Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,037,836
Posts13,935,361
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Wind River Range Wyoming and Colorado's Taylor River Fishing/Hiking (trout) #11775892 08/14/16 06:15 AM
C
chinookhead Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
In July, I went backpacking and fishing in the Wind River Range of Wyoming. I started at the Scab Creek Trailhead and I hiked around 15 miles into Bonneville Basin. I had great fishing for Brookies and rainbows in the winds with great scenery. The trout were caught on panther martin spinners, Husky Jerk Rapalas, and "safety clip" spoons.

Unfortunately, I took a fall (hurt my back, but now I'm fine), so I had to cancel my plan of 2 more week long backpacking trips. Therefore, I took the opportunity to drive through Utah's High Uintas that I always wanted to see and then I spent a week in Gunnison Colorado, taking it easy by whitewater kayaking and flyfishing the Taylor River for great Brown and rainbow trout fishing. Poor me smile

This is a video of the whole trip (Backpacking Wyoming and Flyfishing the Taylor River). For those who just want to see the fishing, it's 6.11-9.58 in Bonneville Basin and 16.18-18.20 for flyfishing the Taylor River.
Youtube Video of the Whole Trip

Here is one of the Tobacco Lakes around 4 miles in from the Scab Creek Trailhead:

This is a cool shot of a cabin that I found when I was hiking an off-trail shortcut. It was an awesome surprise to find this cabin and another one. Obviously, someone picked a perfect spot with a spectacular view.

The first two days were decent weather, but the 3rd night it dropped into the low 20's and it did not get above freezing until late on day 4. The following are pictures I took from my base camp for 3-4 nights in Bonneville Basin:

This is a picture I took in Utah's High Uintas as a drove from Wyoming to Gunnison Colorado:

Last edited by chinookhead; 08/14/16 12:33 PM.
Re: Wind River Range Wyoming and Colorado's Taylor River Fishing/Hiking (trout) [Re: chinookhead] #11776522 08/14/16 07:30 PM
C
chinookhead Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Here is a short video clip of where I flip on my kayak on the Taylor River. It's also in the above video, but here, you can hear the audio without the music.
Youtube Video Kayak Taylor River

I found it ironic that I flipped when I was on a guided tour in order to "play it safe" this year. It's ironic since I ran a much larger stretch of the river (including this one), 4 years ago without a guide and I did not flip. 4 year ago, I choose to forgo the 70 dollar guided tour in order to save money. Instead, I rented a 20 dollar leaking kayak from a gas station and a guy drew me a "map" on a piece of paper, He told me: "you'll have no problem finding the take-out". However, I missed the take-out and I ended up paddling through miles of private river (accidentally) until I reached a point where the forest service put up a sign saying: "Do not paddle beyond this point. Dangerous water and low bridge" and the land owner put up signs on both sides of the river saying: "No portaging. Private Property.....violators will be prosecuted". Initially, I was going to try it......but last minute I saw the waterfall, which was immediately followed by a low bridge. Therefore, I got out at the last minute and I ran for the road. The land owner say me and he had his dogs chase me as I dragged a 55 pound kayak, gear, and a pump the gas station owner gave me b/c he knew the kayak had a little leak. A guy passing by saw me being chased by the dogs and he says: "Hey kid......jump in" and I jump in the bed of his pick-up truck with the kayak. He said: "Normally, I'm the one who calls the cops on people like you. My job is to watch the properties of a number of absentee land owners in the area for the hunters and fisherman who sometimes trespass.......but I just felt so bad for you....seeing you drag all of that stuff while being chased by dogs". It's one of those moments that are not fun in the moment, but you laugh about it years later when you think about it !

Last edited by chinookhead; 08/14/16 07:31 PM.
Re: Wind River Range Wyoming and Colorado's Taylor River Fishing/Hiking (trout) [Re: chinookhead] #11776546 08/14/16 07:43 PM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
coolphotosAwesome Post. Thanks for sharing. cheers

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Wind River Range Wyoming and Colorado's Taylor River Fishing/Hiking (trout) [Re: chinookhead] #11777443 08/15/16 04:30 AM
T
toddfish Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Beautiful country! thumb

Re: Wind River Range Wyoming and Colorado's Taylor River Fishing/Hiking (trout) [Re: banker-always fishing] #11777551 08/15/16 11:44 AM
L
Laker One Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
coolphotosAwesome Post. Thanks for sharing. cheers

Plus #1. I second that! woot

Re: Wind River Range Wyoming and Colorado's Taylor River Fishing/Hiking (trout) [Re: chinookhead] #11779666 08/16/16 02:40 PM
butch sanders Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
awesome
we were there last year
do you worry about bears?

Re: Wind River Range Wyoming and Colorado's Taylor River Fishing/Hiking (trout) [Re: butch sanders] #11781090 08/17/16 01:58 AM
C
chinookhead Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Originally Posted by butch sanders
awesome
we were there last year

It depends on what you mean by "worry". I try to keep as clean a camp as I can in order to try to avoid attracting bears and storing my food safely (hanging off a tree or rock or Ursack etc.). However, it becomes an issue when you stay in an area for a while when you fish, since the odor just tends to get on things. When I stayed in Desolation Valley in the Winds last year for 3-4 nights I attracted a bear that I found out circled my tent at night and it tried to claw through my Ursack (a Dyneema bear resistant bag). That morning I obviously left. You can see me talk about this encounter, show the bear tracks, and the slight damage it did to my food bag at minutes 9.28-10:30 in this video:
Video With Bear Damage Evidence
My worst bear encounter ever was in Michigan's Upper Peninsula when a black bear chased me into the Ontonogan river. It chased me while I was fishing and I had a stringer with brook trout attached to me (8 years ago). I assume that the smell of the trout attracted the bear. However, I think that if you don't do stupid things.....bears usually should not be something that inhibits a person from going or having fun etc.

Last edited by chinookhead; 08/17/16 03:32 AM.
Re: Wind River Range Wyoming and Colorado's Taylor River Fishing/Hiking (trout) [Re: chinookhead] #11781176 08/17/16 02:37 AM
9094 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
We just got back from Lake City.
I fished the Taylor one day in the tail race for the chance at a slob.
Hooked a couple but couldn't get them in.
Fished lake fork of the gunnison three days, best fly fishing of my life.
Went to the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, wow what a place. We have been going up there for 20 years and had never seen the Black Canyon.

Re: Wind River Range Wyoming and Colorado's Taylor River Fishing/Hiking (trout) [Re: chinookhead] #11819754 09/09/16 03:09 PM
G
Gitter Done Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
G
Very nice post. Thanks for sharing.

Re: Wind River Range Wyoming and Colorado's Taylor River Fishing/Hiking (trout) [Re: chinookhead] #11819996 09/09/16 05:17 PM
butch sanders Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by chinookhead
Originally Posted by butch sanders
awesome
we were there last year

It depends on what you mean by "worry". I try to keep as clean a camp as I can in order to try to avoid attracting bears and storing my food safely (hanging off a tree or rock or Ursack etc.). However, it becomes an issue when you stay in an area for a while when you fish, since the odor just tends to get on things. When I stayed in Desolation Valley in the Winds last year for 3-4 nights I attracted a bear that I found out circled my tent at night and it tried to claw through my Ursack (a Dyneema bear resistant bag). That morning I obviously left. You can see me talk about this encounter, show the bear tracks, and the slight damage it did to my food bag at minutes 9.28-10:30 in this video:
Video With Bear Damage Evidence
My worst bear encounter ever was in Michigan's Upper Peninsula when a black bear chased me into the Ontonogan river. It chased me while I was fishing and I had a stringer with brook trout attached to me (8 years ago). I assume that the smell of the trout attracted the bear. However, I think that if you don't do stupid things.....bears usually should not be something that inhibits a person from going or having fun etc.

thanks

Re: Wind River Range Wyoming and Colorado's Taylor River Fishing/Hiking (trout) [Re: chinookhead] #11821203 09/10/16 03:56 PM
krawlin 47 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
WOW - that was amazing! Loved the kayak video...I wanna do that!

Whether you think you can or you can't, you are probably right.
Re: Wind River Range Wyoming and Colorado's Taylor River Fishing/Hiking (trout) [Re: chinookhead] #11831917 09/16/16 02:25 PM
J
jsinn01 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
That is some unbelievable scenery! Thanks for sharing.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide