facebook
Forum Stats
102736 Members
61 Forums
859390 Topics
11274631 Posts

Max Online: 36273 @ 01/23/13 02:34 PM
Topic Options
#11790531 - 08/22/16 12:01 PM Kayak trip from Toledo bend dam to the coast?????
TroyKing Online   content
Pro Angler

Loc: Carthage Tx
I've been invited by a friend and his dad to do this...it doesn't seem like a good idea to me...I've been by boat from Orange to out past pleasure island...and I've been out to Dick Dowling park...It seems like it would be dangerous with all the barge and ship traffic...not.to mention the tides...there plan is to do this in a week, I say you can't....What do y'all say? Please be frank about it...cause if need be I'd like to steer this to something more doable and safe...we are not avid kayakers.
The driving force and secret desire of every bass fisherman, is to one day be a crappie fisherman............Could it be that the good Lord just smilies and looks the other way when a fisherman tells a lie?

#11792190 - 08/23/16 08:36 AM Re: Kayak trip from Toledo bend dam to the coast????? [Re: TroyKing]
Rhino68W Offline
TFF Celebrity

Loc: Benbrook, TX
If you feel uncomfortable doing it then trust your gut.

#11793146 - 08/23/16 05:23 PM Re: Kayak trip from Toledo bend dam to the coast????? [Re: Rhino68W]
JJ4MEL Offline
Pro Angler

Loc: McKinney, TX
Originally Posted By: Rhino68W
If you feel uncomfortable doing it then trust your gut.

^^^YEP, WHAT HE SAID^^^

#11793689 - 08/23/16 09:46 PM Re: Kayak trip from Toledo bend dam to the coast????? [Re: TroyKing]
trbrmc Offline
Pro Angler

Loc: souttheast texas
I live in orange and 100 miles along the Sabine River ain't nothing to play with. If you're not experienced, then steer clear of this trip! I'd suggest shorter excursions before attempting something like what you're mentioning. Don't only ask yourself if you're an avid kayaker - are you also a "bushcrafter?" Are you physically fit enough? Are you mentally fit? Is there a backup plan? The big ships would be the least of my worries. You'll only start seeing a lot of ships and barges once you're getting close to Sabine lake. The current in the Sabine River can be quite strong. Trust your gut.

#11793910 - 08/24/16 06:29 AM Re: Kayak trip from Toledo bend dam to the coast????? [Re: TroyKing]
Fish ZoMbiE Offline
TFF Celebrity

I agree with the others thumb
If your not an avid yaker already, I don't think a week long adventure
would be a good idea period. You'd be soar & regretful most of the
trip IMO. U might wanna try an 1-3 day trip 1st before y'all attempt a week
long yak adventure especially in new waters. Going w/the flow is nice. But, Paddling or pedaling against
currants will most definitely take all the fun out of it.

#11794141 - 08/24/16 08:56 AM Re: Kayak trip from Toledo bend dam to the coast????? [Re: Fish ZoMbiE]
Pro Angler

This is exactly how I see it...I'm a serious planner when it comes to my outdoor activity, safety is of utmost importance as well is reasonable comfort...most of my friends consider me to be extream in some of my outdor excursions...but these guys will go into this blind and ignorant, with a just do it attitude. Thanks for the replies.
The driving force and secret desire of every bass fisherman, is to one day be a crappie fisherman............Could it be that the good Lord just smilies and looks the other way when a fisherman tells a lie?

#11794367 - 08/24/16 11:10 AM Re: Kayak trip from Toledo bend dam to the coast????? [Re: TroyKing]
Rhino68W Offline
TFF Celebrity

Loc: Benbrook, TX
Then try to get them into the best plan as possible. Maybe a GPS tracker? Things could turn bad for them quickly.

#11794491 - 08/24/16 12:30 PM Re: Kayak trip from Toledo bend dam to the coast????? [Re: Rhino68W]
Pro Angler

He thinks they are just going to come out on the beach once they get through the pass...as far as I can tell there isn't any public beach access until sea rim state park...and you'll have to go past or over the jetties first.

#11795924 - 08/25/16 08:13 AM Re: Kayak trip from Toledo bend dam to the coast????? [Re: TroyKing]
Brad R Online   content
Pro Angler

Loc: Texas
Yes, good comments. This sort of adventure seems almost to be more about a resume-building affair, sorry, I can't put the little e marks on the word, resume, but a list of personal accomplishments. Not even a "bucket list" item, either, which I think of as being fun things one wants to do before it is too late. Sounds sort of like walking the Appalachian Trail's 2300 miles.

This sounds like a very un-fun and arduous task . . . with bragging rights at the end. If everyone survives it. Agreed: there won't be some point where a pristine river pours out into a white sandy beach either.

There are plenty of awe-inspiring river trips that one could plan to cover many days. There are long stretches on the Brazos and other rivers with breathtaking views. I'd go somewhere beautiful like that, have fun. Avoid the danger, the grind.

Brad

#11796342 - 08/25/16 11:45 AM Re: Kayak trip from Toledo bend dam to the coast????? [Re: Brad R]
Pro Angler

Thanks brad

#11796695 - 08/25/16 03:04 PM Re: Kayak trip from Toledo bend dam to the coast????? [Re: TroyKing]
Todd™ Offline
TFF Team Angler

Loc: On my kayak
I would have to agree on not feeling good about it then don't but I would love a trip like that. Maybe taking out around Orange rather than getting in the bigger waters. Not sure the river miles that is but a week doesn't seem long enough either. Not for a fisherman like me.

There is a guy and his wife that went from Lake Worth all the way to the coast via the Trinity. They did it in sections and it took about a year and a half to do. If you look on Google Earth you'll see his pictures along their travels and they are posted on Panoramio. He goes by gulfcoastcoaster. See if you can contact him and what info he has on that kind of trip. I think he has to have a pretty cool story I would love to hear.

http://www.mariner-kayaks.com/

#11805352 - 08/30/16 09:18 PM Re: Kayak trip from Toledo bend dam to the coast????? [Re: TroyKing]
mikey6345 Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Dallas
Find Taylor on the Facebook page called Texas River Trip. Those guys rafted the entire Sabine a year or so ago and documented it. They would likely have good info on that part of the river.

#11806208 - 08/31/16 11:48 AM Re: Kayak trip from Toledo bend dam to the coast????? [Re: TroyKing]
hook-line&sinker Offline
TFF Celebrity

Loc: Bryan, Texas
I'd have a good exit plan for every single day on the river.. wink
Consider doing a multi-day trip down the Buffalo National river first to learn firsthand your true abilities, strengths and weaknesses. You will find on trips like this who you can work with and who you cannot... Many people have lost the ability to work together especially when put under stress or fatigued and this type of adventure places you in a very demanding environment.

Check out FishTales @ http://www.theeagle.com/blogs/fish_tales/

Any good friend will bail you out of jail but your best friend will probably be in there with you! wink

© 1998-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide