Forums59
Topics1,038,800
Posts13,952,987
Members144,178
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: First time taking boat to coast, looking for input [Re: parttime] #11767303 08/09/16 04:37 PM
T
tunatamer Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
T
Shoot me your message with questions. I'll help if I can.

"still" awesum
Re: First time taking boat to coast, looking for input [Re: parttime] #11768510 08/10/16 01:18 AM
V-Bottom Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Water temp. pushing 90*
For trout..fish deep 6-12Ft.
Launch before daylight, in by 10am
Very early bite or fish at night

Galv's Big Charter Boats fishing
35-45 miles out fishing rigs not doing much lately
Small sharks, Spadefish, couple of Kings. Nothing
to brag about !! The Mosquito Fleet are fishing
by shrimp boats 40 miles out. Sardines, Pinfish, Ribbon Fish
for bait. NO weedlines this year. That's odd, but people say
that the Flooding we had may have caused may have sent the weeds elsewhere.
Stay hydrated....reaching 110-115* (heat factor)
Be safe and good luck. Remember to Take a Kid Fishing

Catching is hard now.

Last edited by V-Bottom; 08/10/16 01:20 AM.

Texas Anglers Recognition Program
TPWD Official Weigh Station,77563
Coastal Bend Weigh Team, Cert. Weigh Master
USMC66'- www.troutsupport.com

Re: First time taking boat to coast, looking for input [Re: parttime] #11768910 08/10/16 12:13 PM
P
parttime Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
P
So if I was going to fish the inland waters, what areas should I target? Don't want to run my boat up on a sandbar or reef.

Parttime (John)
Follow me on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/c/AJOutdoors1
Re: First time taking boat to coast, looking for input [Re: parttime] #11768955 08/10/16 12:48 PM
lite-liner Offline
Capt. CUDA
Capt. CUDA
fish the passes on the tides. a couple great spots on the way to the jetties.
maybe not glamour fish, but plenty of fun to be had. Tarpon are at the jetties NOW.
old FINA docks across the channel from the Port A harbor has some beasts down there...
remember to go get that hook&line map & study it. if you have Android phone, download the FREE TIDE CHART app, & use the 2 in conjunction with eachother to develop a plan.
if bait fishing, focus on live baits, shrimp will just gather you lots of hardheads

[Linked Image]
Re: First time taking boat to coast, looking for input [Re: parttime] #11769033 08/10/16 01:32 PM
T
tunatamer Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: parttime
So if I was going to fish the inland waters, what areas should I target? Don't want to run my boat up on a sandbar or reef.

John .... see my reply to this question on your thread at 2cool.

If you are going to put in there at Conn Brown there are a lot of places nearby. Redfish Bay, etc. Some are protected more than others if the wind is up.

A good idea would be to buy a Hook 'n Line map of the area as was suggested earlier.

And if you don't catch anything just go to M&D Fish and Chips in Rockport to eat. wink

"still" awesum
Re: First time taking boat to coast, looking for input [Re: lite-liner] #11769073 08/10/16 01:47 PM
P
parttime Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: lite-liner
fish the passes on the tides. a couple great spots on the way to the jetties.
maybe not glamour fish, but plenty of fun to be had. Tarpon are at the jetties NOW.
old FINA docks across the channel from the Port A harbor has some beasts down there...
remember to go get that hook&line map & study it. if you have Android phone, download the FREE TIDE CHART app, & use the 2 in conjunction with eachother to develop a plan.
if bait fishing, focus on live baits, shrimp will just gather you lots of hardheads

I will have the map! smile but this "fish the passes on the tides" is a foreign language. smile What passes? and I assume when you say on the tides, you mean high tides? I do have android and have been downloading weather and wave apps, will look for the tide chart app. thanks for your replies. I will likely be bait fishing, and I hate hardheads!! smile Now a Tarpon would be epic!

Parttime (John)
Re: First time taking boat to coast, looking for input [Re: tunatamer] #11769078 08/10/16 01:51 PM
P
parttime Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: tunatamer

John .... see my reply to this question on your thread at 2cool.

If you are going to put in there at Conn Brown there are a lot of places nearby. Redfish Bay, etc. Some are protected more than others if the wind is up.

A good idea would be to buy a Hook 'n Line map of the area as was suggested earlier.

And if you don't catch anything just go to M&D Fish and Chips in Rockport to eat. wink

LOL, I was going to ask where to eat! I do plan to have the map before I even go down, its the whole tide thing that has me spooked about fishing the inter water ways.
Heck, the house we stay at has a dock on a canal that I see the nighbors park their boats at, but when I bring it up with anyone, they all say to trailer it instead because the area is way to shallow (canal leads into salt lake which leads into Copano).

Parttime (John)
Re: First time taking boat to coast, looking for input [Re: parttime] #11770561 08/11/16 02:18 AM
lite-liner Offline
Capt. CUDA
Capt. CUDA
hey, I'm learning, you can too.
current/movement is the key.
Bobby's right, the fish-n-chips is good at our place,
but so are the you-call-it Po-boys, REAL crab cakes, coconut shrimp...
303 market st. ck us out on yelp

[Linked Image]
Re: First time taking boat to coast, looking for input [Re: parttime] #11771324 08/11/16 04:18 PM
C
ccoker Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
You can get ribbonfish and offshore bait at Fishermans Wharf in Port A, right by the ferrie boats.
The area between Rockport and Aransas Pass is Estes flats, that is VERY shallow water and not a lot of channel options.

You can fish the backside of St Joe Island across from Rockport, drift fish or wade.
You can run across the bay easily to it from Rockport and you can also use the channel from the area to Port A by the ferries and then hit the jetties. Going past "Mud Island" and using the Lydia Ann channel.

Re: First time taking boat to coast, looking for input [Re: ccoker] #11771394 08/11/16 04:58 PM
P
parttime Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: ccoker
You can get ribbonfish and offshore bait at Fishermans Wharf in Port A, right by the ferrie boats.
The area between Rockport and Aransas Pass is Estes flats, that is VERY shallow water and not a lot of channel options.

You can fish the backside of St Joe Island across from Rockport, drift fish or wade.
You can run across the bay easily to it from Rockport and you can also use the channel from the area to Port A by the ferries and then hit the jetties. Going past "Mud Island" and using the Lydia Ann channel.

What type of setup/bait do you use when drifting these types of area?

Parttime (John)
Re: First time taking boat to coast, looking for input [Re: parttime] #11771771 08/11/16 08:37 PM
T
tunatamer Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
T
What type of setup/bait do you use when drifting these types of area?

If you cannot get offshore (clear the jetties) then as you come back in take a right down Lydia Ann channel. As you go down Lydia Ann, Harbor island will be on your left side and St. Jo on the right side. Tons of places to drift on either side. there are also some "cuts" you'll want to stop and toss a bait.

Try using a live shrimp under a popping cork (I like Cajun Thunder corks). If you don't have or want to fool with live shrimp then carry an assortment of plastics to use under the cork. 4" paddletails, artificial shrimp, sand eels, grubs .... they all work. Many colors and patterns work. Chartreuse is sometimes very effective.

I like to start fishing about 3' deep under the cork with the bait and then shorten it as needed.

Just throwing these plastics without the cork and working them in different ways can also catch a lot of fish.

Should be fun for you.

"still" awesum
Re: First time taking boat to coast, looking for input [Re: parttime] #11771819 08/11/16 09:06 PM
C
ccoker Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
yep. Gulp shrimp. try a few different colors and see what they hit on.

Re: First time taking boat to coast, looking for input [Re: parttime] #11771942 08/11/16 09:46 PM
P
parttime Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
P
Thanks guys, I have some of our Blabber Mouth popping corks that we'll try out. When you say drifting, you mean letting the boat drift, pulling the cork/bait? I drift fish up here an lot for cats, but that is bouncing the weight off the bottom.

Parttime (John)
Re: First time taking boat to coast, looking for input [Re: parttime] #11772298 08/12/16 12:34 AM
T
tunatamer Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
T
Thanks guys, I have some of our Blabber Mouth popping corks that we'll try out. When you say drifting, you mean letting the boat drift, pulling the cork/bait? I drift fish up here an lot for cats, but that is bouncing the weight off the bottom.

Normally you will be casting in the direction that your boat is drifting. And working the cork back to the boat by popping it vigorously now and then.

Something I like to do is catch a perch and put it on a cork and drag it behind the boat while I am fishing the other direction. Caught some nice reds that way.

how to use a popping cork for trout and reds

"still" awesum
Re: First time taking boat to coast, looking for input [Re: tunatamer] #11773046 08/12/16 01:34 PM
P
parttime Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: tunatamer

Normally you will be casting in the direction that your boat is drifting. And working the cork back to the boat by popping it vigorously now and then.

Something I like to do is catch a perch and put it on a cork and drag it behind the boat while I am fishing the other direction. Caught some nice reds that way.

how to use a popping cork for trout and reds

Thanks for the link!! I'm guessing this same drifting technique can be used in Copano Bay?

Parttime (John)
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide