I have to agree...I have many lures in my tacklebox that have never caught fish...and I look at them with contempt.
How would you know it catches fish before you try it though???
I have never thrown a lure straight out of the package. I have fished with hundreds of guys over these 55 years that do fish them out of the package. I already know they are a 50/50 baits. They do not have all the attributes that a big Bass is looking for. Big Bass did not get huge by hitting lures; so to catch one the bait must have everything going for it.
One of the things that I enjoy doing the most is taking a person's old baits that they have lost confidence in and turning them into the best baits in their box.
When I choose a spinner bait to work with these are the things it must have to begin the process.
- Light Wire - .032 Mann Classic - but not past a .035 in other brands.
- Long Arm Wire; so I can put the twisted line tie on it.
- Minnow Shape Head
- Color doesn't matter. I can paint them.
- Large a Eye as possible - No eye I drill and install.
- Extended shank hook. 1/4 oz. 3/0 - 1/2 oz. 4/0 - 3/4 oz. 5/0
- Skirts no problem. I build living rubber skirts to hold Minnow Scent.
- Blades and swivels no problem. All are changed.
The Spook has been around all these years so I choose it to customize. It is all about balance. Customizing a jig is one of the hardest jobs to do; but when finished it holds every sense that a bass is looking for. I like to start with a raw hand poured jig then build it from scratch.