Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Dead Bass on Fork [Re: redmojo] #11831411 09/16/16 03:06 AM
L
lipjerk Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Originally Posted By: redmojo
Some of you saying you don't care about how many fish die are part of the problem with all fisheries, some may say you are idiots, but what do I know. Selfishness in its greatest form.

Take it with a grain of salt, it's not meant to be serious.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Dead Bass on Fork [Re: ToadSnatcher14] #11831530 09/16/16 05:13 AM
R
Rog Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Originally Posted By: ToadSnatcher14
Originally Posted By: fouzman

Kinda like the sand bass deal has hurt the bass in Lake Fork. If truth was told the bass are in better shape now because of the Sand Bass than just 10 years ago. Those Big Bass now have something easier to eat and get full off of. Folks just need to figure out how to catch them.

That's my Forkin opinion.

8 sharelunkers from Fork in 2006-2007. -0- in 2015-2016. I'll bet many of the locals and guides would disagree on the health of the fishery today versus 10 years ago, as it relates to Big Bass.

Big bass "Share a lunker" in general yes. But I target Slot fish and those slightly over 24"

They still stack up and are there. Hell we caught 6 or 7 overs in 2012. 4 in one day. And 2 the next.

They are very plentiful.

Factor in weather and water conditions sure maybe 10 years is going back a little to far but my opinion is just that. Plus I know more now than I did then. You were in your prime then more than likely I would assume and I really was just a young punk kid fishing then. So things seem different to me than you see them. Reality for me getting a SAL is slim to none but a true over is not that hard at Fork if you spend some time.

grin

The lake has never returned to what it was before the kill. The kill year was the year the hydrilla started disappearing and eventually disappeared. Before then it was not uncommon to catch numbers of 6 - 7 lb fish in the 21" slot and it took a double digit to win almost every T. The summer and fall bite used to be phenomenal with big schools stacked on ridges/humps and roaming the creeks feeding up. The whites are not native to the part of the watershed and were introduced a few years back. The last several years those same place have been covered in whites with a few bass mixed. The drought, low water and lack of cover coupled with giant schools of whites everywhere really hurt the lake and the young population of bass. Until last year it had been years since I had really seen large schools of surface schooling bass. But this year with all the new cover the past two years I am seeing huge schools of schooling bass in the 6-12 inch range and some large schools of big unders. I have not seen that "like it used to be" in the past ten years. I predict we will see a couple SAL coming this fall, winter and or spring. And better sizes the next couple of years. The whites did not help. There were plenty of bar fish for them before the knuckle head introduced the whites. Hope to see your name on the leader board pulling those easy to get overs this weekend. Good luck to you.

Re: Dead Bass on Fork [Re: Rog] #11831531 09/16/16 05:25 AM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted By: Rog

Kinda like the sand bass deal has hurt the bass in Lake Fork. If truth was told the bass are in better shape now because of the Sand Bass than just 10 years ago. Those Big Bass now have something easier to eat and get full off of. Folks just need to figure out how to catch them.

That's my Forkin opinion.

8 sharelunkers from Fork in 2006-2007. -0- in 2015-2016. I'll bet many of the locals and guides would disagree on the health of the fishery today versus 10 years ago, as it relates to Big Bass.

Big bass "Share a lunker" in general yes. But I target Slot fish and those slightly over 24"

They still stack up and are there. Hell we caught 6 or 7 overs in 2012. 4 in one day. And 2 the next.

They are very plentiful.

Factor in weather and water conditions sure maybe 10 years is going back a little to far but my opinion is just that. Plus I know more now than I did then. You were in your prime then more than likely I would assume and I really was just a young punk kid fishing then. So things seem different to me than you see them. Reality for me getting a SAL is slim to none but a true over is not that hard at Fork if you spend some time.

grin

The lake has never returned to what it was before the kill. The kill year was the year the hydrilla started disappearing and eventually disappeared. Before then it was not uncommon to catch numbers of 6 - 7 lb fish in the 21" slot and it took a double digit to win almost every T. The summer and fall bite used to be phenomenal with big schools stacked on ridges/humps and roaming the creeks feeding up. The whites are not native to the part of the watershed and were introduced a few years back. The last several years those same place have been covered in whites with a few bass mixed. The drought, low water and lack of cover coupled with giant schools of whites everywhere really hurt the lake and the young population of bass. Until last year it had been years since I had really seen large schools of surface schooling bass. But this year with all the new cover the past two years I am seeing huge schools of schooling bass in the 6-12 inch range and some large schools of big unders. I have not seen that "like it used to be" in the past ten years. I predict we will see a couple SAL coming this fall, winter and or spring. And better sizes the next couple of years. The whites did not help. There were plenty of bar fish for them before the knuckle head introduced the whites. Hope to see your name on the leader board pulling those easy to get overs this weekend. Good luck to you.

Who stocked the white bass in Fork?

#MFGA
Re: Dead Bass on Fork [Re: SheCrappieKilla] #11831559 09/16/16 09:25 AM
P
PowPowOl'Son Offline
Angler
Angler
P
Comparing the number of Sharelunkers isn't an accurate way to look at the number of trophy bass. There are plenty of Sharelunkers caught that are NOT turned into because of the negative publicity the program has received. Based on Sharelunker numbers, no fish over 13lbs was caught last year on Fork, and we all know that's not true.

Re: Dead Bass on Fork [Re: Chuck A] #11831560 09/16/16 09:42 AM
RedRanger Offline
burro desagradable
burro desagradable
Originally Posted By: Chuck A
Originally Posted By: Scagnetti
I don't care how many die as long as it doesn't affect me having a good time

This is the problem with the world we live in today. The me attitude. Smdh

This post started in the OT section, and was moved.

Re: Dead Bass on Fork [Re: SheCrappieKilla] #11832004 09/16/16 03:09 PM
S
SetNhooks Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Don't sweat the small chit

Re: Dead Bass on Fork [Re: Chuck A] #11832016 09/16/16 03:13 PM
J
Jeezy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted By: Chuck A
Originally Posted By: Scagnetti
I don't care how many die as long as it doesn't affect me having a good time

This is the problem with the world we live in today. The me attitude. Smdh

roflmao

โ€œThe more you know about Donald Trump, the less likely you are to vote for him. The more you know about his business enterprises, the less successful he looks. The more you know about his political giving, the less Republican he looks.โ€ - Lindsey Graham, 2016
Re: Dead Bass on Fork [Re: SheCrappieKilla] #11832436 09/16/16 06:10 PM
R
Rog Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Doug rumor has it they were brought in from TWok. Not sure but they were not in the lake until the 2000s

Re: Dead Bass on Fork [Re: SheCrappieKilla] #11832542 09/16/16 06:50 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
I can name two Tawakoni striper/white bass guides who used to also guide bass trips on Fork who brought a bunch over. But I won't as one of them is still active, but not on Fork. Maybe there's a good enough white bass fishery for him to start guiding on Fork again. Bastage.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: Dead Bass on Fork [Re: SheCrappieKilla] #11832543 09/16/16 06:51 PM
reeltexan Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
Online Happy
TFF Celebrity

Josey said that buzzards gotta eat too, same as worms.

So do turtles and catfish.

"..The pleasantist angling is to see the fish
Cut with her golden oars the silver stream,
And greedily devour the treacherous bait.
Bill Shakespeare

[Linked Image]
Re: Dead Bass on Fork [Re: fouzman] #11832882 09/16/16 10:27 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
I can name two Tawakoni striper/white bass guides who used to also guide bass trips on Fork who brought a bunch over. But I won't as one of them is still active, but not on Fork. Maybe there's a good enough white bass fishery for him to start guiding on Fork again. Bastage.

Who is it?

Enquiring minds want to know...

#MFGA
Re: Dead Bass on Fork [Re: SheCrappieKilla] #11832936 09/16/16 11:09 PM
Bruce Allen Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
not just guides but a guy from Dallas that liked to catch'em would stop at Tawakoni and catch a limit and bring them to his place at Fork and dump' em in. Every weekend for 10 years and now he doesn't even hardly show up.

Today on the live release boat we probably fizzed 50 bass, had 4 of the 7 overs needed a lot of help and took 7 nice bass that were kept on ice to the egg man for dinner.

Like was said previously most of the anglers in the Sealy tournament only have one fish in their livewell's. It was not windy or particularly choppy so the bass pretty much had an easy ride. Some were caught deep.

Lake Fork Anglers
Every Thursday
Daytime Tournaments.

Lake Fork Sportsman's Association
www.lakeforksa.com/

We are VERY PROUD of our Induction into the
Texas Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame.

Re: Dead Bass on Fork [Re: SheCrappieKilla] #11832941 09/16/16 11:11 PM
Bruce Allen Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
here is what TPWD says about the share a lunker program in the future.

up until now they only spawned the pure Floridas and sent the non pure fish back to the lake where they were caught.

in the future they are going to spawn every bass over 13 lb because they have the genes to make "big" fish. So there will be many more fry to spread around the state.

Lake Fork Anglers
Every Thursday
Daytime Tournaments.

Lake Fork Sportsman's Association
www.lakeforksa.com/

We are VERY PROUD of our Induction into the
Texas Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame.

Re: Dead Bass on Fork [Re: Bruce Allen] #11832989 09/16/16 11:49 PM
D
David Burton Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
D
Originally Posted By: Bruce Allen
here is what TPWD says about the share a lunker program in the future.

up until now they only spawned the pure Floridas and sent the non pure fish back to the lake where they were caught.

in the future they are going to spawn every bass over 13 lb because they have the genes to make "big" fish. So there will be many more fry to spread around the state.

That's good, get some more native strain genes back in the water.

David Burton
2015 Skeeter FX 21 +Ultrex +Helix 12 (x3) +Mega360 +MegaLive
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide