Forums59
Topics1,037,810
Posts13,934,908
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: They tried to talk me out of an EcoDiesel, but it didn't work [Re: patriot07] #11764846 08/08/16 02:48 PM
BrushHogJr Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I traded from a 2012 Ecoboost to an Ecodiesel very simialar to yours.
I have been more than happy with it.
Check out this company if you want to tune it up a bit.
http://www.greendieselengineering.com/

I have had it on mine for 4k and it is a difference maker.
I pull a 19ft Basscat with mine and I get around 19mpg.
The Ecoboost was around 13mpg when towing.
The overall on mine is around 25mpg with the the tune on it. It was around 22 before the tune.
The tune also gets rid of the lag in the pedal. Drives just like a gasser now.

Word on the streets is Ford has a small diesel coming soon.
I agree with you though, the Ecodiesel is a steal for what you get.

Re: They tried to talk me out of an EcoDiesel, but it didn't work [Re: patriot07] #11764877 08/08/16 02:57 PM
P
patriot07 Online Content OP
TFF Guru
OP Online Content
TFF Guru
P
Thanks for the info. I've been considering the tune. Seems like a no-brainer from an engine longevity and performance standpoint. My only concern is voiding the warranty if I had some engine or transmission problems. And price. Did you keep your old ECM or just do the swap?

Yes, I've heard Ford has a diesel coming out in 2017. I wouldn't ever personally own a Ford (and I certainly wouldn't buy it the first year it came out), but I would expect it to be at or just above the mpg of the ecodiesel if they can get the rumored 10-speed transmission behind it.

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
- Soren Kierkegaard
Re: They tried to talk me out of an EcoDiesel, but it didn't work [Re: patriot07] #11768610 08/10/16 02:04 AM
BrushHogJr Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I just did the swap. Its a factory ecm just like your current one, only reprogrammed.
No markings on it, and ecms dont match to vins.
I waited a little bit too, but wished I hadn't.
If your dealer reflashes it for some reason, you can get it reloaded back to the tune easily for $50 with Green diesel engineering.

It is pricey, but you will spend that small investment and never look back.
Over the life of the vehicle, pocket change.

Re: They tried to talk me out of an EcoDiesel, but it didn't work [Re: patriot07] #11768958 08/10/16 12:50 PM
donothin Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
I find the Dodge cabs and seats to be more comfortable than either Tundra or GMC and have them all. Probably depends on the individual though.

Re: They tried to talk me out of an EcoDiesel, but it didn't work [Re: donothin] #11769653 08/10/16 06:28 PM
P
TFF Guru
OP Online Content
TFF Guru
P
Originally Posted By: donothin
I find the Dodge cabs and seats to be more comfortable than either Tundra or GMC and have them all. Probably depends on the individual though.
I think they're more comfortable than current Toyota/GM offerings, but not as comfortable as my old 2004 Silverado. Could just be what I was used to though. Overall, it's a really easy truck to ride in.

- Soren Kierkegaard
Re: They tried to talk me out of an EcoDiesel, but it didn't work [Re: BrushHogJr] #11769660 08/10/16 06:30 PM
P
TFF Guru
OP Online Content
TFF Guru
P
Originally Posted By: BrushHogJr
I just did the swap. Its a factory ecm just like your current one, only reprogrammed.
If your dealer reflashes it for some reason, you can get it reloaded back to the tune easily for $50 with Green diesel engineering.

Thanks. Yeah I'm just worried about them finding it if my motor bites the dust and denying a warranty claim.

- Soren Kierkegaard
Re: They tried to talk me out of an EcoDiesel, but it didn't work [Re: patriot07] #11770389 08/11/16 12:50 AM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
Originally Posted By: patriot07
Originally Posted By: BrushHogJr

Thanks. Yeah I'm just worried about them finding it if my motor bites the dust and denying a warranty claim.

I once talked to a dodge mechanic about this (not for your model of truck though) and he said "that they wouldn't know what was hooked to the computer; but they would know that something non-mopar had been hooked to the truck". Soooo, it might be a buyer beware thing.

Re: They tried to talk me out of an EcoDiesel, but it didn't work [Re: patriot07] #11775450 08/14/16 12:21 AM
B
bigfishwilb Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Bought mine in February. Best truck I have ever owned for sure.

Patrick Wilbricht
San Antonio TX
Ardent Outdoors Prostaff
Owner, PFK Limitless Fishing

Re: They tried to talk me out of an EcoDiesel, but it didn't work [Re: bigfishwilb] #11775729 08/14/16 02:45 AM
P
TFF Guru
OP Online Content
TFF Guru
P
Originally Posted By: bigfishwilb
Bought mine in February. Best truck I have ever owned for sure.
cheers

- Soren Kierkegaard
Re: They tried to talk me out of an EcoDiesel, but it didn't work [Re: patriot07] #11795669 08/25/16 04:17 AM
J
JamesW Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
I had a 14 Eco that I loved but it had electrical demons. I traded out of it, but plan on giving them one more try in a year or so.

Re: They tried to talk me out of an EcoDiesel, but it didn't work [Re: JamesW] #11795858 08/25/16 12:39 PM
P
TFF Guru
OP Online Content
TFF Guru
P
Originally Posted By: JamesW
I had a 14 Eco that I loved but it had electrical demons. I traded out of it, but plan on giving them one more try in a year or so.
Allegedly, they're planning on re-doing the engine for 2018. Should be interesting to see if they can improve the power and/or mpg numbers. They'll likely have to make a strong response after Ford puts out their 2017 diesel F-150.

- Soren Kierkegaard
Re: They tried to talk me out of an EcoDiesel, but it didn't work [Re: patriot07] #11796087 08/25/16 02:36 PM
TITANIUM-BACK Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
The eco diesel has came a long ways, And I mean that. it seems they worked the timing gears out and no more jump time and ruining heads, i would love to see one in a long wheel base with towing mirrors like ford has with the eco boost towing package . For the Ford, I know people love them people hate them, but the poor head machining and no more replacing heads we just replace the whole engine kept me from loving it. The 6.7 is no doubt a powerful motor and did there neat home work on liquid cooled inter cooler, reverse flow head design etc. My neighbor has one with 65,000 on it with no problems.at all period, then you my other nieghbor has one and has had hell out of his with only 40,000 on it and has 1 engine replaced already, just alot problems since new. Same year models, no tuners, motor craft filters with oil changes at 5,000 only bumper pulling. It just seems like now days no matter what you buy its getting to the point of what day it was built...lol. hangover mondays, or tear your [censored] fridays.

Freedom isn't free, you don't have to love it or leave it, but respect the price paid for it.
Master Caterpillar Field Mechanic. Retired
Re: They tried to talk me out of an EcoDiesel, but it didn't work [Re: TITANIUM-BACK] #11796226 08/25/16 03:53 PM
R
redchevy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: TITANIUM-BACK
The eco diesel has came a long ways, And I mean that. it seems they worked the timing gears out and no more jump time and ruining heads, i would love to see one in a long wheel base with towing mirrors like ford has with the eco boost towing package . For the Ford, I know people love them people hate them, but the poor head machining and no more replacing heads we just replace the whole engine kept me from loving it. The 6.7 is no doubt a powerful motor and did there neat home work on liquid cooled inter cooler, reverse flow head design etc. My neighbor has one with 65,000 on it with no problems.at all period, then you my other nieghbor has one and has had hell out of his with only 40,000 on it and has 1 engine replaced already, just alot problems since new. Same year models, no tuners, motor craft filters with oil changes at 5,000 only bumper pulling. It just seems like now days no matter what you buy its getting to the point of what day it was built...lol. hangover mondays, or tear your [censored] fridays.

Mind sharing your info about how they "fixed" the timing slip problem? From what I have read it was never a wide spread problem and no fixes have been implemented. From what I have been told/read the only problems that have been fixed were emissions related. There are still motors blowing for unknown reasons and RAM is not divulging any info.

13k miles on mine now, seems to run even better than before as it breaks in. No problems and my current tank of commuting all week is sitting at 27.3 mpg.

Re: They tried to talk me out of an EcoDiesel, but it didn't work [Re: patriot07] #11799365 08/27/16 02:57 AM
TITANIUM-BACK Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I was told by the guy at the dealer when i was picking up some parts that the timing issue was fixed? If it isn't then it isn't, guess maybe there trying to ease peoples mind about it. The main reason from what I have seen the problem being is the timing gear is poorly designed around the cam shaft and allows it to slip or break. I have personally seen 2 that have done this but they were both 2014. As far as still blowing motors for no reason there no telling on that one. They have had good success out of that eco diesel over in the European country's and in the Cadillac products before putting into service over here. May be the us ecu program for the engine for it to operate over here in the states, or emissions, who knows. Me personally I like them, just still wish they would make a long wheel base.

Freedom isn't free, you don't have to love it or leave it, but respect the price paid for it.
Master Caterpillar Field Mechanic. Retired
Re: They tried to talk me out of an EcoDiesel, but it didn't work [Re: TITANIUM-BACK] #11799978 08/27/16 05:16 PM
G
gander Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
G
Just started doing some looking at these and the first thing I am noticing is most of them in this area at least are pretty loaded out.They are running in the mid to upper 50's.What I am also seeing and I realize these are 4x4 models is the mpg ratings are 16-23 mpg.I believe the rear ends are 3:55 and 3:92.What are you that have these getting mpg wise and what are they rated at and are yours 4x4 or not.These have my interest.Also what are the ratios that you have and have you done any towing with them.Thanks

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide