Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Are we working too hard? [Re: Rocket Surgeon] #11869078 10/07/16 02:52 PM
R
Rocket Surgeon Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
R
I absolutely believe that color and pattern can make a difference. My question was more toward the fact of how we often obsess about every minute detail in that pattern....our quest to make something more lifelike, and whether or not that truly makes a difference.

I wonder if you took two of the same lure, finished one in a very basic shad pattern, and photo finished The other.... would bass tend to go after the photo finished one more than the basic pattern ... given that the colors were approximately the same. Just one very basic pattern very realistic pattern.

Re: Are we working too hard? [Re: Rocket Surgeon] #11873659 10/10/16 05:38 PM
Bois d'arc Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Rocket Surgeon
I absolutely believe that color and pattern can make a difference. My question was more toward the fact of how we often obsess about every minute detail in that pattern....our quest to make something more lifelike, and whether or not that truly makes a difference. I wonder if you took two of the same lure, finished one in a very basic shad pattern, and photo finished The other.... would bass tend to go after the photo finished one more than the basic pattern ... given that the colors were approximately the same. Just one very basic pattern very realistic pattern.

Not sure about the "obsessing about every minute detail"...to me that's all about the person doing the artwork and why they're doing it. As for the idea that "micro" details makes a difference in a lures ability to fool a fish into biting...I doubt it does.

That being said, I have done what you suggest, use a basic shad pattern lure and a more detailed shad pattern lure side by side. That's how I "tune" a color/pattern that I've had some success with. Its surprising how much difference small detail's can make in a lures ability to provoke a bite. It's also true that small changes to a good pattern can drastically reduce the lures success rate. Makes me appreciate how much field testing "some" factory lures must go through before being released for sale to the public.

Re: Are we working too hard? [Re: Rocket Surgeon] #11873709 10/10/16 06:11 PM
B
basscat dad Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
the bottom of the bait is what the fish sees most of the time and makes them bite...or not. the top of the bait is what the is what the fisherman sees and makes them bite..

"dreamers have tomorrow if today does not come true"
Re: Are we working too hard? [Re: basscat dad] #11873768 10/10/16 06:49 PM
Bois d'arc Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: basscat dad
the bottom of the bait is what the fish sees most of the time and makes them bite...or not. the top of the bait is what the is what the fisherman sees and makes them bite..

Not sure I agree completely with this since most of my crankbait bites come when bumping or digging the bottom. When fishing topwater baits I'm sure the strike is mostly from below the bait. Just sayin'

Re: Are we working too hard? [Re: Bois d'arc] #11873999 10/10/16 09:03 PM
B
basscat dad Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
a little tongue in cheek there bois! roflmao

Re: Are we working too hard? [Re: Rocket Surgeon] #11874145 10/10/16 10:48 PM
B
Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
I caught a fish 1 time smile

Re: Are we working too hard? [Re: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad] #11874158 10/10/16 10:59 PM
B
basscat dad Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
oh yeah like i believe that. fish

Re: Are we working too hard? [Re: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad] #11874273 10/11/16 12:26 AM
Bois d'arc Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
When you put it like that, it all seems so clear. Its good to see someone standing up and writing...um.. whatever I just read. I have literally no idea what the last few posts are about. What makes it even more confusing is that they were obviously intended to drive home some kind of inescapable conclusion. Like someone had a good long think, then drew a quick truth table, and worked it all out. Thanks for those contributions to this very important scientific discussion. Sometimes, it takes truly insightful comments to really bring it home. This is how progress is made. clap

WARNING: I cannot be help responsible for the above, as apparently my dog has learned how to type.

wink

Re: Are we working too hard? [Re: Rocket Surgeon] #11921617 11/07/16 08:09 PM
S
soje Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
To complete my previous thought. A few primary colors would be variations of the 4 or 5 types of baitfish/bugs. I think color is a definite factor, but I don't know if a photo foil painted lure will do better than the same lure with a Norman DD or Bomber Fat Free color pattern.

If the fish are really triggered by the color, rather than tiny details, then it might be better to have as much of those colors boldly painted on the lure. I just want to go fishing now.

This is my line of thinking though. Thanks Bois D'arc.

Color is critical to crankbait fishing success. One anglers system for crankbait color patterns .

1.Orange/Red Craw patterns I throw the craw patterns in the earliest part of spring, no matter what the water clarity is.

2. Chartreuse/Black Back My top choice for dirty water all year long. Also a top pick during the spawn when the water is heavily stained. I also use this color in postspawn conditions in off-colored water that is stained or dirty to the point that you cant see the lure more than 12 to 18 inches below the surface.

3. Bluegill My favorite color around the spawn, as long as the water is clear to the point you can see the lure at least 18 to 24 inches beneath the surface.

4. Sexy Shad The best color when the water has a pretty heavy or darker green tint to it, to the point of being stained, and the shad are the predominant forage.

5. Summer Sexy Shad This is a subtle version of sexy shad that I use largely during the warmest time of the year, as its name suggest, when the water is pretty clear, rather than heavily stained, and shad are present.

6. Green Gizzard Shad This is a little better choice than plain ol Sexy Shad if the water is really, really clear and there are plenty of shad.

Last edited by soje; 11/07/16 08:12 PM.

like the man says...if you're swimming in the ocean and get bitten by a shark, its not a shark attack. You're in THEIR neighborhood. If you're at home in your shower, turn around and a shark is in there with you...THAT'S a shark attack
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide