texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,881
Posts13,954,755
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Swindle shares info with Ott? [Re: bassfshin24] #11825533 09/13/16 01:16 AM
F
Fishspanker Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
F
The best info they get is from each other. If they wanted it to be strictly on the single anglers ability they would eliminate info from others in the tournament. However this would be impossible. If one put rids out on the deck so another could see them that's info without saying a word.

You better have friends out on the Tour. They work in small groups. Room together, travel together, trade all kinds of info. Mainly help each other make the cut.

Thing I found interesting was I rode with Aaron Martens in the TTBC in May this year. He didn't even know then that he was going to Mille Lacs. The camera man who has filmed him numerous times said, " he doesn't know where he is going until Leslie tells him"

Aaron is probably on the low end of getting info.

Last edited by Fishspanker; 09/13/16 01:16 AM.

The Sheep who only fears the Wolf is eaten by the Shepherd.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Swindle shares info with Ott? [Re: bassfshin24] #11825541 09/13/16 01:19 AM
F
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
F
Originally Posted By: bassfshin24
He told him exactly where to go and what to use. To me that's not winning the tournament on your own. Just my opinion.

But I'm sure this happens in a lot of tourneys they have. Helping friends out when they are struggling. It was a classy move on Swindles part just a little unfair to Feider. Like I stated numerous times before...I am biased on this topic haha.

Swindle said "white Spook". Not what Ott threw.

Re: Swindle shares info with Ott? [Re: tejasbass] #11825558 09/13/16 01:25 AM
F
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
F
Originally Posted By: tejasbass
Defoe did not break any rules so I have zero problem with what he or G-man did.

"During practice and competition, anglers cannot solicit, receive or gather any information from anyone other than another competitor in the tournament."

With that being said, the rule should prohibit competitors from sharing information after the 1st day take off. Who better to get info from than a pro/friend? If the goal is run a legitimate competitive sport and pay the most skilled angler 100 grand, information sharing should be banned.

How would you do this? If they said two words to each other there would be some info in it. Or if one guys put a rod on the deck so Angler X could see it and Angler Y wasn't there it could appear to be info even if he would have put it on the deck with everyone around.

Re: Swindle shares info with Ott? [Re: bassfshin24] #11825567 09/13/16 01:32 AM
slim 285 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
I think BASS has got it right on the rules committee . That would be absurd to have no info between competitors .

Re: Swindle shares info with Ott? [Re: Fishspanker] #11825580 09/13/16 01:37 AM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Fishspanker
The best info they get is from each other. If they wanted it to be strictly on the single anglers ability they would eliminate info from others in the tournament. However this would be impossible. If one put rids out on the deck so another could see them that's info without saying a word.

You better have friends out on the Tour. They work in small groups. Room together, travel together, trade all kinds of info. Mainly help each other make the cut.

Thing I found interesting was I rode with Aaron Martens in the TTBC in May this year. He didn't even know then that he was going to Mille Lacs. The camera man who has filmed him numerous times said, " he doesn't know where he is going until Leslie tells him"

Aaron is probably on the low end of getting info.

I agree with everything you said Fish, these guys spend long stretches of time away from their families so it only makes sense many become close friends. Plus, this has to be one of the most difficult of all sports dealing with weather, travel, maintaining equipment and dealing with sponsors. And not that many make a lot of money, so why wouldn't they help each other out. Good on Swindle for being helpful to someone who needed it. Maybe next time the favor will come back to him.

thumb

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Swindle shares info with Ott? [Re: bassfshin24] #11825929 09/13/16 10:12 AM
H
H B Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
It's obvious that Ott Defoe earned that favor from Gerald Swindle through good sportsmanship, which is a big deal in sports that often gets overlooked. What goes around comes around. So at the end of the day Ott Defoe earned the win and that's the way it should be, my 2 cents sorry...

Re: Swindle shares info with Ott? [Re: bassfshin24] #11826197 09/13/16 01:32 PM
C
Cass Caldwell Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Swindle is a great guy, and it was definitely a classy move. Both guys are class acts. But personally, I don't agree with it being that they are fishing at the top level of our sport. You won't see pro football teams (or any other sport) sharing plays out of their play book on game day, or any other time. In my opinion, if you are fishing at the pro level, I want to see what you can do with your talent and abilities. Not what you can do with information that someone else gave you. I am a big fan of Ott, and I know he can catch them...not directing this statement towards him, just in general. Also, to me it's affecting the overall outcome of the tournament, if the information is only shared with one person and not the entire field.

Last edited by Cass Caldwell; 09/13/16 01:36 PM.

Owner, ShredFin Fishing Co.
Veteran Owned

[Linked Image]
Re: Swindle shares info with Ott? [Re: Cass Caldwell] #11826210 09/13/16 01:38 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
Originally Posted By: Cass Caldwell
In my opinion, if you are fishing at the pro level, I want to see what you can do with your talent and abilities. Not what you can do with information that someone else gave you.

Then you better find another professional sport to follow.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: Swindle shares info with Ott? [Re: bassfshin24] #11829811 09/15/16 12:08 PM
B
BCB Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Rule check;

Ott's a great guy and I've known him since he was a child. His Father Bud is top notch! Gerald's a friend and another sportsman with a great attitude. Seth we support and he is a nice young man. Gerald and Ott did nothing wrong. The point is made and well spoken, the position is clear and there is more to consider. No one did anything wrong or illegal here. Sportsmanship works both ways and there is more to consider.

The present information regulations need revisiting. They could police an information rule on the water and the game is about those who choke. These are not team mates, they are competitors in what should be a competitive sport. If Ott were in a position to overtake Gerald and he was struggling as he was, would Gerald have granted him access to those same areas? If the Cowboys are playing the Redskins and someone says during the game from a rival team like the TN Titan's that an edge exists to sway the outcome, is that fair? Legal maybe, fair another question.

These are all competitors and unlike football where 2 teams share a field, these are 108 Elite competitors and the edge given takes away another commitment and sways the outcome. Christie and Iaconelli are 13 and 10 points behind Ott, did this change their position in the AOY race? Could it have impacted a Classic spot by moving a competitor around one or two poiints, or more?

It's time to alter rules with the controversy on Jacob Prowznik and Koby Kreiger, to alter the no information and include an assistance section. This and more situations not discussed show that Bassmaster should revise the information sharing and preference ability that exists. Implement a rule that no competitor can share vital information on how and where to improve their catch, while on the water during the active tournament day. Implement another regulation that no competitors may in any way reserve their athletic involvement or reduce their activity in a manner which either could or would impact the outcome of an event.

It's not fair for the Atlanta Braves to slip back on a game or two. All done in order for a team they are playing to advance in their division on the Texas Rangers, by allowing them to reduce their games back. In essence any time an advantage is given in a sporting event your impacting the outcome or future of another competitor, or team. We have no teams presently in bass fishing. It's like NASCAR owners of teams once selecting who wins.

BCB
Re: Swindle shares info with Ott? [Re: bassfshin24] #11830314 09/15/16 04:42 PM
J
Jay Kumar Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Legal, happens all the time just 99.9% of the time no one hears about it.

Re: Swindle shares info with Ott? [Re: bassfshin24] #11830348 09/15/16 04:59 PM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
A sports antecedent that would go on to make history.

I interviewed Rink Babka for an article that was later published in a magazine. Babka was competing against the legendary Al Oerter at the 1960 Olympics in Rome in the discus throw and Oerter was really having a bad day early on. So, Babka walked over to Al and said he was making a technical error . . . and told him how to fix it.

The result? Al Oerter beat Babka, who likely would have won a gold medal that day, but got a silver medal instead. Oerter would go on to win two more Olympics, four in a row: 1956, 1960, 1964 and 1968.

The moral of the story? Babka helped a friend, a good thing, but I suspect no one on this board has ever even heard his name, ever. Oerter, on the other hand, went on to become an Olympics legend and a household name.

History and outcomes often pivot on the tiniest details.

I'm neutral on this fishing episode but think it would be best to manage it via rules. Hard to enforce, though, I'd imagine.

Brad

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide