Forums59
Topics1,037,879
Posts13,935,963
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
leaders, tippets , do you use both or just leaders ? #11818073 09/08/16 05:32 PM
R
RonL Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
R
Just wondering what most of you here use , leader only , leader plus tippet ? Not talking about carp or really big bass, mainly panfish up to maybe 4-5 lb bass if one gets on . With a tapered leader do you still use a tippet ?

Last edited by RonL; 09/08/16 05:33 PM.

RonL
Re: leaders, tippets , do you use both or just leaders ? [Re: RonL] #11818123 09/08/16 05:57 PM
M
Meadowlark Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
M
I use both.

On panfish, I really like the tippet for changing flies with out actually shortening the leader. Just tie on more tippet when you need it. I make all my own leaders as I prefer that over buying tapered leaders. I use various combos of a descending 50,40,30 or 40,30,20 or 30,20,12 plus tippet or something like that depending on size of fish, the environment fishing in, etc.

On panfish, I generally use 6 pound tippet. Used 6 pound tippet on Char recently in Alaska....but will use straight leader when after big fish in bad water, e.g. GT's I use a straight 130 pound test leader of about 4 ft.

So, it all depends on the situation...and it helps to be prepared to tie up whatever you need in whatever situation you find yourself.

Re: leaders, tippets , do you use both or just leaders ? [Re: RonL] #11818139 09/08/16 06:06 PM
R
RexW Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
R
I use tippet to extend the life of a leader. On a commercial tapered leader, about the first 2 feet will be level consistent diameter then the leader starts tapering to thicker diameters. (On a 3X leader for example, only the first 2 feet or so will actually be 3X diameter.)

Every time you cut off and tie on a new fly, you are shortening your leader from the tip. You can use tippet to replace the portion of the leader that has been cut off. Many people use 18 inches as their guide. (i.e. when a 9 foot leader gets down to about 7 1/2 feet in length, tie on about 18 inches of tippet to make the leader 9 feet in length again.)

Another use of tippet is to step down in size. Such as tying on a short piece of 5X tippet to a 3X leader to better fish a situation where the fish refuse to take a fly on the thicker leader.

Fly Fishers International certified casting instructor
TFO Rods pro staff
Re: leaders, tippets , do you use both or just leaders ? [Re: RonL] #11818151 09/08/16 06:10 PM
rrhyne56 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Just to add a bit to the mix, Cabela's has a tutorial slide show on lines, leaders, and tippets

http://www.cabelas.com/assets/collections/flyfishing/fly-fishing-leaders/index.html#

If you go to the section on Construction it may shed light on leader types for various purposes. I could type paragraphs. But they've done a much better job. Basically "Leaders with a long, thick butt section;short, steeply tapered mid section; and short, thicker tippet provide a powerful fly delivery, useful in wind or for big flies.

Leaders with a shorter butt section; longer mid section; and longer, thinner tippet deliver the fly more delicately, best for fishing in calm conditions with smaller flies"

"have fun with this stuff"
in memory of Big Dale
RRhyne56, Flyfishing warden
Re: leaders, tippets , do you use both or just leaders ? [Re: RonL] #11818314 09/08/16 07:31 PM
L
Lloyd5 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
L
I use a furled leader. They tend to last me for months at a time. All I have to do then is change the tippet as needed.

Last edited by Lloyd5; 09/08/16 08:34 PM.

Texas State Editor: FishExplorer http://www.fishexplorer.com/tx

http://www.amazon.com/River-Proceeds-Wou...ds=on+the+river

Warm Water Fly Fishing Nut
Re: leaders, tippets , do you use both or just leaders ? [Re: RonL] #11818513 09/08/16 09:12 PM
K
karstopo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
I don't really like the packaged tapered leaders. It's very simple to make leaders and there are a variety of formulas, materials and knots you can use. My go to is a perfection loop to welded loop in fly line. 25-40 pound butt, most of the time fluorocarbon, but Mono hard nylon works too. Sometimes I put in a mid section of something slightly smaller, then a tippet. My tippet choice is usually fluorocarbon for abrasion resistance. Blood knots between sections. Put a little UV cure on the knot for extra security and to smooth the knot if you want.

Re: leaders, tippets , do you use both or just leaders ? [Re: RonL] #11818866 09/09/16 12:52 AM
R
Robert Hunter Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
Both 100% of the time. Are use monofilament for my leaders as they give just enough stretch for a shock absorber for fewer breakoffs on hard hook sets.then always floro for tippit it will take a beating and still hold strong and it is next to invisible under the water unlike monofilament.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [url=https://postimages.org/][img]https://i.postimg.cc/bsQJFvLj/
Re: leaders, tippets , do you use both or just leaders ? [Re: RonL] #11819123 09/09/16 02:14 AM
H
hook-line&sinker Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
H
any and every way possible depending on the situation and the fly. furled leaders of braid for big stuff, longer mono/floro leaders for shy fish or small flys..

>)));> Wishin' I was Fishin' <;(((<

“Personnel is the most vital and important aspect of any industry.
If you’re just going to grind them up, it’s not going to end well for anybody.”
SCOTT REINARDY

Re: leaders, tippets , do you use both or just leaders ? [Re: RonL] #11819317 09/09/16 03:34 AM
R
RonL Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
R
All good info and thanks for the links also ! One other question , after understanding about the leaders, mid section and tippet how do you choose correct sizes for the fly line your using ? Other words I have two 5-wt poles/reels/lines , do you still consider the fish your after for leader/tippet sizes or do you have to use sizes depending the line wt mounted on your reel ? When I bought my RLS combo at Cabelas the sales rep I was talking to tried explaining the leaders and tippets but it didn't sink in . I ended up buy two different packs of leaders which i'll list below . Not sure now if they are what I need for my 5-wt lines fishing for Panfish up to say 4-5 lb range ?

Cabela's 4-PK , Tapered/Bass/9-ft/8-lbs, 9-lbs break point

RIO 3-PK , Tapered/Freshwater/7.5-ft/5X/5.0-lbs .

Last edited by RonL; 09/09/16 03:35 AM.

RonL
Re: leaders, tippets , do you use both or just leaders ? [Re: RonL] #11819372 09/09/16 04:33 AM
G
Glitchmo Offline
Angler
Angler
G
I want to know where you're catching 5lb panfish eeks

Leader choice has more to do with target species and fly choice than line weight choice (within reason, you wouldn't use 50lb tippet on a 5wt).

Standard tapered leaders are usually rated by the breaking strain of the final level (tippet) section. Information on the taper itself can be hard to determine, but I would expect something labeled for bass to have a faster taper, be better at turning over big flies, and be less delicate than the corresponding trout leader from the same manufacturer.

In the specific case you described, either of those leaders will be fine, but

1) panfish aren't line shy (in my experience)
2) you'd probably like to be able to throw a variety of fly sizes (in case you want to switch to poppers/bigger bass flies)

So the heavier 8lb leader would be my choice, but it's not a big deal.

Re: leaders, tippets , do you use both or just leaders ? [Re: RonL] #11819433 09/09/16 11:25 AM
K
karstopo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
Sounds like either one are good. Seems like the panfish and bass I've run across are pretty aggressive and don't require a delicate presentation. Heavier tippets are good around obstructions and weeds as they give you some margin to horse a fish out of the cover. They are also good if you chance upon a bigger fish than expected.

Remember, don't toss your tapered leaders in the trash when you eventually chew up the tippet section. Just tie in a new section of tippet, that can be any leader material (it doesn't have to say fly tippet on the package). Nylon mono leader is cheaper, but fluorocarbon really isn't bad unless you constantly change flies and use a lot of material to make your knots. Fluorocarbon isn't great for smaller topwater flies because it tends to drag them under.

Re: leaders, tippets , do you use both or just leaders ? [Re: Glitchmo] #11819627 09/09/16 01:48 PM
R
RonL Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
R
Originally Posted By: Glitchmo
I want to know where you're catching 5lb panfish eeks

Leader choice has more to do with target species and fly choice than line weight choice (within reason, you wouldn't use 50lb tippet on a 5wt).

Standard tapered leaders are usually rated by the breaking strain of the final level (tippet) section. Information on the taper itself can be hard to determine, but I would expect something labeled for bass to have a faster taper, be better at turning over big flies, and be less delicate than the corresponding trout leader from the same manufacturer.

In the specific case you described, either of those leaders will be fine, but

1) panfish aren't line shy (in my experience)
2) you'd probably like to be able to throw a variety of fly sizes (in case you want to switch to poppers/bigger bass flies)

So the heavier 8lb leader would be my choice, but it's not a big deal.

Thanks for that info ! Well guess I should have been more precise about panfish size up to 4-5 lbers' frown . Top end meaning maybe a bass upwards 4-5 lbs maybe wink .

RonL
Re: leaders, tippets , do you use both or just leaders ? [Re: karstopo] #11819632 09/09/16 01:51 PM
R
RonL Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
R
Originally Posted By: karstopo
Sounds like either one are good. Seems like the panfish and bass I've run across are pretty aggressive and don't require a delicate presentation. Heavier tippets are good around obstructions and weeds as they give you some margin to horse a fish out of the cover. They are also good if you chance upon a bigger fish than expected.

Remember, don't toss your tapered leaders in the trash when you eventually chew up the tippet section. Just tie in a new section of tippet, that can be any leader material (it doesn't have to say fly tippet on the package). Nylon mono leader is cheaper, but fluorocarbon really isn't bad unless you constantly change flies and use a lot of material to make your knots. Fluorocarbon isn't great for smaller topwater flies because it tends to drag them under.

Thanks for the info ! No I wont toss those tapered leaders , i'll use them . Just need to get me some tippet material now .

RonL
Re: leaders, tippets , do you use both or just leaders ? [Re: RonL] #11823012 09/11/16 06:50 PM
R
RonL Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
R
What size tippet is all around favorite size that's able to land a 4-lb bass if you hook one ??

RonL
Re: leaders, tippets , do you use both or just leaders ? [Re: RonL] #11823828 09/12/16 01:42 AM
R
RexW Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
R
Originally Posted By: RonL
What size tippet is all around favorite size that's able to land a 4-lb bass if you hook one ??

Unfortunately, the size of tippet that can land a 4 lb bass is determined more by the skill of the person holding the rod than the breaking strength of the tippet.

10 lb tippet is a good general purpose warm water size. Go up and down from there based on the fishing conditions. For example, in heavily wooded areas, you might want to step to 17 or ever 20 lb test.

Good luck!

Fly Fishers International certified casting instructor
TFO Rods pro staff
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide