Print Thread
Be open minded #11797591 08/26/16 03:55 AM
T
Thecrankster Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
T
I'm seeing a trend....Too many High School bass fishermen not enough captains..Right or wrong? Could this open door for High School kayak bass fishing teams? Would support it or Discourage it

"Be willing to throw where others won't and you'll catch fish others dont"

"Never caught a fish with my lure out of the water"

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Be open minded [Re: Thecrankster] #11797636 08/26/16 04:58 AM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
I could see that be a viable option but I doubt that it would get much tread to get moving. I imagine the kids see the pros on tv and would want to be like them in bass boats rather than kayaks. It would probably have some liability issue involved. In a boat they adult is there to supervise. It would be tough to come back from a kid being alone in a kayak and getting into trouble and drowning.

Boat captains, from my understanding, have to have a boat of a certain size, maintain certain insurance policies not to mention the time commitment. The schools really should look into purchasing boats and insurance and hiring part time employees to drive. In Texas, the football teams bring in enough money to send some of it towards other activities. Maybe some of the larger tournament trails should invest in their future by funding these also.

Re: Be open minded [Re: Thecrankster] #11797895 08/26/16 01:26 PM
C
cephusjoe Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
This is a good thread... Im not sure how I feel on this one. I think that the safety question is a concern, but maybe these kids should be fishing from a kayak? Maybe it will humble some kids at young age? This is going to give me something to think about today!

Mcurtain county okie
Re: Be open minded [Re: Thecrankster] #11797926 08/26/16 01:40 PM
R
redskeeter190 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
I'm the coach for a high school team.....you're 100% correct....not enough boat captains......about 1/2 of my club own "yaks"....and they have a "paper" tournament all the time......the really enjoy it....

Re: Be open minded [Re: Thecrankster] #11798124 08/26/16 03:11 PM
F
FisH4HogZ Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
Unfortunately, there aren't enough boat captains or boats for that matter. I imagine budgets, insurance and the upkeep wouldn't allow for recreational vehicles like a boat. I wish it was offered when I was in school, I think it's great that our youths's interest is growing more and more in this sport.

Last edited by FisH4HogZ; 08/26/16 03:13 PM.
Re: Be open minded [Re: Bobby Milam] #11798328 08/26/16 04:47 PM
T
Txduckhunter Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam

Boat captains, from my understanding, have to have a boat of a certain size, maintain certain insurance policies not to mention the time commitment. The schools really should look into purchasing boats and insurance and hiring part time employees to drive. In Texas, the football teams bring in enough money to send some of it towards other activities. Maybe some of the larger tournament trails should invest in their future by funding these also.

HS athletics bring money to the school. HS fishing does not (at this time) and is a terrible spectator sport. In actuality, HS fishing has little to do with the school and, IMO, needs to stay this way as long as possible.
I've seen everything from pontoon boats to ski boats at HS tourneys. If it floats and has a livewell, it has representation.
A smart boater should already have insurance and the added liability coverage shouldn't add much to the price if you aren't already there.
As far as time commitment? How much does it really take?
I'm already on the lake(s) almost every weekend. I do have to juggle my own tourneys to try and not conflict with the HS schedule but I'm upfront with my anglers. IF it's a conflict, they lose and we'll have to find them another captain for that date. It's happened a couple of times but this last year I passed on my stuff to fish with my anglers at their Regionals and State events. No way was I going to miss what "we" as a team had accomplished.
Which brings us to what it really is. An opportunity to bond with some youngsters, teach them a little about fishing and other life lessons and share in some of their greatest moments.
Time commitments?
Are we really to busy to invest in the future of the sport we love and the upcoming people who will continue it? It's TIME and a little money.....really.

Re: Be open minded [Re: Txduckhunter] #11798340 08/26/16 04:50 PM
L
Los Lagos Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
I dont believe the Bass fishing in HS so far is not actually UIL supported.Thus UIL funds are likely not available.

Re: Be open minded [Re: Thecrankster] #11798374 08/26/16 05:08 PM
BMCD Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Prolly a good lesson in general as to the expense of bass fishing via a boat.

Re: Be open minded [Re: Txduckhunter] #11798377 08/26/16 05:10 PM
D
dreamweaver96 Offline
Angler
Angler
D
Originally Posted By: Txduckhunter

HS athletics bring money to the school. HS fishing does not (at this time) and is a terrible spectator sport. In actuality, HS fishing has little to do with the school and, IMO, needs to stay this way as long as possible.
I've seen everything from pontoon boats to ski boats at HS tourneys. If it floats and has a livewell, it has representation.
A smart boater should already have insurance and the added liability coverage shouldn't add much to the price if you aren't already there.
As far as time commitment? How much does it really take?
I'm already on the lake(s) almost every weekend. I do have to juggle my own tourneys to try and not conflict with the HS schedule but I'm upfront with my anglers. IF it's a conflict, they lose and we'll have to find them another captain for that date. It's happened a couple of times but this last year I passed on my stuff to fish with my anglers at their Regionals and State events. No way was I going to miss what "we" as a team had accomplished.
Which brings us to what it really is. An opportunity to bond with some youngsters, teach them a little about fishing and other life lessons and share in some of their greatest moments.
Time commitments?
Are we really to busy to invest in the future of the sport we love and the upcoming people who will continue it? It's TIME and a little money.....really.

Could not have put this any better!!!

Re: Be open minded [Re: Thecrankster] #11798393 08/26/16 05:17 PM
T
Thecrankster Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
T
You think there's no boat captains now wait til we hit the financial crisis wow

Re: Be open minded [Re: Thecrankster] #11798439 08/26/16 05:35 PM
T
Thecrankster Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
T
That's Ikes next career move to bring yak bass fishing to the masses...Watch when he rolls up in his truck at the classic during weigh in look at his yak on top...I think it can work both ways..Me and my son wouldnt be talking about or participating in Bass fishing had it not been for our Kayaks

Last edited by Thecrankster; 08/26/16 05:36 PM.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide