Forums59
Topics1,039,183
Posts13,960,494
Members144,192
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Let's talk about the THSBA west division tournament on Lewisville today... [Re: milkfisher] #11848378 09/25/16 08:20 PM
C
Crankenstein7 Offline
Angler
Angler
C
I would like to make a suggestion, they needed someone on a bull horn telling the team that have higher take off numbers to please stay back,, I had a very early number, in the top 12, but I could not get by people with numbers over 100 ,, I was up towards the front but as soon as the National anthem was over the ones in front of me started charging to the front we need someone monitoring that better other than that the day went great

Big Sack..!!!
PB 12.24 Ray Roberts 2014
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Let's talk about the THSBA west division tournament on Lewisville today... [Re: milkfisher] #11848643 09/25/16 10:52 PM
T
Thecrankster Offline
Angler
Angler
T
...I AM NOW A HUGE FAN OF THSBA...YOU GUYS AT THSBA DID A AMAZING JOB AND IF YOU CARE ANYTHING ABOUT FUTURE OF OUR YOUTH GET INVOLVED AND HELP...I KNOW I'LL BE VOLUNTEERING AND CAPTAINING FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE..THANKS AGIAN GUYS

Last edited by Thecrankster; 09/25/16 10:53 PM.

"Be willing to throw where others won't and you'll catch fish others dont"

"Never caught a fish with my lure out of the water"

Re: Let's talk about the THSBA west division tournament on Lewisville today... [Re: Thecrankster] #11848662 09/25/16 10:59 PM
K
Ken Starling Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
Thank you. All the directors are volunteers. The tournament director and Adminstration assistant is the only ones that get paid. They have full time jobs as well. So anybody that would like to volunteer doing anything at the events please contact me and we will find a place for you.
Originally Posted By: Thecrankster
...I AM NOW A HUGE FAN OF THSBA...YOU GUYS AT THSBA DID A AMAZING JOB AND IF YOU CARE ANYTHING ABOUT FUTURE OF OUR YOUTH GET INVOLVED AND HELP...I KNOW I'LL BE VOLUNTEERING AND CAPTAINING FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE..THANKS AGIAN GUYS

Re: Let's talk about the THSBA west division tournament on Lewisville today... [Re: milkfisher] #11848680 09/25/16 11:13 PM
T
Thecrankster Offline
Angler
Angler
T
Who would have thought there would be 522 kids on the lake bass fishing...I don't like the idea of any kid not getting to fish because they can't find a captain so guys please help these kids...If I had money no kid would be without a boat...

"Be willing to throw where others won't and you'll catch fish others dont"

"Never caught a fish with my lure out of the water"

Re: Let's talk about the THSBA west division tournament on Lewisville today... [Re: RedRanger] #11848716 09/25/16 11:28 PM
Der Vorsteher Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: milkfisher
Originally Posted By: Der Vorsteher
I am a captain for the Weekender Division. You can launch and sit at your spot, first cast is at 6:30. We got there extremely early worried about the line and we launched without waiting.

What is the weekender division? THSBA doesn't allow leaving the launch area previous to take off time. I.E...no waiting on a spot for first cast.

Totally different trail

https://m.facebook.com/Weekenders-High-School-Fishing-1652787674965489

[/quote=RedRanger]So does the adult fish? This would seem a little odd to me.

I was thinking it was a High SChool fishing match.[/quote]

In ours we can. We do a side pot. We had 112 teams at Martin Creek last weekend.

Team Wolfs
Re: Let's talk about the THSBA west division tournament on Lewisville today... [Re: milkfisher] #11848725 09/25/16 11:33 PM
N
Nathan_Flovin Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
N
I've been trying to bring this to my school for weeks now is it to late to sign up or should I keep trying?

Re: Let's talk about the THSBA west division tournament on Lewisville today... [Re: Nathan_Flovin] #11848949 09/26/16 01:03 AM
K
Ken Starling Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
It is not too late to start. We do try and encourage teams to be registered before the first event. You do have to fish 3 events to be eligible for Regionals.
Originally Posted By: Nathan_Flovin
I've been trying to bring this to my school for weeks now is it to late to sign up or should I keep trying?

Re: Let's talk about the THSBA west division tournament on Lewisville today... [Re: milkfisher] #11848955 09/26/16 01:05 AM
K
Ken Starling Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
That is a totally separate group in East Texas, has no affiliation with the THSBA
I am a captain for the Weekender Division. You can launch and sit at your spot, first cast is at 6:30. We got there extremely early worried about the line and we launched without waiting.
Originally Posted By: milkfisher

What is the weekender division? THSBA doesn't allow leaving the launch area previous to take off time. I.E...no waiting on a spot for first cast.

Re: Let's talk about the THSBA west division tournament on Lewisville today... [Re: Ken Starling] #11849151 09/26/16 02:18 AM
N
Nathan_Flovin Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
N
Ok cool thanks I'll try to talk to my principal this week.

Re: Let's talk about the THSBA west division tournament on Lewisville today... [Re: milkfisher] #11849737 09/26/16 02:21 PM
C
Cullndinks Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
C
As a boat captain and a parent adviser for our local HS team, I want to say that the THSBA has done an admirable job of planning for and putting on these tournaments! The growth that all of the divisions are experiencing is exciting, but obviously comes with some hardships as well. In my opinion, when planning and running a HS event, safety has to be the number one focus/goal as we can't afford a serious mishap, and next would be creating a good tournament experience. The field sizes are starting to make it difficult to ensure either of these goals.

From a safety perspective, I believe the responsibility lies with each boat captain. Regardless of the situation, it is up to the boat operator to put safety first, and this should be reiterated at every team meeting by those hosting the meeting, with a zero tolerance policy for known infractions. And for the record, I don't believe that just making each event a "trailering event" and letting everybody fly at the same time from all different places is the answer either. It depends on the lake as to whether this is safe or not. The most dangerous situation we faced last year happened during a trailering event and within 1 minute of launch, there were 30+ boats coming from different directions and opposite sides of a bridge that only had a small pass through opening under the bridge because of the high water at the time. It is a miracle that we did not have a major collision between boats or with the bridge pilings.

Creating a good tournament experience for these young anglers is getting harder as the field sizes grow. Leaving at 3am so you can arrive at the lake at 5am only to wait in long lines to launch, having no place to park the boat and wait, treading water for an hour waiting for your boat # to be called, praying for an open 100 yard stretch of bank to fish unmolested by other boats, coming back to weigh-in to again find no area to park the boat safely while you try to bag and weigh your catch, then once the chaos of putting the boat back on the trailer is done, you can't find a parking spot closer than a mile away from the weigh site....wheeeeeew, my blood pressure went up just writing this! Creating a good tournament experience, especially for the newest and greenest of anglers and boat captains, with the field sizes the way they are, is near impossible.

Thanks to Tim and Ken, and all the folks who have taken on this monster we call High School bass fishing. If we always keep in mind SAFETY and creating a good tournament experience, I think this program will continue to flourish...until the UIL takes it over and kills it with ignorance and incompetency.

Re: Let's talk about the THSBA west division tournament on Lewisville today... [Re: milkfisher] #11849759 09/26/16 02:32 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
Just thinking out loud here but where you gonna put that many on granbury or Hubbard creek?

Re: Let's talk about the THSBA west division tournament on Lewisville today... [Re: WAWI] #11849823 09/26/16 03:01 PM
M
milkfisher Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
M
Originally Posted By: whatsaweighin
Just thinking out loud here but where you gonna put that many on granbury or Hubbard creek?
It's going to be tough.

www.BlastandCast.org
"Pointing Outdoorsman Towards The Cross"
Re: Let's talk about the THSBA west division tournament on Lewisville today... [Re: milkfisher] #11849826 09/26/16 03:01 PM
T
Team LIL Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
T
I think the crew with THSBA did a great job. Nobody had any idea the west division would grow this quickly. Yes there are growing pains when you're successful and that is clearly the case. Granbury will be difficult if we have that kind of turnout but as long as all of the captains use their heads, we'll get through it. I have ideas as well but I'm not on the board so I'll keep them to myself.

There are a lot of novice boat captains that are doing their part to get these kids on the water. Instead of getting pissed, try talking to them if you see them doing something they shouldn't. There's a good chance they just don't know what they're doing isn't right or within the rules. Some of these things need to be addressed within individual school clubs. Again, I think it's due to the fact that that are unaware.

The main thing to take from this is that the future of bass fishing appears to be stronger than ever!

TLM
Re: Let's talk about the THSBA west division tournament on Lewisville today... [Re: milkfisher] #11850011 09/26/16 04:33 PM
GeoFisher Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
THSBA does a wonderful job. Just like the east tx group, these guys have had to deal with tremendous growth in a very short 3 year span. The decisions these guys must make on a daily basis take vision and foresight. Anyone involved in HS fishing at the administrative level has learned this: If you are not looking 6-12 months ahead, you are behind! There is never time to simply settle and enjoy your efforts because the game is always changing. Staying one step ahead and dealing with the here and now is hard work!! If you can make 75% of the people happy, you have done one hell of a job. A tip of the cap to everyone involved!!

Everything on your bass boat is broken......You just don't know it yet.
Re: Let's talk about the THSBA west division tournament on Lewisville today... [Re: milkfisher] #11851889 09/27/16 04:12 PM
Badbassdad Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I captained Saturday at lewisville. we stayed in the park overnight and launched at 0530 for flight 4 #88... we beached and sat for an hour and the launch went really smooth.. everyone was super respectful and I didnt see any bumping or real close calls. As far as launching, my 15yo is allowed to pull the boat off the trailer and idle around to pick me up as I park the trailer. he is not allowed to operate the main motor otherwise. the wind was crazy on saturday and the primary spots were stacked with more boats than fish!!

4 of our 5 teams weighed fish and we were 16th overall.. but I agree there were too many entries at the same marina, lots of multiple tries on the ramp and not near enough parking..

never the less I will be at everyone of these!!

thanks,

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide