Print Thread
July was a good month #11751747 07/31/16 08:25 PM
W
WoollyBugger Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
W
It's been way too long since Zach and I got out with our fly rods. July gave us a couple great opportunities though. We had a trip planned to spend a week in Estes Park, and we fished a good bit while we were there. Before we went to Colorado, we found a couple places to to a little warm-up fishing here closer to home. We were at Lake Brownwood for the 4th of July weekend. The lake was wall-to-wall boats and people, so we hit Pecan Bayou below the dam with our kayaks to escape the crowd. We weren't catching much - just a couple small bluegill. But then we got into a spot that was loaded with gar. Zach had his spinning rod and tied on a bluegill-looking swim bait. I tied on a big streamer on my 8wt. We caught several nice gar. Mostly long-nosed, but we caught a couple spotted as well as a couple alligator gar. Most were 30" - 40" long, but we hooked a couple that were 4' or a little better. We only got a handful actually in the boat. Most would come loose at the boat, but that was just as well. We didn't get any pics of the fish though. It was a great paddle, even without the fish.

A few days later, Zach and one of his buddies found a spot that had a bunch of carp and gar close to our house, so we took the fly rods to see what we could scare up. I got the rough fish grand slam - catfish, carp, and gar (spotted and gator). laugh

Then it was time to head north - finally. Estes Park is beautiful. I hadn't been there since I was a teenager, so it was great to get back. It was (of course) very crowded in Estes Park and in RMNP this time of year. We managed to elbow our way into a couple of spots to fish though.

I even managed to get my wife to try fly fishing a little. She picked up casting fairly well after just a few minutes of instruction. She didn't hook a fish, but she enjoyed learning to cast. She's looking forward to going out with me again to actually catch something. That's a win!

Re: July was a good month [Re: WoollyBugger] #11751750 07/31/16 08:26 PM
W
WoollyBugger Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
W
I was talking to a guy in one of the fly shops in town (Kirk's), and I found out that they had access to some private waters. Bingo. No crowds. You had to go with a guide to fish them (no daily rod fee DIY access), so I booked it. The girls decided they didn't want to go with us, so Zach and I had the river to ourselves. We didn't get any dry fly action, but we did well high-sticking nymph rigs in the deep holes.

Trout are slippery.

It was a good month. I'm looking forward to fall. I hope to get out in the kayaks a few times. Come on cooler weather!

Re: July was a good month [Re: WoollyBugger] #11752429 08/01/16 03:32 AM
M
McKinneyLonghorn Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Beautiful pictures. I was in Estes Park last October and fished the Big T with Jerry from Kirk's. We fished private water down in the canyon near Grandpa's Retreat, which looks like it may be where you were fishing. We fished nymphs under hoppers and caught a bunch of rainbows and a few browns. Most were fairly small, but I did catch one rainbow that was 15 inches and hooked another that broke me off in a brush pile that my guide said was likely about 19 inches. It was my first time trout fishing and I couldn't have been happier. Looks like you fished in the park as well, which is something I didn't do, but will definitely do in the future.

Re: July was a good month [Re: WoollyBugger] #11752442 08/01/16 03:48 AM
R
RonL Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Awesome pictures especially the trout pictures ! Thanks for sharing . Which rods and reels were you using on the trouts ?

RonL
Re: July was a good month [Re: WoollyBugger] #11752600 08/01/16 12:27 PM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
coolphotos Fantastic Post! cheers

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: July was a good month [Re: McKinneyLonghorn] #11753207 08/01/16 05:42 PM
W
WoollyBugger Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
W
Originally Posted By: McKinneyLonghorn
Beautiful pictures. I was in Estes Park last October and fished the Big T with Jerry from Kirk's. We fished private water down in the canyon near Grandpa's Retreat, which looks like it may be where you were fishing. We fished nymphs under hoppers and caught a bunch of rainbows and a few browns. Most were fairly small, but I did catch one rainbow that was 15 inches and hooked another that broke me off in a brush pile that my guide said was likely about 19 inches. It was my first time trout fishing and I couldn't have been happier. Looks like you fished in the park as well, which is something I didn't do, but will definitely do in the future.

Yes sir. Grandpa's is where we fished with Kirk's guide. We fished the Big T in Moraine Park, below Moraine and well above Moraine, and also Glacier Creek and Mills Lake.

Originally Posted By: RonL
Awesome pictures especially the trout pictures ! Thanks for sharing . Which rods and reels were you using on the trouts ?

We used 2wts in the park, but we switched to 4wts and 5wts in the lower Big T where it's bigger water and bigger fish.

Re: July was a good month [Re: WoollyBugger] #11756865 08/03/16 06:41 PM
C
Catfish676 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Greatness.

Re: July was a good month [Re: WoollyBugger] #11757098 08/03/16 09:01 PM
W
WoollyBugger Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
W
Thanks, Catfish. I was glad to get out with a fly rod in my hand. I was equally glad to get a fly rod in Zach's hand. He's been fishing a lot this summer with his friends, and he's been on a conventional tackle kick lately. It's been fun for him to explore new ways to fish. He's going at it completely backwards though. Most people start with conventional tackle and then find fly fishing later. I started him out on fly rods from the beginning, so he never really fished with conventional tackle much at all until recently. Hopefully, the Dark Side won't gain a permanent hold on his young soul. laugh

Re: July was a good month [Re: WoollyBugger] #11757133 08/03/16 09:18 PM
H
Hunter498 Offline
Angler
Angler
H
Great Pics

Re: July was a good month [Re: WoollyBugger] #11757225 08/03/16 10:13 PM
L
Linecaster Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Both accounts, beautiful. banana

In the beginning God created. Gen. 1:1
All things were made by him and without him was not anything made. John 1:3
Re: July was a good month [Re: WoollyBugger] #11758341 08/04/16 03:27 PM
R
RonL Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Originally Posted By: WoollyBugger
Thanks, Catfish. I was glad to get out with a fly rod in my hand. I was equally glad to get a fly rod in Zach's hand. He's been fishing a lot this summer with his friends, and he's been on a conventional tackle kick lately. It's been fun for him to explore new ways to fish. He's going at it completely backwards though. Most people start with conventional tackle and then find fly fishing later. I started him out on fly rods from the beginning, so he never really fished with conventional tackle much at all until recently. Hopefully, the Dark Side won't gain a permanent hold on his young soul. laugh

Another set of Awesome pictures ! You look mighty proud of that son , looks like a great fisherman !

RonL
Re: July was a good month [Re: WoollyBugger] #11758377 08/04/16 03:44 PM
G
Gitter Done Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
G
One super thread!

Re: July was a good month [Re: WoollyBugger] #11758395 08/04/16 03:56 PM
F
FishyB Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
This awesome! Love the pictures and to see the young man out fishing! Going to have a fishing buddy for life right there. Righteous stuff brother! smile

Re: July was a good month [Re: FishyB] #11758636 08/04/16 06:17 PM
W
WoollyBugger Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
W
Originally Posted By: RonL
Another set of Awesome pictures ! You look mighty proud of that son , looks like a great fisherman !

He's good kid. I guess I'll keep him. laugh

Originally Posted By: Gitter Done
One super thread!

Thank you, sir.

Originally Posted By: FishyB
This awesome! Love the pictures and to see the young man out fishing! Going to have a fishing buddy for life right there. Righteous stuff brother! smile

That's the plan. 19 years in, and so far so good. He makes a pretty good hunting buddy too.

He'll move into the college dorm in 2 weeks. Time flies. I'm thankful for cameras. Got lots of great memories so far, and I'm planning on adding to them as often as possible. We may not get those opportunities quite as often in the coming years, but we'll make the most of whatever opportunities we're blessed with, I'm sure.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide