Print Thread
Looking for advice on fishing the jetties #11830647 09/15/16 07:52 PM
S
sacklunch Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
I've fished the jetties a few times over the years, and have not really had much success. Usually I find myself cursing the extreme water movement and seem to constantly be battling the jetty itself as my rigs get pulled toward those boulders. Is that just simply part of jetty fishing, or are there some trick the veterans use for more success? Is fishing the bottom with weights (I assume a spider weight) basically the best way to go?

Fishing the jetties a couple time a year does sound appealing, simply because of the mystery of what's on the other end of the line, and I'd like to become more productive at it on the rare occasions I have the chance to do so.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Looking for advice on fishing the jetties [Re: sacklunch] #11830685 09/15/16 08:18 PM
C
ChubbyChaser Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
What jetty are you fishing? Are you fishing from the jetty or on a boat fishing towards it?

Re: Looking for advice on fishing the jetties [Re: sacklunch] #11830745 09/15/16 08:42 PM
S
sacklunch Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Mostly the jetty on the North end of Port Aransas. Other times it will be the jetty South at the Packery Channel.

Re: Looking for advice on fishing the jetties [Re: sacklunch] #11831470 09/16/16 03:46 AM
M
MathGeek Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
M
Easier from a boat. Just let down until it hits bottom and reel back up a bit.

Casting from a pier or the jetties themselves is harder. You need weight to keep it down, but then the current pulls the line into rocks.

You need some current for fish to bite, but too much and your line gets into the rocks.

I try and find a spot where I can just let down a weighted bait in the current and keep it off the bottom. Usually the end of a pier or a bend in the rock line.

�Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake?" - The Messiah
Re: Looking for advice on fishing the jetties [Re: sacklunch] #11832685 09/16/16 08:05 PM
C
ChubbyChaser Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Actually I think fishing from the jetty is actually an advantage because you can fish closer to the rocks (that's where the fish hand out).

Jetty fishing can be intimidating and annoying but there are a couple of things that I have learned over the years.

The first and most important thing to remember is that a jetty is a big piece of structure that is very much different from its surrounds (beach), therefore fish are attracted to it. Where there are small fish, the bigger fish will be there following. So no need to try to cast your line away from the jetty when the fish are usually close to the submerged rocks.

Secondly, always keep moving, baitfish don't usually stay in one spot so neither do the predatory fish. The bite usually comes in waves and once you find the fish, the bite is usually consistent. One thing I like to do is start casting in the early morning in the wade guts (think of this area as the sandbars one goes from shallow to deep when swimming on the beach. Predatory fish like cruise in the guts (the deep part of the sandbar). I slowly make my way down to the end of the jetty as the morning progresses until I find fish. Target areas on the jetty that are different (big rocks sticking out, any structure that looks different than the rest of the jetty) and areas that break up the current like eddies or submerged structure.

Lastly, the rigs you use are determined by the fish your after (seasonal like any fish) but generally you wont get hung up as much if using an lemon rig or free lining. Shiny lures work well too.

Re: Looking for advice on fishing the jetties [Re: ChubbyChaser] #11835368 09/18/16 05:02 PM
T
t101catfish Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
T
I found a lot of vermilion snappers tight up against the rocks on the north jetty at the packery cut. If I want to target these fish how should I rig and what bait should I use. There were apparently sheephead there too as a snorkeler was shooting them with a speargun.

Last edited by t101catfish; 09/18/16 05:04 PM.

Go Tech
Re: Looking for advice on fishing the jetties [Re: t101catfish] #11839757 09/20/16 09:05 PM
C
ChubbyChaser Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Originally Posted By: t101catfish
I found a lot of vermilion snappers tight up against the rocks on the north jetty at the packery cut. If I want to target these fish how should I rig and what bait should I use. There were apparently sheephead there too as a snorkeler was shooting them with a speargun.

Vermillion or Mangrove snapper?
I would recommend free-lining live shrimp with a small split shot and a circle hook. Try casting close to the submerged rocks.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide