859433 Topics
11275231 Posts

Max Online: 36273 @ 01/23/13 02:34 PM
Topic Options
#11804421 - 08/30/16 11:24 AM Seining bait
leanin post Online   content
TFF Celebrity

Loc: TEXAS
long ago, in a land far far away, I was white bass fishing with a friend, and we werent having much luck, so he decided that some live minnows from the lake are what we needed. He pulled out a net with 2 poles on it, and we went to a sandy shallow point, layed it out and then picked it up a little while later, and it had hundreds of minnows in it. was this luck, or is there a skill to minnow seining. Minnows are getting very expensive, and with the fish having plenty to eat this year, they are picky.
anyone have a reccomendation on where and what type/size net to get?

www.nekidtackle.com
Ask Ron about his crappie trolling rigs designed with input from top crappie fisherman!!

#11804451 - 08/30/16 11:43 AM Re: Seining bait [Re: leanin post]
The Crappie Guy Offline
TFF Celebrity

Loc: HV, TX and Lake Fork
My dad and I use to seine minnows. Sounds like the same type of net....pole on each end, 15-20' new between. The way we'd do it was that I would hold one end in shallow water near the bank and dad would stretch the net and make a half circle back to the bank. We never bought minnows.

#11804479 - 08/30/16 11:54 AM Re: Seining bait [Re: leanin post]
Txmedic033 Online   content
TFF Team Angler

Loc: Longview, Tx
Cast nets work great as well. Just make sure that the mesh is small enough to catch the little minnows. You can catch bait at deeper depths and you don't have to get in the water with a cast net.

#11804486 - 08/30/16 11:57 AM Re: Seining bait [Re: leanin post]
Mckinneycrappiecatcher Online   content
TFF Team Angler

Loc: mckinney, tx
I recommend just getting a 1/4" cast net. Easier to use for 1 person and catches minnows no problem. Go to a local creek and throw it in a shallow gravel ripple and you should get plenty of red shiners, which are crappie candy.

TCU class of 2019

#11804564 - 08/30/16 12:33 PM Re: Seining bait [Re: Mckinneycrappiecatcher]
TreeBass Online   content
Lt. Dan

Loc: Central Texas
I remember using a seine all the time for minnows when I was young

Originally Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher
I recommend just getting a 1/4" cast net. Easier to use for 1 person and catches minnows no problem. Go to a local creek and throw it in a shallow gravel ripple and you should get plenty of red shiners, which are crappie candy.

this is the way I'd go now ^^

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others

http://www.sure-life.com
http://www.proanglertackle.com
http://www.grizzlycoolers.com
LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum

#11804779 - 08/30/16 02:38 PM Re: Seining bait [Re: leanin post]
I love fishing Online   content
Extreme Angler

Loc: Ft Worth, Tx
You can catch lots of ghost minnows and other variety if minnows with seine net. Loved them net!! Ghost minnows are the key !!

#11805671 - 08/31/16 06:37 AM Re: Seining bait [Re: leanin post]
donothin Offline
Pro Angler

Loc: Belton Lake, Moffat
We usually catch all the minnows we can keep alive with a couple of drags at the boat ramp. Wife stands on the edge and i go out as far as I can with seine.

#11805782 - 08/31/16 08:06 AM Re: Seining bait [Re: leanin post]
Choupique Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: San Antonio
I seined a lot in Mississippi and Louisiana when I worked as a biologist - not just for bait, but to "sample" what was in the shallow water. When seining in running water you have to move downstream - otherwise you are fighting the current and most of your catch will get away. When minnows were scarce we would push a handful of corn meal into the bottom and wait a few minutes to catch a bunch. Move as fast as you can while making sure the lead line stays at the bottom. Make a "J" with the short leg at the bank - move along the bank a ways then the deeper (longer)leg comes to shore. A 14-16 foot seemed optimum for us - longer ones catch more fish/minnows but are hard to pull and harder to beach without a lot of practice and coordination between the net pullers.

#11805992 - 08/31/16 09:47 AM Re: Seining bait [Re: leanin post]
big10 Online   content
Extreme Angler

Loc: Temple, Texas
Iv done it a few times. Before the last crappie tournament I fished, my partner and I seined a lot of minnows and used them as well as jigs. We won big fish of the tournament and 2nd place overall. The tiny minnows were a big key in that.

That tournament was several years back and on Waco in August.
CTCT Facebook Page

#11806720 - 08/31/16 04:21 PM Re: Seining bait [Re: leanin post]
DryBass Offline
Pro Angler

Loc: Bangs Tx
When I was looking for the smaller size cast nets I ended up buying from a off shore fishing supplies company. I bought a nylon net and even though it was more expensive it has lasted a long time and still in good shape 6 years later.

#11810414 - 09/03/16 07:02 AM Re: Seining bait [Re: leanin post]
Lollygagger Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: East Texas
I wonder if you just tied a minnow trap to a bridge column (where there is visible active minnows / shad) for about 30 minutes while you're fishing close by and see if you could end up with some.

#11810816 - 09/03/16 01:29 PM Re: Seining bait [Re: leanin post]
TFF Celebrity

I have a wire type, cylindrical minnow trap, never had much luck with it. the bridge column might be a good idea. I just dont want to leave it anywhere very long, because curiosity tends to get the best of people when they see a rope going into the water.
knowing theres 40 million minnows in the lake, makes it hard to go pay for them,. thanks for all of the ideas, gonna figure something out., I think I could have doubled my catch several times this year if I had minnows.
Im sure just like shad, there are different broods of minnows at all times on the lake, of different size, but theres still a better chance of matching the hatch if they are caught where you fish

www.nekidtackle.com
Ask Ron about his crappie trolling rigs designed with input from top crappie fisherman!!

#11810823 - 09/03/16 01:35 PM Re: Seining bait [Re: Choupique]
TFF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: Choupique
I seined a lot in Mississippi and Louisiana when I worked as a biologist - not just for bait, but to "sample" what was in the shallow water. When seining in running water you have to move downstream - otherwise you are fighting the current and most of your catch will get away. When minnows were scarce we would push a handful of corn meal into the bottom and wait a few minutes to catch a bunch. Move as fast as you can while making sure the lead line stays at the bottom. Make a "J" with the short leg at the bank - move along the bank a ways then the deeper (longer)leg comes to shore. A 14-16 foot seemed optimum for us - longer ones catch more fish/minnows but are hard to pull and harder to beach without a lot of practice and coordination between the net pullers.

I grew up in southeast louisiana, in St.Bernard parish, and enjoyed fishing the river battures along the mississippi river, most people dont know what a Choupique is. Every once in a blue moon we would catch them, usually in shallow bogs. Strange looking fish, we also called them pickle fish. never ate one, couldnt get past the ugly.. lol

www.nekidtackle.com

#11811225 - 09/03/16 07:14 PM Re: Seining bait [Re: leanin post]
Fooshman Online   content
Extreme Angler

Loc: Black Dog, TX
We call them mudfish.

Custom Crosses and Plaques

© 1998-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide