Forums59
Topics1,038,941
Posts13,955,962
Members144,183
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: leaders, tippets , do you use both or just leaders ? [Re: RonL] #11823909 09/12/16 02:37 AM
R
RexW Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
Just noticed you currently have 9 lb and 5X leaders. My vote would be to use the 9 lb leaders for all your warm water (bass, bluegill, etc.) fishing and use the 5x whenever you go trout fishing. Use these leaders for a while and then base future leader/tippet choices based on your own experiences with these leaders.

Have fun.

Fly Fishers International certified casting instructor
TFO Rods pro staff
Re: leaders, tippets , do you use both or just leaders ? [Re: RexW] #11824085 09/12/16 10:57 AM
L
Linecaster Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Originally Posted By: RexW
Just noticed you currently have 9 lb and 5X leaders. My vote would be to use the 9 lb leaders for all your warm water (bass, bluegill, etc.) fishing and use the 5x whenever you go trout fishing. Use these leaders for a while and then base future leader/tippet choices based on your own experiences with these leaders.

Have fun.

Good advice. I use 8lb tippet Gills don't mind and Mr. Bass will have a chance of being landed.

In the beginning God created. Gen. 1:1
All things were made by him and without him was not anything made. John 1:3
Re: leaders, tippets , do you use both or just leaders ? [Re: RonL] #11824116 09/12/16 11:32 AM
K
karstopo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
That's the good thing about making your own leaders with your own custom features. Not every lake, River, bay, marsh is the same not to mention the fish. I'm not sure there is anything magic about so many leaders being nine feet other than to balance the need for good turn over and control of the fly with the need for stealth. Some situations might require more stealth and a light soft presentation and you could build a leader with a thinner tippet and maybe a shorter butt.

I usually make a couple leaders ahead of an outing and carry a little spool of tippet and mabe some butt material along just in case. Oysters are usually what get my tippets and occasionally butts messed up. Most of my leaders are 11 or 12 feet but that works for what I do which is typically laying out a decent sized weighted fly out in front of a red moving towards the fly. I can easily shorten it if I feel the need for better control. The longer leader just lets me do more fly changes before I replace the tippet and I feel is good in case a sheepshead comes along with their reputation of being leader/line shy. Point is whatever you are after, you can play around with lengths and diameters. I guess there are rules if you are going after tippet class records, but most people aren't going to worry about that.

Re: leaders, tippets , do you use both or just leaders ? [Re: RonL] #11824388 09/12/16 02:44 PM
R
RonL Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
R
Mainly I was concerned cause I've been told to just get some 2-lb mono line and use that for tippet for everything but looks to me like that would not be enough just by chance a bigger bass grabbed my fly . I did buy some Trilene 2-lb but thinking of getting some 4-5 lb mono also for bigger fish .

RonL
Re: leaders, tippets , do you use both or just leaders ? [Re: RonL] #11824508 09/12/16 03:49 PM
R
RexW Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
Originally Posted By: RonL
I've been told to just get some 2-lb mono line and use that for tippet for everything

Whoever told you that, probably does not fish in very many different locations or for vary many different species. For example, 2-lb tippet will be an exercise in frustration if used in most Saltwater fishing situations, you'd better be very good to stop a Bonefish with 2-lb tippet.

Bottomline, there is no one answer when it comes to lines/rods/leaders/tippet/flies/etc. The equipment has to be adjusted to match the fishing conditions, target species, and skill level of the person fishing.

Good luck!

Fly Fishers International certified casting instructor
TFO Rods pro staff
Re: leaders, tippets , do you use both or just leaders ? [Re: RexW] #11824559 09/12/16 04:14 PM
R
RonL Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
R
Originally Posted By: RexW
Originally Posted By: RonL
I've been told to just get some 2-lb mono line and use that for tippet for everything

Whoever told you that, probably does not fish in very many different locations or for vary many different species. For example, 2-lb tippet will be an exercise in frustration if used in most Saltwater fishing situations, you'd better be very good to stop a Bonefish with 2-lb tippet.

Bottomline, there is no one answer when it comes to lines/rods/leaders/tippet/flies/etc. The equipment has to be adjusted to match the fishing conditions, target species, and skill level of the person fishing.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info . I should have mentioned the 2-lb was for 4-lb and smaller fish . I was told it was the challenge of not loosing my fly . But mainly I'm directing at Pansize bream up to maybe 4-lbs bass if one just so happens to grab my fly . The one that told me that does a lot of FF but uses 2-wt rigs . But for now I'm more comfortable in the 5-wt class cause someday I might have a chance to go north for trout fishing but not looking to fish for salmon and big fish of similar size . Back in HS (1969) me and a friend bought some flyrod combos from an old Western Auto store in Winnsboro and I think we were first to ever FF at lake Winnsboro . People thought we were crazy . I think tho , hard to remember correctly the size we got were probably in the 5-7wt and boy we had the most fun on poppers , never used a dry fly before or sinkers . I do remember if was WF line tho cause it floated but we had the best time that summer . My biggest fish was a bass just under 3-lbs . That was one heck of a fight . Pulled it in by stripping , not reeling . We caught tons of crappie and bream . Lots' of red ear too and at times were lucky catching a goggle-eye . Can't wait to get back into that action now . Just building up my gear right now and almost ready !

RonL
Re: leaders, tippets , do you use both or just leaders ? [Re: RonL] #11833375 09/17/16 03:33 AM
R
RonL Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
R
Went back today to Academy Sports and got some 4-lb line for use as tippet making . So now that gives a roll of 2-lb and a roll of 4-lb . Using Berkley Trilene Super Strong line . I wanted 5-lb but they didn't have 5-lb so I figured the 4-lb would just have to work on my 5-WT rods .

RonL
Re: leaders, tippets , do you use both or just leaders ? [Re: RonL] #11834489 09/18/16 12:36 AM
C
CedarCreekWoody Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
I'm note using tippet rings to attach the tippet to the leader. Quick and easy to change the tippet.

Woody
Sea-Pro 170 CC
90 HP Mercury Saltwater

2014 Sun Tracker DLX 18
60 HP Mercury four stroke.

Re: leaders, tippets , do you use both or just leaders ? [Re: RonL] #11834557 09/18/16 01:09 AM
M
mbarker68x Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
M
Use Stern Folorocarbon for tippet material, 110 yard spool for $4 from Walmart. 10, 8, 6, and 4 for every thing but the trout fishing. Then I switch over to 5 and 6x actual tippet material. I use 6 and 4 on my 2wt rod, 8 or 6 on my 4wt, and everything on my 5wts. My TFO Axiom is closer to 6 maybe a 7wt that I use for the bigger fish.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide