Forums59
Topics1,037,804
Posts13,934,747
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Let's talk about the THSBA west division tournament on Lewisville today... #11847276 09/25/16 02:13 AM
M
milkfisher Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
M
Let me start by saying that as a second year boat captain I'm 100% behind the THSBA staff and all of the many, many, MANY volunteers involved in this sport. This is not to speak negatively about them in any way, shape or form.

268 teams fished Lewisville today. Wow. That's prof that this high school sport is taking off. I didn't see the final weight, but the leading team weight was 19 and some change and a nice young lady was leading big fish with just over 7lbs. Lots of happy kids involved today. Lots of good anglers showing up today. I saw nothing but well mannored, polite kids.

My question is how does THSBA manage the growth? Launching 268 boats from 1 location takes hours. Literally. My boys were in line to launch for over 2 hours. Many, many teams missed their take off order due to the back ups. Is trailering the answer? And How many teams can 1 lake handle on a given day before teams are tripping over each other? IMO there aren't many lakes in the West Div that are big enough to handle the amount of teams that will be showing up for the tournaments this year.

Again....huge props to the THSBA staff. Amazing job they are doing. i cant believe how smooth it went today with such a big crowd. Awesome job!!

Last edited by milkfisher; 09/25/16 02:15 AM.

www.BlastandCast.org
"Pointing Outdoorsman Towards The Cross"
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Let's talk about the THSBA west division tournament on Lewisville today... [Re: milkfisher] #11847288 09/25/16 02:19 AM
Alex Finch Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
They did a numbered take off last year on Fork. I believe there were close to 200 there. They allowed travelling by water to the take-off ramp, but every team took off from that ramp. I didn't captain at Lewisville, but I don't like waiting forever to launch either, so my first question at registration would've been whether coming to the take off via water was okay.

I haven't fished many tournaments with a numbered take-off the past few years. It's refreshing to fish one every now and then.

Online Orders: www.finchnastybaitco.com
E-mail Orders: finchnastybaitco@gmail.com

Finch Nasty Bait Co. is now an Authorized Retailer of Keitech Fat Swing Impact swimbaits! We offer select sizes and colors that match our line of Thumpers (bladed swim jigs) and universal swim jigs.
Re: Let's talk about the THSBA west division tournament on Lewisville today... [Re: milkfisher] #11847304 09/25/16 02:27 AM
M
milkfisher Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
M
They do allow you to launch at other ramps as long as you show up at the launch area for takeoff. Maybe that's the answer. I don't know. I didn't feel comfortable traveling across the lake in the dark to avoid the line. Maybe that's something we look at moving forward.

www.BlastandCast.org
Re: Let's talk about the THSBA west division tournament on Lewisville today... [Re: milkfisher] #11847416 09/25/16 03:25 AM
SkeeterRonnie Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
The same thing would happen at champs if ppl waited in one line at sunrise. Get there early and launch, or come from another ramp.

Re: Let's talk about the THSBA west division tournament on Lewisville today... [Re: milkfisher] #11847424 09/25/16 03:28 AM
D
Douglas J Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
D
I will say this here as I have said when it first started, they need to look at limiting the fields. You could split it into 2 days and have half the boats each day. I know the days are different and the conditions can change, but it is high school fishing, not the Classic or Forrest Wood Cup.

I have free time and I have the ability to find a few fish and could captain a team, the only I reason I never have is I saw the "cluster factor" that was coming w. The big boys fish in limited fields, I do not see why the high school tour can't follow suit.

I really do not have a dog in this fight, except I do pay school taxes and I hold a valid fishing license. For the record, I am all for the whole deal, wish we would have had it when I was coming up, but it needs to be tweaked, badly.

Growth without being prepared for growth will kill any organization...

#MFGA
Re: Let's talk about the THSBA west division tournament on Lewisville today... [Re: milkfisher] #11847433 09/25/16 03:32 AM
Der Vorsteher Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I am a captain for the Weekender Division. You can launch and sit at your spot, first cast is at 6:30. We got there extremely early worried about the line and we launched without waiting.

Team Wolfs
Re: Let's talk about the THSBA west division tournament on Lewisville today... [Re: milkfisher] #11847452 09/25/16 03:40 AM
J
jimmye123 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
Bass champs has 250 + at every tournament, no issues there

Fun-N-Sun Metro Director
06 Legend le21
Fast cars, fast boats,
Re: Let's talk about the THSBA west division tournament on Lewisville today... [Re: Der Vorsteher] #11847461 09/25/16 03:46 AM
M
milkfisher Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
M
Originally Posted By: Der Vorsteher
I am a captain for the Weekender Division. You can launch and sit at your spot, first cast is at 6:30. We got there extremely early worried about the line and we launched without waiting.

What is the weekender division? THSBA doesn't allow leaving the launch area previous to take off time. I.E...no waiting on a spot for first cast.

Last edited by milkfisher; 09/25/16 03:46 AM.

www.BlastandCast.org
Re: Let's talk about the THSBA west division tournament on Lewisville today... [Re: milkfisher] #11847535 09/25/16 04:29 AM
S
Squirrely Dan Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
I don't captain but really debated the last month on doing it. The only reason I didn't is because I was worried about a headache like this and I've never been involved to see what it's like and how it goes. Seems to me best option instead of having regions maybe have smaller "area" trails spread out across other lakes. Kinda like district works in school sports. Then as season goes the teams qualify by standings to next level and so on to regional and state tourny. You wanna give these kids a chance to succeed, but if you're still trying to launch 2 hours after their take off time and having that many on one lake it might be discouraging. Also with the West region a couple of the lakes do not seem very "West" friendly with very long drives.

Fully sponsored by my mom
Re: Let's talk about the THSBA west division tournament on Lewisville today... [Re: jimmye123] #11847585 09/25/16 05:10 AM
John P085 Offline
Angler
Angler
Originally Posted By: jimmye123

I was thinking the same thing. Over 300 teams at Rayburn...

Re: Let's talk about the THSBA west division tournament on Lewisville today... [Re: milkfisher] #11847639 09/25/16 11:22 AM
RedRanger Online Content
burro desagradable
Online Content
burro desagradable
What ramp did they use?

Re: Let's talk about the THSBA west division tournament on Lewisville today... [Re: milkfisher] #11847661 09/25/16 12:07 PM
D
dr.juice Offline
Angler
Angler
D
Hidden cove. We put in at Little Elm with now issues in and out. When we went to Eagle Mt. and Richland Chambers it was a different story.
The difference in BC and High School fishing is that BC is not a beginner circuit for captains or students. Several experienced tournament fisherman captain the High school but the majority are not. The communication is not ideal in instructing the freshman tournament angler on what to expect and what their options are. They will learn on their own but that will take time. A flyer or maybe a link to a site that goes over protocols to make things flow before,during and after the tournament would help most. Remember you do not know what you do not know. They are not going to search and question because they have no idea even if they have fished a few little tourneys. I am a beginner and been fishing tournaments for 20 yrs.
More than a few captains either did not read the rules or are setting a poor example. Life jackets not being worn, Kids sitting on the front deck while running, no wake violations( Getting them ready for BCs I guess) and fishing close to other boats. We were anchored, fishing a point and had 7 different boats go between us and the bank. Several captains where Rock Stars. We never left the marina area and pretty much could watch everyone come and go. One captain in a Skeeter fished near us most of the day ( he never fished) and was a great example of doing the right thing.
A lot of teams never caught a keeper. Mine included. They caught over thirty bass. Maybe a paper scoring division and a weighing division. Include the captains weight in the paper division. Two tournaments in one. It is mentally difficult (not Fun) sometimes to sit and watch but not participate.
Love the idea and cherished the day on the water with my daughter and her partner. I does need some tweaking though.

If you're not happy naked you won't be happy with clothes on. Don
Re: Let's talk about the THSBA west division tournament on Lewisville today... [Re: jimmye123] #11847663 09/25/16 12:10 PM
RedRanger Online Content
burro desagradable
Online Content
burro desagradable
Originally Posted By: jimmye123

Most of those guys are grown adults with lots of tournament experience.

And backing up a boat and launching has to be slow with only one person qualified to do that.

We have high school kids, and as I remember I had a hard time waking up before noon when I was in High School. Plus they are not seasoned tournament fishermen.

Re: Let's talk about the THSBA west division tournament on Lewisville today... [Re: milkfisher] #11847667 09/25/16 12:14 PM
RedRanger Online Content
burro desagradable
Online Content
burro desagradable
So does the adult fish? This would seem a little odd to me.

I was thinking it was a High SChool fishing match.

Re: Let's talk about the THSBA west division tournament on Lewisville today... [Re: milkfisher] #11847686 09/25/16 12:42 PM
Simmonsdlwa Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I captained for the first time yesterday and have to say all in all it was a great experience. I did not know the two boys on my boat beforehand, their club uses a draw system for boats when they have volunteers. In their 3 years, they had gotten to fish twice due to a lack of enough volunteers. They were respectful and really enjoyed being on the water learning about the sport most of us love.

Launch was nuts but I think its impossible to compare to Champs where you have two seasoned adults handling that chore. My two didn't have their drivers license, could not operate the boat and had never run a trolling motor. From what I could see this was the case for at least a third of the field. One adult backing down, climbing in, finding a beaching spot among 270 boats, walking back to the truck and going to park. Took us over an hour to get to the ramp from the gate. It was fairly orderly just incredibly time consuming. When I got back to the boat, I told boys if nothing else they were learning to run the trolling motor that day. They did with instruction and practice and enjoyed it. That's the deal for most of the kids and getting them on the water ensures we have a future generation of fishermen conservationists to help protect our water rights.

One possible recommendation

School teams should be instructed to try to communicate beforehand and launch together so the captains can help each out. Or you better get there early.

I'll definitely volunteer again.

David Simmons
www.rayhubbardbassclub.com
214 392 2611
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide