Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Pitching Jigs vs Creature Baits #11844625 09/23/16 01:24 PM
BigBassB Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
When it comes to pitching vegetation I have always used a pegged 1/2-1oz weighted creature bait, however I'm starting to like the versatility of using a structure jig in its place. I am a co-angler and any time I can use one rod/bait in multiple ways it helps due to the minimal number of rods I am able to bring with me. The jig would allow me to use it other situations (swimming it, dragging it, etc.). I just have never really used a jig to pitch vegetation so was wanting to get your opinions.

What are you thoughts on a trigged creature bait vs a jig? Do you prefer one of the other and why?

Thanks

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Pitching Jigs vs Creature Baits [Re: BigBassB] #11844712 09/23/16 02:04 PM
C
ChanceHuiet Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
C
Plastic more bites but the jig is known for bigger bites. Personally I use plastic 99% the time but I've gotten to where I use a punch skirt alot.

Originally Posted by lakeforkfisherman
I can backlash toilet paper.
Re: Pitching Jigs vs Creature Baits [Re: BigBassB] #11844799 09/23/16 02:39 PM
Donald Harper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Pitching Plastic allow you to change colors, change profiles and etc.. That is a big plus when fishing a tourn.. Changing a jig out takes time.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: Pitching Jigs vs Creature Baits [Re: BigBassB] #11844958 09/23/16 03:49 PM
T
the skipper Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
A jig seems to catch a lot more grass for me. It will get the bigger bite although if you put either in front of the same fish I bet they will eat it.

Re: Pitching Jigs vs Creature Baits [Re: BigBassB] #11844989 09/23/16 04:04 PM
C
catslayer Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Tend to use tx rig to try to find them. And a jig once I know where they are and want to catch the biggest of the bunch

"I'll never mess with bee's or wasp anymore, and I'll never gig another beaver..." Words from a man who learned things the hard way
Re: Pitching Jigs vs Creature Baits [Re: Donald Harper] #11845013 09/23/16 04:23 PM
04champ Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
Pitching Plastic allow you to change colors, change profiles and etc.. That is a big plus when fishing a tourn.. Changing a jig out takes time.

re-tying a jig doesn't take any longer than getting a new plastic out of the box, pulling off the old one, and putting a new one on the hook

Re: Pitching Jigs vs Creature Baits [Re: BigBassB] #11845025 09/23/16 04:30 PM
Brent S Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
If the guy up front is throwing a big jig going for a reaction bite it may be better to stick with a plastic. That's my rule of thumb.

Re: Pitching Jigs vs Creature Baits [Re: 04champ] #11845043 09/23/16 04:50 PM
Donald Harper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: 04champ

re-tying a jig doesn't take any longer than getting a new plastic out of the box, pulling off the old one, and putting a new one on the hook

If I am in a tournament. Nothing is in a box to go digging for. Everything is on my seat attached so I can get to is quickly. I keep 3 or 4 packages in my pocket of different colors ready to put on. I believe I can put on a plastic faster than you can cut and retie a jig.

Websiite Sponsors:

Re: Pitching Jigs vs Creature Baits [Re: BigBassB] #11845172 09/23/16 05:57 PM
B
Bassslayerr Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
It all depends on the condition. In most cases, a jig is best for fewer but bigger fish. And a creature bait Is a little better for numbers

Just a DREAMER dreaming BIGGER
Re: Pitching Jigs vs Creature Baits [Re: Donald Harper] #11845195 09/23/16 06:09 PM
04champ Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: 04champ

If I am in a tournament. Nothing is in a box to go digging for. Everything is on my seat attached so I can get to is quickly. I keep 3 or 4 packages in my pocket of different colors ready to put on. I believe I can put on a plastic faster than you can cut and retie a jig.

you might be right but it's the difference between 15 seconds and 30 seconds

Re: Pitching Jigs vs Creature Baits [Re: BigBassB] #11845594 09/23/16 10:46 PM
Donald Harper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Your right if 15 second makes or breaks your day then we're doing more wrong than switching out baits.

To the OP:

There are many things that one can do to optimize your rods. You will talk to your boater before the tournament to determine how the fishing day is going to go. You would not want to be rigged up for shallow water if he is going directly to the humps and stay in deep water all day.

I know on my Skeeter it is designed to hold 7 rods beside the passenger seat. Cut that down to 5 and I believe that would be reasonable and acceptable. Load them up with your first 4 hours of fishing. The only reason to retie something on would be if you are getting schooled by the boater or break off.

Shallow water first 4 hours.
- #1 - Top water rod with a clip to change out baits. My spook works much better with the clip. This also lets me switch to Square Bill crank baits when needed quickly. I can even clip on a spinner bait or swimbait if needed; as I use the twisted line tie baits. So that is 3 in one set up.

- #2 - Pinch weighted Fluke - I use the split bullet 1/32 weight at the nose of the bait. It can be removed quickly if you want to throw something weightless. This will also accommodate a sinko, stud fry and trick worm. When you are in really heavy cover and paying attention to your boater while he is throwing top water; target every bush with the Fluke as he passes that bush with the top water. We have won tournaments following up the spook as it passes a bush. Unless the boater is knocking them dead on top water; I will be throwing the Fluke.

- #3 - Light Crig. - 1/8 oz. short leader to 16 inches. 3.0 hook will accommodate many soft plastics but is technique specific; meaning that is all you can do with it. It is absolutely deadly on the grass with a fluke and 10" worm.

- #4 - Trig. 3/8 oz. pegged. It is set up for pitching and flipping heavy cover and bushes. This can be used for a quick Crig. just by sliding the weight up the line. It is a quick fix for that when you get stuck out on a point and want to drag a few up hill until the boat gets straight and back to the bushes. I have caught many big fish from the back of the boat by switch a pegged Trig over to a Crig and throwing out to deep water.

- #5 - of your choice - I would do a wacky rig.

Last edited by Donald Harper; 09/23/16 10:54 PM.

Websiite Sponsors:

Re: Pitching Jigs vs Creature Baits [Re: BigBassB] #11845641 09/23/16 11:38 PM
C
ChrisPowellFishing Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
I Start off with a Jig, heavy Grass Jig 100% of the time. and if i can't get bit I will down size to a soft plastic with a pegged tungsten sinker

Subscribe to the channel!
www.youtube.com/c/ChrisPowellFishingTV
Like me on Facebook!
www.facebook.com/ChrisPowellFishing
Follow me on Instagram @ChrisPowellFishing
Giving you a better understanding of the sport we love!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide