM.

RonL
Re: Colorado City State Park Lake and Lake Champion [Re: RonL] #11858416 10/01/16 12:40 PM
B
BoPro Offline
Angler
Angler
B
A 40 yard cast is pretty far. Maybe you meant 40 ft. You might had a little trouble feeling the VXP load. Sage's fast action rods tend to like more line out to load better. Most of my fishing is on Sage's ultra-fast rods, and I tend to carry at least 30-40 ft of line in the air to make em sing.

Keep at it. You'll get the hang of it. cheers

Re: Colorado City State Park Lake and Lake Champion [Re: RonL] #11858441 10/01/16 01:12 PM
M
MassAction Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Don't be too hard on yourself, first time out with a new rod is tough for anyone. Let alone casting in West Texas wind.

A tech solution will may help but is also a bit more expensive is trying a heaver line like Rio Grand (or Rio Gold with its heavier head) which will help load the rod better.

I lived in Lubbock for a year, and never found any good fishing despite there being lakes everywhere. The good news is you're a stone's throw from awesome fishing in New Mexico!

Re: Colorado City State Park Lake and Lake Champion [Re: BoPro] #11858596 10/01/16 03:03 PM
R
RonL Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
R
Originally Posted By: BoPro
A 40 yard cast is pretty far. Maybe you meant 40 ft. You might had a little trouble feeling the VXP load. Sage's fast action rods tend to like more line out to load better. Most of my fishing is on Sage's ultra-fast rods, and I tend to carry at least 30-40 ft of line in the air to make em sing.

Keep at it. You'll get the hang of it. cheers

Thanks for catching that , my bad . I went back and corrected that . I definitely need more practice !!

RonL
Re: Colorado City State Park Lake and Lake Champion [Re: MassAction] #11858607 10/01/16 03:07 PM
R
RonL Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
R
Originally Posted By: MassAction
Don't be too hard on yourself, first time out with a new rod is tough for anyone. Let alone casting in West Texas wind.

A tech solution will may help but is also a bit more expensive is trying a heaver line like Rio Grand (or Rio Gold with its heavier head) which will help load the rod better.

I lived in Lubbock for a year, and never found any good fishing despite there being lakes everywhere. The good news is you're a stone's throw from awesome fishing in New Mexico!

Yes I do believe I'll need to change to Rio Grand in the future ! Where abouts in NM is a good place to go to fish from bank ? Would love to try that in the future .

RonL
Re: Colorado City State Park Lake and Lake Champion [Re: RonL] #11858672 10/01/16 03:44 PM
M
MassAction Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Originally Posted By: RonL
Yes I do believe I'll need to change to Rio Grand in the future ! Where abouts in NM is a good place to go to fish from bank ? Would love to try that in the future .

Cimmaron Canyon State Park is wonderful. It's a fairly long drive but it is well worth it during the summer. Great fishing and a wonderful respite from the Texas heat.

Last edited by MassAction; 10/01/16 03:44 PM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide