Re: Lake Fork Thieves [Re: Bobby Milam] #11771325 08/11/16 04:18 PM
L
lcbl75771 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam
Originally Posted By: criglizard
The cops sure do love writing speeding tickets around the lake but theft continues year after year, even as technology improves. More cameras around the lake than ever before, but local police inability to catch and prosecute keeps these backwood meth heads coming back for more.

Side note...if you travel south on 17 from 515 to 182 (Alba), there is a cop that sits behind a small white barn and pulls you over as you come from the 50mph speed limit to 30mph to the stop sign. He should be patrolling the neighborhoods around the lake....

I can tell you from 25+ years in law enforcement, theft prevention only works when the owners take responsibility of their property and secure it better than on a boat or in a boat house. There is no way that the community can pay for enough officers to provide individual security to every citizen. Posts making people aware of a problem is the most effective prevention so neighbors look out for neighbors. He could be patrolling the neighborhoods, and I would guess that he does, but the community also pays him to ensure their safety from drunk drivers and reckless drivers.

Having patrolled communities for years, I can assure you that I have arrested more thieves and recovered more stolen property from traffic stops than I ever have patrolling neighborhoods trying to catch them in the act. Something as simple as speeding is how the majority of criminals are caught. Officers and their administration usually have a better idea of what is going on in the community than the average citizens and have decades of experience on how to combat it.

Theft prevention only works when the property owner shoots and kills the SOB so nobody has to deal with the POS again!!!

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Lake Fork Thieves [Re: TM487VS] #11771349 08/11/16 04:40 PM
Kay Dyson Offline
HOT Mess!!!
HOT Mess!!!
Thinking about this whole deal, has me impressed with the stupid dope heads, that may not be so stupid.
To go undetected for atleast a couple of hours, to carry such a large amount of booty from dock to dock, and I do mean a lot. To transport the booty to a safe haven, then unload it, again undetected, it's actually amazing they pulled this big of a heist off. The logistics alone speaks volumes for their true sorry azz talent.
There were, and are so many ways they should have failed, but didn't.. they have to have a lake house, or access to one. How can neighbors not notice the large amount of booty being moved around.. Like I say, pretty amazing feat to pull off, just wish me and old Mr.12 ga coulda been there..

Re: Lake Fork Thieves [Re: TM487VS] #11771430 08/11/16 05:24 PM
Texascajun69 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
This past winter it was too cold to fish so I laid everyone of my rods and reels on the floor of the garage and took an overall and close up pictures of every one of them. Several years ago I got hit and before the insurance company would pay I had to provide proof (receipt, pictures, etc.) that I had actually owned the items taken. I also keep every reel box.

Sounds like to me they are coming by boat at night. Would be nice if local law enforcement could make the local ramps a patrol priority. I don't blame law enforcement. Scum of the earth has been with us since the dawn of man. The best thing is to submit them to S&W Law.

John K Fontenot
Diapers and Politicians need to be changed often; and for the same reason.
Re: Lake Fork Thieves [Re: TM487VS] #11771438 08/11/16 05:32 PM
west tex angler Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
The only reason I launched at that 154 boat ramp is because I was meeting someone there at their suggestion. He was getting out of one boat and into another.
As far as the money, I had a guide lined up for early in the morning. That money was to go to him. I don't usually do that.
Still, if I have to worry about them steeling my stuff all of the time, fishing Lake Fork isn't worth it to me.
The suggestions that "you are crazy to leave anything in your vehicle" makes it my fault I guess.
My last robbery was my two front tires off of my truck parked at Hubbard Creek a long time ago.
Darn, I guess I should have taken them with me in the boat.

PB 9lbs 13oz
Re: Lake Fork Thieves [Re: Bryanmc57] #11771672 08/11/16 07:45 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Bryanmc57
Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

You are a perfect example of someone who thinks they have all the answers and does everything right. To accuse all these folks of being reckless with their belongings is just plain mean spirited, callous and heartless.

These threads always turn this way. He never said anything about the folks who had their boat houses broken into or boats on lifts stripped. If you don't think leaving a pistol and an envelope full of cash in your vehicle at a public boat ramp in an area known for thieves while yo go out fishing for a few hours is reckless, I don't know what world you're living in but it's not this one. We all know there are plenty of folks out there looking for money for their next fix and they will steal whatever they can. All you can do is take reasonable precautions and hope for the best.

I missed the post where someone left an envelope full of money in their truck. I do have a 9mm I keep under my seat for personal protection but anyone who would steal my truck probably already has a weapon and it's probably bigger than mine. Most of us do what we can to protect our belongings. We lock our vehicles and homes, some have alarms on everything and write down serial numbers and do their best to be vigilant for suspicious activity. The only thing visible in my truck at the Little Mustang ramp is my transom saver, an umbrella, extra pair of shoes, a towel and a can of mints. If that's considered valuables and worth breaking into my truck for consider me guilty of being reckless.
My contention and aggravation are all those on here who accuse those who were victims of being reckless and deserved to have their stuff stolen. Instead, how about a little compassion and sympathy. I mean after the fact we're all a little smarter aren't we. I live in what most would consider a safe suburban neighborhood of Dallas but there is an opportunity for thieves to break into my home everytime I leave it. I have security cameras front and back but they would not keep thieves from breaking in if they wanted to. They break into stores while the stores are open. They steal peoples cars with them in it. They even stole an EMT ambulance this week. Bottom line, if these creeps want something they will take it no matter what you do. If you haven't had something stolen consider yourself lucky because I can guarantee you you're not that smart.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Lake Fork Thieves [Re: lcbl75771] #11771689 08/11/16 07:53 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: lcbl75771
Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam
Originally Posted By: criglizard
The cops sure do love writing speeding tickets around the lake but theft continues year after year, even as technology improves. More cameras around the lake than ever before, but local police inability to catch and prosecute keeps these backwood meth heads coming back for more.

Side note...if you travel south on 17 from 515 to 182 (Alba), there is a cop that sits behind a small white barn and pulls you over as you come from the 50mph speed limit to 30mph to the stop sign. He should be patrolling the neighborhoods around the lake....

I can tell you from 25+ years in law enforcement, theft prevention only works when the owners take responsibility of their property and secure it better than on a boat or in a boat house. There is no way that the community can pay for enough officers to provide individual security to every citizen. Posts making people aware of a problem is the most effective prevention so neighbors look out for neighbors. He could be patrolling the neighborhoods, and I would guess that he does, but the community also pays him to ensure their safety from drunk drivers and reckless drivers.

Having patrolled communities for years, I can assure you that I have arrested more thieves and recovered more stolen property from traffic stops than I ever have patrolling neighborhoods trying to catch them in the act. Something as simple as speeding is how the majority of criminals are caught. Officers and their administration usually have a better idea of what is going on in the community than the average citizens and have decades of experience on how to combat it.

Theft prevention only works when the property owner shoots and kills the SOB so nobody has to deal with the POS again!!!

True story. Ask the kid who stole the Jaguar and ran from the cops. BLM upset cause he was shot in the back. If you're running away that's the part that's exposed. Best way to keep from getting shot is don't break the law.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Re: Lake Fork Thieves [Re: TM487VS] #11771711 08/11/16 08:06 PM
89javelin100 Offline
Angler
Angler
why would you leave your guns in your truck and not take w you on boat for protection as well? I just heard recently some people were shot at on a local dfw lake because homeowner said he owned the water around his dock, bla bla, and homeowner shot at the boat. No lie, guy got arrested and gun taken. I personally witnessed the lake patrol officer at marina say "you are aloud to have your weapon in your boat" also he said "if that would've been me the guy would've been laying in a pool of blood"

Re: Lake Fork Thieves [Re: 89javelin100] #11771805 08/11/16 09:00 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: 89javelin100
why would you leave your guns in your truck and not take w you on boat for protection as well? I just heard recently some people were shot at on a local dfw lake because homeowner said he owned the water around his dock, bla bla, and homeowner shot at the boat. No lie, guy got arrested and gun taken. I personally witnessed the lake patrol officer at marina say "you are aloud to have your weapon in your boat" also he said "if that would've been me the guy would've been laying in a pool of blood"

Partner, if it ever reaches the point where I don't feel safe fishing, I'm quitting. If a guy doesn't want me fishing around his dock I'm moving on and fast. I just recently started carrying in my truck when an idiot tried to run me off 635 with my daughter in the truck with me.

Re: Lake Fork Thieves [Re: TM487VS] #11771921 08/11/16 09:39 PM
SAKS Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
RedSkeeter you are absolutely right. People are under the impression these guys are stupid drug heads looking for a fix. It would not surprise me one bit if they are on this forum reading this and laughing their a** off. These types typically get caught but usually not until thousands of dollars of property are gone. For those on here that seem to think I am putting blame on the victim you are dead wrong. Like a lot of people I am commenting from experience. Like it was stated law enforcement cannot just set on an area hoping lightning strikes twice. Therefore the people have to take up the burden of protecting ourselves as much as possible. Just some things you cannot stop. We cannot control when we become a victim of theft but there are measures you can take to limit the damage it causes. I am also speaking about our everyday lives and not just at a boat ramp on Lake Fork. Life would be grand if we could leave valuables anywhere we wanted without the fear of it being taken but life isn't that grand.

Re: Lake Fork Thieves [Re: TM487VS] #11772009 08/11/16 10:20 PM
6.5 creedmoore Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
To all who were robbed I am sorry, I was in law enforcement for 35 years the camera and motion light suggestion is right on target for prevention. I moved to rains county after living in 15 different states 5 years ago upon retiring, including Dallas texas, I am troubled when someone jumps in and badmouths a community because they have a personal problem or prejudice to lake fork, the people who live here are mainly hard working salt off the earth the people that make a living in the fishing business break there backs to keep visitors happy It is a dis service to this site to take advantage off a robbery that occur every day everywhere to bad mouth a town. I think this a great area to live in raise a family and live safe, again I am sorry for the invasion off your home and lose off property it can make you feel violated. God Bless. Tomorrow you will wake up at world class lake fork a place many dream to visit just once.

Re: Lake Fork Thieves [Re: 6.5 creedmoore] #11772111 08/11/16 11:16 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: rudycordero
To all who were robbed I am sorry, I was in law enforcement for 35 years the camera and motion light suggestion is right on target for prevention. I moved to rains county after living in 15 different states 5 years ago upon retiring, including Dallas texas, I am troubled when someone jumps in and badmouths a community because they have a personal problem or prejudice to lake fork, the people who live here are mainly hard working salt off the earth the people that make a living in the fishing business break there backs to keep visitors happy It is a dis service to this site to take advantage off a robbery that occur every day everywhere to bad mouth a town. I think this a great area to live in raise a family and live safe, again I am sorry for the invasion off your home and lose off property it can make you feel violated. God Bless. Tomorrow you will wake up at world class lake fork a place many dream to visit just once.

Rudy, good on you for the compassion you're showing these folks who were violated by these thieves. Most who live on the shores of Lake Fork are decent law abiding citizens who work their a$$es off for years to be able to move here and enjoy their retirement. I know many of them and they protect each other and their property like family. If they are to be faulted for anything it's their kindness and generosity to each other and the community. Thefts like what just happened travels quickly around the area and folks will be on guard and alert for any suspicious activities. I'm sure they will also be taking extra precautions with their property. Most if not all do not use public ramps so those who did get vandalized were probably not residents of the area. Still, they deserve our empathy and sympathy for their losses.
cheers

Re: Lake Fork Thieves [Re: TM487VS] #11772220 08/12/16 12:03 AM
Curtbass Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I'm NOT badmouthing against Lake Fork or any community around it. MOST are hardworking honest friendly people. Believe me I know!!! Good people .They've done the same as me & EARNED what they have & GOOD reputations. Overall they suffer the most because bad people can & do cause issues for the main economy in that area.I AM prejudiced against having my hard earned equipment, money, or possessions stolen. We ALL agree stopping thieves is what we have to do. My statement that I won't go back is my way of preventing it happening to me again at Lake Fork. My decision. My opinion. I was hit in 1999 to the tune of over $4800 worth myself. Honestly it sucks but being a victim once is just that. Twice is possibly not as much being a victim as it is of just not making smart decisions. Another lesson from dear old dad. He sure loved fishing Fork. So do I but......

ELITE POWER SYSTEMS/ Elite Fishing Products
Lithium Battery & Charging Systems, Soft Plastics, Tackle,Tokyo Rigs
Tight lines & stay safe out there.Gods blessings
Re: Lake Fork Thieves [Re: Curtbass] #11772386 08/12/16 01:05 AM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Curtbass
I'm NOT badmouthing against Lake Fork or any community around it. MOST are hardworking honest friendly people. Believe me I know!!! Good people .They've done the same as me & EARNED what they have & GOOD reputations. Overall they suffer the most because bad people can & do cause issues for the main economy in that area.I AM prejudiced against having my hard earned equipment, money, or possessions stolen. We ALL agree stopping thieves is what we have to do. My statement that I won't go back is my way of preventing it happening to me again at Lake Fork. My decision. My opinion. I was hit in 1999 to the tune of over $4800 worth myself. Honestly it sucks but being a victim once is just that. Twice is possibly not as much being a victim as it is of just not making smart decisions. Another lesson from dear old dad. He sure loved fishing Fork. So do I but......

Sorry for your losses Curtbass, truly am. Wish you luck in all your future endeavors.
thumb

Re: Lake Fork Thieves [Re: TM487VS] #11772466 08/12/16 01:46 AM
D
Devil Horse Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Many years ago the 154 and 515 east ramp were getting hit pretty hard, come to find out some of the thieves were bank fishing around the ramps, after someone would launch a nice boat and take off on the lake then these so called bank fisherman would call up buddies to come hit the vehicles. This is why im always suspicious of bank fishermen around the ramps, most likely nothing to them but i always remember that story in the back of my mind.

Re: Lake Fork Thieves [Re: west tex angler] #11773741 08/12/16 08:10 PM
Kay Dyson Offline
HOT Mess!!!
HOT Mess!!!
Originally Posted By: west tex angler
The only reason I launched at that 154 boat ramp is because I was meeting someone there at their suggestion. He was getting out of one boat and into another.
As far as the money, I had a guide lined up for early in the morning. That money was to go to him. I don't usually do that.
Still, if I have to worry a
bout them steeling my stuff all of the time, fishing Lake Fork isn't worth it to me.
The suggestions that "you are crazy to leave anything in your vehicle" makes it my fault I guess.
My last robbery was my two front tires off of my truck parked at Hubbard Creek a long time ago.
Darn, I guess I should have taken them with me in the boat.

Went to 154 ramp, saw the glass in the parking lot near the light pole in the center.
Man sorry that happened. I feel your pain. I'm not quitting fishing fork, but i will be on high alert..

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide