texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,021
TexDawg 119,788
Bigbob_FTW 95,327
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,356
Mark Perry 72,488
Derek 🐝 68,322
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,908
Posts13,955,119
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Most and Least Credible Anglers - Promoting Sponsor Products #11772245 08/12/16 12:16 AM
Neal G Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Which are the most (and least) credible anglers with regard to promoting their sponsor's products.

Some pros do an exceptionally good and honest job promoting products but may have not been included in the poll. Please post their name if you would like to give them proper credit.

Most credible (honest) angler with regard to promoting his sponsor's products
single choice
Edwin Evers (13%, 20 Votes)
Shaw Grigsby (5%, 7 Votes)
Greg Hackney (27%, 41 Votes)
Mike Iaconelli (5%, 7 Votes)
Aaron Martens (10%, 15 Votes)
Gerald Swindle (10%, 15 Votes)
Kevin VanDam (31%, 48 Votes)
Total Votes: 153
Voting on this poll ends: 08/16/16 12:06 AM
Least credible (honest) angler with regard to promoting his sponsor's products
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 08/12/16 12:09 AM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Most and Least Credible Anglers - Promoting Sponsor Products [Re: Neal G] #11772316 08/12/16 12:41 AM
M
Mudman63 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Does anyone think KVD really uses the fish stick on his baits as advertised?

Re: Most and Least Credible Anglers - Promoting Sponsor Products [Re: Neal G] #11772322 08/12/16 12:45 AM
S
ShamrockSmith Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
I can't stand to watch Shaw anymore with his non-stop plugging. mad

Re: Most and Least Credible Anglers - Promoting Sponsor Products [Re: Neal G] #11772378 08/12/16 01:04 AM
Alex Finch Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
This post made me think back to the Chesapeake Bay tournament last year. The eventual winner used a competitor's product to win the event. I have a tremendous amount of respect for the angler, but I'd be disappointed if I was paying a guy and giving him all the baits he needs and then he had to use a competing product to win on the big stage. In all fairness, he is always transparent about which bait he uses which is more than can be said for some anglers.

I think Tharp should have been added to the list. He's the one that brought this topic to light in a Bassmaster column.

Online Orders: www.finchnastybaitco.com
E-mail Orders: finchnastybaitco@gmail.com

Finch Nasty Bait Co. is now an Authorized Retailer of Keitech Fat Swing Impact swimbaits! We offer select sizes and colors that match our line of Thumpers (bladed swim jigs) and universal swim jigs.
Re: Most and Least Credible Anglers - Promoting Sponsor Products [Re: ShamrockSmith] #11772451 08/12/16 01:34 AM
C
Chris_K Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Originally Posted By: KVS
I can't stand to watch Shaw anymore with his non-stop plugging. mad

X2

Re: Most and Least Credible Anglers - Promoting Sponsor Products [Re: Neal G] #11772532 08/12/16 02:21 AM
SAKS Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
They all do a good job of plugging but I agree with the others here about Grigsby. His shows are nothing but one bad segway for a plug after another. It's seems so bad that it reminds me of bad B movie acting.

Re: Most and Least Credible Anglers - Promoting Sponsor Products [Re: Alex Finch] #11772551 08/12/16 02:26 AM
T
Txduckhunter Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: Alex Finch
This post made me think back to the Chesapeake Bay tournament last year. The eventual winner used a competitor's product to win the event. I have a tremendous amount of respect for the angler, but I'd be disappointed if I was paying a guy and giving him all the baits he needs and then he had to use a competing product to win on the big stage. In all fairness, he is always transparent about which bait he uses which is more than can be said for some anglers.

I think Tharp should have been added to the list. He's the one that brought this topic to light in a Bassmaster column.

The name of the game is to win. Ideally, it would be on the bait that your backers provide but sometimes that's just not in the cards.
A long time ago, I was approached by a soft plastic maker who wanted to sponsor me. He showed up at the house with 2 boxes. One was full of his product and the other was empty. When I asked what the empty box was for, he told me that in order for us to do this deal- he was going to use the empty box to carry all my "other" baits off in... needless to say, he left with both of his boxes.

Re: Most and Least Credible Anglers - Promoting Sponsor Products [Re: Txduckhunter] #11772707 08/12/16 04:00 AM
Alex Finch Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Txduckhunter

The name of the game is to win. Ideally, it would be on the bait that your backers provide but sometimes that's just not in the cards.
A long time ago, I was approached by a soft plastic maker who wanted to sponsor me. He showed up at the house with 2 boxes. One was full of his product and the other was empty. When I asked what the empty box was for, he told me that in order for us to do this deal- he was going to use the empty box to carry all my "other" baits off in... needless to say, he left with both of his boxes.

Very good story; I think you did what was right in that situation. I know there must be a ton of pressure to perform at the Elite level and when it's a job then you have to do what you can, within the rules of the game, to win. I made a post about that event last year, and probably shouldn't have stirred that pot again.

The things Tharp said in his article hit home for me. Since we're talking about credibility, I think it really speaks to the topic.

Here's the article I was referencing: http://www.bassmaster.com/blog/tell-truth

"Early in my career, when I was less established and less financially secure, I was sponsored by companies that didnt make the highest caliber products. I can admit it now, but at the time, it put me in a bit of a fix.

There are pros now who are in that same boat they need whatever deals they can get just to survive, so theyll push their ethics (for lack of a better word) to the side and promote stuff they dont believe is the best out there."

Online Orders: www.finchnastybaitco.com
E-mail Orders: finchnastybaitco@gmail.com

Finch Nasty Bait Co. is now an Authorized Retailer of Keitech Fat Swing Impact swimbaits! We offer select sizes and colors that match our line of Thumpers (bladed swim jigs) and universal swim jigs.
Re: Most and Least Credible Anglers - Promoting Sponsor Products [Re: Neal G] #11773000 08/12/16 01:08 PM
J
jhall239 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Agree with most everyone else, Not that I dont like Shaw, he is great guy have met him a few times, but
All that silliness and he seems to manufacture ways to mention the sponsors more than others

Skeeter 20-I 250 HPDI
Re: Most and Least Credible Anglers - Promoting Sponsor Products [Re: Neal G] #11773218 08/12/16 03:01 PM
96speed Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Shaw Grigsby and Alton Jones are tough for me to watch. They might be a sponsor's dream but they pimp their stuff so hard its tough for me to stomach. They just lay it on so thick that it seems sleazy.

I tried to watch Shaw's show on the outdoor channel but its one thing after another. "I sure am glad I have these great TRITON coolers to keep my GATORADE drink nice and cold."

"Whew! That big 'ol pig just inhaled my Strike King Rage Bug! I'm glad I got to this spot in hurry with my MERCURY ENGINE bolted to my ATLAS jackplate on the back of my TRITON hull!"

Female drivers = No survivors
Re: Most and Least Credible Anglers - Promoting Sponsor Products [Re: Neal G] #11773376 08/12/16 04:34 PM
A
Allen Bass Fisher Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
A
Should add Timmy Horton to the list of least credible. All he does on his show is plug his product line. I think they are all in it for the money/sponsors. They have to be. I have a hard time picking a credible one.

Re: Most and Least Credible Anglers - Promoting Sponsor Products [Re: Neal G] #11773442 08/12/16 05:01 PM
1crawdad Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
Here's a hilarious YouTube mocking Roland about "over-selling":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tkSRrj2Mtw

Re: Most and Least Credible Anglers - Promoting Sponsor Products [Re: Txduckhunter] #11773567 08/12/16 06:15 PM
H
happycampr Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
Originally Posted By: Txduckhunter

Absolutely, and the two-box method seems to me would hurt both the pro angler and the sponsor in the grand scheme. I would bet 90% of your target audience gets sold on what is plastered on the side of your boat, your fishing jersey and your tow vehicle when you win tourneys versus the 10 or so percent that can actually recall or bother to research what you won this or that tournament with. It's all about the Benjamins when you get down to it

Re: Most and Least Credible Anglers - Promoting Sponsor Products [Re: Neal G] #11773571 08/12/16 06:17 PM
C
Chris G Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
The #1 on that I just can't stand to watch anymore is Scott Martin. I still watch the damn show simply because he fished some awesome lakes and normally catches some great fish, but the entire 30 minute show is nothing but constant plugs. I know they only have to show to generate money from sponsors so I understand it, but man its over the top.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Most and Least Credible Anglers - Promoting Sponsor Products [Re: Neal G] #11773707 08/12/16 07:51 PM
B
Big1Bass Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
My Least Credible wasn't on the list.. It would be Byron Velvick..

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide