texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,008
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,320
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,323
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,876
Posts13,954,640
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Sunny vs cloudy days #11843513 09/22/16 07:09 PM
Nathan_Flovin Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
What conditions work better for fishing? I've heard some people like a cloudy and windy day but others say clam and sunny days work best. What to y'all think, what do y'all like to use during your favorite conditions?

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Sunny vs cloudy days [Re: Nathan_Flovin] #11843538 09/22/16 07:20 PM
epicoutdoors Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Partly cloudy to cloudy, just before and during a frontal passage are often prime time.
Cloudless, bluebird days just after a front with flat water can be tough, although at times they will chomp on these days.

Re: Sunny vs cloudy days [Re: Nathan_Flovin] #11843546 09/22/16 07:25 PM
R
redskeeter190 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
It depends on how you are fishing......grass...pads...ledges...docks....I prefer sun....it positions the fish where you'd expect them to be.....cranking rocks, etc....shade....they stay shallow longer.....

Re: Sunny vs cloudy days [Re: Nathan_Flovin] #11843655 09/22/16 08:41 PM
Donald Harper Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
- I always start with my Spook on both situations. On cloudy days I can stay with it longer as long as they are biting and get to all 3 of my best spots.
- I also build my spinner baits for both sunny days and cloudy days. I have 3 variations of each day. So if it is going to be cloudy for a few hours then the sun pops out I will have as many as 6 spinner baits tied on along with the spook.
- When fishing shallow the first 3 hours each morning; I will be fishing the heaviest cover on the lake.
- If the wind is blowing and the wind blown banks are fishable then that is where you will want to be at the end of the 3rd. hour throwing a spinner bait.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: Sunny vs cloudy days [Re: Nathan_Flovin] #11843926 09/22/16 11:00 PM
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
This is my take on both sunny and cloudy days. Fishing is just not about this only. Each of these days come with calm, windy conditions, approaching fronts, after the front, clear water, stained water and muddy water; as well as the cover that the particular lake is holding for shallow water fishing.

I will try to present this with ideal conditions so to speak for each of them; but all of this changes when other conditions come into play. The techniques are the same but blade combinations and colors must change.

** Sunny day
You have a very small early daylight hour to top water so you must have your spots picked and move quickly to each of them spending no more than 15 min. on each hoping to find that quick bite to put 5 keepers in the boat. I pre-fish 60 spots just to find one good spot. The Bass's eyes are very sensitive to bright sun and when that takes place you will find them holding tight to the thickest cover they can get in. It does not have to be total shade. Bass will suck up to a small bush just to have some shade for the eyes. They will only stay there until the feed is over then return to their comfort zone which is only a few yards away. Heavy grass in 0 to 6 feet will help this situation and is extremely important on sunny days.
- I start my morning with my Custom Spook throwing it beside the heaviest cover that is available. I use a technique called the "Dying Quiver". Let the bait sit beside the cover for a long period of time after the splash down. Almost all of your strikes will come on this sitting; so be patient. Then perform a quick soft downward tap of the rod tip against the water on a tight line then throw slack to make the spook do a 180 degree turn. Let it set for about 10 seconds then another quick downward twitch to make it spin in the other direction. After it sits for a few more seconds I will start the walk to the nearest bush. Let the spook walk into the bush. It is OK if it gangs a under water limb. This will really irritate a Bass in that bush that does not want to leave the shade to bust the spook. Many times my partner who is throwing a pinch weighted Fluke will pitch to the bush and a huge Bass that refuses to surface will be caught. Pay very close attention to any bush movement letting you know there is one in there. Many hours of practace in a pool will perfect this technique; but is all about this custom spook and it's balance.
- My Custom Hank Parker's in 3 combinations have proven to be very effective on sunny days around heavy cover. All armed with the Stanley Pro Trailer. I like the Copper willow replacement for the big blade with a white/char./Blue skirt. One with a Silver Willow replacement blade with a White/Silver Hologram skirt. The third one with a Gold Willow replacement blade with a white/Chart. skirt. I make two or three cast with each in the same area bumping into the bushes, logs, and grass. I let the fish tell me which one they are wanting and that usually doesn't take long. The others go in the rod box on the next move. Spend no more than 15 minutes in one spot then move across the cove to the other bank. This window is very short before they disappear. Have a plan to make very short runs to the next spot on sunny days to get as many in as possible during those first 2 hours of daylight.
- After that two hour period work the deepest bushes leading to deep water that are available. I like a fast fall presentation on all of your confidence pitching baits, like a lizard and 7" power worm in Pumpkin-seed on a 1/2 oz. Trig..

**Cloudy Days
I love the clouds and light winds which will cause the fish to stay shallow longer on that morning. Light winds moving the cover like grass and bushes makes them feel much safer which allows you to get up close and personal.
- Fishing the spook or your favorite top water becomes much more productive the first 3 hours of your morning. You still don't have time to waste so stay with the 15 min. rule and move fast until you find the fish you are looking for. Short cast with the spook is key for heavy cover. Any farther and a huge fish will do a number coupled with 3 sets of treble hooks. I use 25 lb. Stren Mono on the spook. Braid presents a real problem in heavy cover with any wind.
- My Cloudy day spinner baits are a little heavier than the Hanks at a .035 wire with shad heads and still run the Stanley Pro Trailers. All have as large of an eye that I can put on them in Chart. Prism. I like the larger blades #5 also and will always have one with gold Colorado blades, with Watermelon/pumpkin brown stripe/chart. black stripe skirt. One will have a Silver Blue Diamond dusted Willow blade and a smaller White Diamond dusted hologram blade with white black strip/purple char. stripe/ chart. white stripe. The third has a Gold Willow diamond dusted Green Hologram and the small blade is Chart. Diamond Dusted Hologram with a white/chart. skirt.
- After this longer top water and spinner bait presentation I move to the same deeper bushes but switch to lager profile baits like a brush hog in watermelon/Red on 1/2 oz. Trig..

Websiite Sponsors:

Re: Sunny vs cloudy days [Re: Nathan_Flovin] #11844527 09/23/16 12:31 PM
David Welcher Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I like to fish - I don't care what kind of weather. If it wern't for work, I'd be fishing right now.

Re: Sunny vs cloudy days [Re: Nathan_Flovin] #11844620 09/23/16 01:23 PM
C
CCTX Online Content
mapquest
Online Content
mapquest
C
Low light conditions generally help put some odds in your favor.

What lure and what presentations I prefer can depend on multiple factors including water temp, water clarity, water color, current, forage type/location/activity, lake rising/lake falling, and season (along with wind and light conditions)

[Linked Image]
Re: Sunny vs cloudy days [Re: Nathan_Flovin] #11844900 09/23/16 03:19 PM
jcarring99 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
6 SB's tied on at one time? I'd have to have 30 rod and reels if I did that.

Joel Carrington
214-770-7978
email: joel@carringtonroofingdfw.com
Carrington Roofing & Construction, LLC
For financing click: https://app.gethearth.com/partners/carrington-roofing-construction-llc/joel
www.carringtonroofingdfw.com
Re: Sunny vs cloudy days [Re: Nathan_Flovin] #11844912 09/23/16 03:24 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
Cloudy/windy - Shallow to mid-depths

Sunny/calm - Deep

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: Sunny vs cloudy days [Re: jcarring99] #11844935 09/23/16 03:38 PM
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: jcarring99

Those are the 7 rods used for the first early morning round. These others may never come out of the box; but the other 8 rods are in the rod box for:
- Heavy Drop Shot for deep grass.
- Light Drop Shot
- Light Crig
- Heavy Crig
- Wacky rig
- Pitching and flipping rig
- Crank Bait
- Pinch weighted Fluke and Senko

Websiite Sponsors:

Re: Sunny vs cloudy days [Re: jcarring99] #11844942 09/23/16 03:40 PM
W
WacoHawgCaller Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
W
Originally Posted By: jcarring99
+1

WacoHawgCaller
of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox, 1954

I BUY HOUSES - ANY CONDITION - ANY SITUATION

IF YOU REFER SOMEONE TO ME AND I BUY THEIR HOUSE. I PAY YOU $500.00 Waco to Buda and most everywhere in between.
Re: Sunny vs cloudy days [Re: Nathan_Flovin] #11844947 09/23/16 03:43 PM
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
6 spinner baits is for when it starts out cloudy then the sun breaks out in a couple of hours. That is cut down to 3 if it is one or the other.

Websiite Sponsors:

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide