Forums59
Topics1,037,799
Posts13,934,688
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Biggest Mental Mistake in a tournament? [Re: kellisag] #11848225 09/25/16 06:42 PM
Brent S Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
So you passed the polygraph but we're disqualified later?

Wonder how many people pass polygraphs but broke rules.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Biggest Mental Mistake in a tournament? [Re: kellisag] #11848235 09/25/16 06:47 PM
T
toofy Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
Wait....you can only have 5 fish??

Re: Biggest Mental Mistake in a tournament? [Re: kellisag] #11848239 09/25/16 06:50 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
My biggest mental mistake would be the Table Rock tourney last year. Grabbing a bass from the live well, in a marina, by the "no hole cull clip"'and watching a 4 pound kicker flip off the back of the boat.

I finished 4th after that....lost a new serial number 0001 Z18 by around 3 pounds because I was a fish short of a limit at weigh in. I would have led wire to wire.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Biggest Mental Mistake in a tournament? [Re: fouzman] #11848358 09/25/16 08:03 PM
Clark Reehm Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted By: fouzman
Originally Posted By: CoachCBA
Originally Posted By: kellisag
Saw on Bassmaster.com where Fred Roumbanis missed the classic cut by 3 points. The kicker is he opted to release a small keeper early on the first day thinking a limit would be no problem. He ended the day with only 4 fish, that 2lber would have bumped him 5 spots in AOY points and into the classic.

That got me to thinking, what is the biggest mental mistake you have made in a tournament and what did it cost you?

Why would he do that if it wasn't dying?

He was concerned that it would and he wouldn't be able to cull it. And he thought he'd be able to replace it with a better fish.

I had a 2 lber die at Amistad in an Elite Series tournament on Day 1 so I couldn't cull it out under Texas Law and BASS Rules. I ended up with 29lbs that day with a dead 2 lber. I would have needed to catch a 6.5 just to make any sort of cull since I couldn't legally get rid of the dink. I ended up throwing back several quality fish that would have seriously helped me... Lost to the "Magic Tree" by 12oz.

I brought 6 fish to the scales two years ago at Lake Toho in an FLW Tour event. I can honestly tell you I had no idea that here were 6 in the box until I was pulling them out by the culling tags to put them in the box. I can only assume that I scratched that fish off of my recording board but never went back to physically remove it from the livewell. With the 2lb penalty I ultimately finished 69th. That 1.25 lb fish cost me $10,000 and about 25points that haunted me up until the last cast at the Potomac when I caught the final fish I needed to qualify for the Forrest Wood Cup.

Re: Biggest Mental Mistake in a tournament? [Re: Ken A.] #11848388 09/25/16 08:28 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Ken A.
Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES
Originally Posted By: Ken A.
My partner and I brought SIX fish to the dock just prior to weigh in. Culled the smallest at the dock not knowing I was breaking the rules. Went to weigh in and won the tourney and passed poly. The TD was informed I was culling at the dock and asked me if I would forfeit my catch - which I did.

My DUMB mistake not knowing I couldn't have more than five in my livewell at any time in the tourney. That's how I got my nickname, Six Fish.....

bang

Who was your partner, Junior Samples ? Tempted to ask how much $$$$ it cost you but don't want to sound like I'm rubbing it in.

scared

Junior Samples.. Ha! You are showing your age!

It cost us about $1,500 and a lot of embarrassment. hammer

Ha, I go back to Amos n Andy. Could have been worse Ken, read SteezMcQueen's post.

popcorn2

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Biggest Mental Mistake in a tournament? [Re: SteezMacQueen] #11848396 09/25/16 08:30 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
My biggest mental mistake would be the Table Rock tourney last year. Grabbing a bass from the live well, in a marina, by the "no hole cull clip"'and watching a 4 pound kicker flip off the back of the boat.

I finished 4th after that....lost a new serial number 0001 Z18 by around 3 pounds because I was a fish short of a limit at weigh in. I would have led wire to wire.

Steez, did you tell the guy who won how lucky he was. smirk

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Biggest Mental Mistake in a tournament? [Re: kellisag] #11848414 09/25/16 08:46 PM
B
beartrap Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
two biggest tournaments I ever fished were the redman/bfl all-Americans in 1993 and 2001....and I managed to screw up in both of them....
in 1993 I was leading after the first day under tough conditions and I had a little over 11 lbs...All-American was only two days back then and second day I didn't have a fish until about 15 minutes before I had to make a 65 mile run back to weigh-in...short flurry of bites on a spinner bait enabled me to catch three fish quickly...was using 20lb test silver thread line and re-tied after 3rd fish and next cast hooked a 2 1/2-3lb fish...fought him to the boat and as I swung him over the side...line broke and he swam off...no time left so I had to leave....finished second and got beat by 2lbs so losing that fish cost me first place....first place was $100,000. and second place was $20,000.

my other all American screw up was at lake Hamilton in 2001...first day I had a good limit and culled several times....pulled up to the coliseum and started putting fish in my weigh in bag and discovered I had 6 fish in my livewell...my catch which would have easily put me in the top 5 was disqualified...to this day,I have no idea how it happened

Re: Biggest Mental Mistake in a tournament? [Re: kellisag] #11848500 09/25/16 09:44 PM
K
kcb Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
The Silver Thread curse. Some of us fished that line in the late 80's. Smoothest best performing line you could get. Problem was we were using it on Lake Fork. No real problems with it. Used 20 all the time. For a tournament I got some 30 and spooled up. Caught a big fish on it. Partner was using 20 which we had done for the longest with no problem. Mid day he had a fish on and coming to the boat that made a run to the left getting into a small brush pile and breaking off. We got a good look at the fish and it would have easily put us in 1st place. Difference in a check of 1,500 and a 1st place check of 10,000.

Re: Biggest Mental Mistake in a tournament? [Re: Clark Reehm] #11848558 09/25/16 10:22 PM
E
elkhartdom Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
E
Originally Posted By: Clark Reehm
Originally Posted By: fouzman
Originally Posted By: CoachCBA
Originally Posted By: kellisag
Saw on Bassmaster.com where Fred Roumbanis missed the classic cut by 3 points. The kicker is he opted to release a small keeper early on the first day thinking a limit would be no problem. He ended the day with only 4 fish, that 2lber would have bumped him 5 spots in AOY points and into the classic.

That got me to thinking, what is the biggest mental mistake you have made in a tournament and what did it cost you?

Why would he do that if it wasn't dying?

He was concerned that it would and he wouldn't be able to cull it. And he thought he'd be able to replace it with a better fish.

I had a 2 lber die at Amistad in an Elite Series tournament on Day 1 so I couldn't cull it out under Texas Law and BASS Rules. I ended up with 29lbs that day with a dead 2 lber. I would have needed to catch a 6.5 just to make any sort of cull since I couldn't legally get rid of the dink. I ended up throwing back several quality fish that would have seriously helped me... Lost to the "Magic Tree" by 12oz.

I brought 6 fish to the scales two years ago at Lake Toho in an FLW Tour event. I can honestly tell you I had no idea that here were 6 in the box until I was pulling them out by the culling tags to put them in the box. I can only assume that I scratched that fish off of my recording board but never went back to physically remove it from the livewell. With the 2lb penalty I ultimately finished 69th. That 1.25 lb fish cost me $10,000 and about 25points that haunted me up until the last cast at the Potomac when I caught the final fish I needed to qualify for the Forrest Wood Cup.

which is why I only carry 5 bouys in my dry well, no chance of getting a 6 mixed up for sure.

at the sound of my name, fish tremble
HI HO SILVER AWAY!!!ranger Z521,250 sho,black and silver
TD: BMET 6263
http://theboatcentertx.com
bmoet@facebook
"I humble myself before God, there the list ends" Sam Houston
Re: Biggest Mental Mistake in a tournament? [Re: kellisag] #11849070 09/26/16 01:47 AM
M
Matt Jackson Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Pull out of the water and forget to put the livewell on recirc.

Re: Biggest Mental Mistake in a tournament? [Re: kcb] #11849114 09/26/16 02:07 AM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
Originally Posted By: kcb
The Silver Thread curse. Some of us fished that line in the late 80's. Smoothest best performing line you could get. Problem was we were using it on Lake Fork. No real problems with it. Used 20 all the time. For a tournament I got some 30 and spooled up. Caught a big fish on it. Partner was using 20 which we had done for the longest with no problem. Mid day he had a fish on and coming to the boat that made a run to the left getting into a small brush pile and breaking off. We got a good look at the fish and it would have easily put us in 1st place. Difference in a check of 1,500 and a 1st place check of 10,000.

That boat & trailer was worth a lot more than $10K bud, even back then.

Re: Biggest Mental Mistake in a tournament? [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #11849290 09/26/16 03:06 AM
S
SteezMacQueen Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES
Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Steez, did you tell the guy who won how lucky he was. smirk

Didn't have to....the crowd watching us bag up our catch saw it. It was like "oh [censored]"! They looked at me like I had a death in the family. All I could do was take a breath and go weigh in my others. Took two days to get myself back into the top. By the time I got on stage, the MC asked me about the marina before I could start to say thanks. Lol. They all knew.

"Did you see that red neck throw his kicker out the back?" I could hear it all the way from the boat. Haha.

Would have been my first wire to wire.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide