Print Thread
Fly Fishing for Carp #11754873 08/02/16 03:42 PM
J
J-Moe Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
J
Over the last couple of years I have learned how to tie flies and catch lmb, white bass, hybrids, crappie and all species of bream. Along the way I accidently learned how to catch catfish, gar, drum and buffalo. But in all that time I never caught a single carp. So I began by reading everything and watching every video on the internet. As usual, there is always conflicting information and viewpoints.

I started by fishing a concrete basin with a size 8 olive backstabber. I caught an lmb, 2 catfish and a drum the first morning. I went back out that evening and there was another fisherman catching carp. The carp were feeding on the top water vegetation / algae. So he gave me a top water fly that kind of imitated the algae. He told me he was catching common carp. I caught this one and showed someone the picture. They said it was a grass carp, which makes sense.

The next morning I went out with Brian G to Bastrop. We fished a flats area that had a very soft bottom. There were several fish tailing and I was able to get the fly in front of them but couldn't get a take on the olive backstabber.

I have been looking for good areas in Houston or Austin to fish for common carp.

What are your favorite carp flies for concrete or soft bottom areas? Color, hook size, pattern, flash/no flash?

What are some of your favorite places in Texas to catch them? Some of the easiest places to get started?

I appreciate all your support in advance.

This carp measured 25 inches.

Re: Fly Fishing for Carp [Re: J-Moe] #11755275 08/02/16 08:09 PM
D
DainW Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
I've recently just started fishing for carp as well and it's fun but man they can be picky sometimes. Maybe not so much picky as they just don't see that well and don't really chase anything. If the water is muddy at all you have to get the fly right in front of their face. I live in OKC so can't help you much on spots to fish, but the one place that I do chase them is a soft bottomed run off pond that gets pretty muddy. Most of my luck has been when I can spot them close to shore and have been able to sneak up on them and more less high stick my fly right in front of their face. If you have to actually cast to them the success rate goes way down (mine does anyway). The fly I've had the most success with on soft bottom spots like you're describing is a chartreuse headstand. Not sure of the size, probably a 6 or an 8. I've actually had carp swim over and eat this fly. It's buggy looking with rubber legs, has just just a little bit of flash and stands out well in off color water which is why I think it's been so successful for me. I've also done ok on smaller crawdad patterns as well, in a brown and orange color.

Re: Fly Fishing for Carp [Re: J-Moe] #11755903 08/03/16 02:17 AM
J
J-Moe Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
J
Thanks Dain,

I did tie a small Skip's Dad crayfish pattern today. I've had good luck with it on other species. I'm glad to hear they pick up the chartreuse headstand. That color would make it easier to see the carp pick it up. A lot of what I read said to use the darker natural colors and patterns. Although, I did read one article in which the author had good luck with a chartreuse fly as well.

Appreciate the input.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide