Forums59
Topics1,039,172
Posts13,960,322
Members144,192
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Largemouth lakes around the plano/richardson area? [Re: Oboe] #11857271 09/30/16 03:50 PM
J
jippedgenes Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
J
I used to fish the ponds at Richland Junior college. caught a bunch. have not been there in MANY years though

Re: Largemouth lakes around the plano/richardson area? [Re: jippedgenes] #11862319 10/03/16 07:08 PM
P
ps1135 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
Originally Posted By: jippedgenes
I used to fish the ponds at Richland Junior college. caught a bunch. have not been there in MANY years though

Ive gone there a couple times with no luck. theres a lot of "algae"(?) in the water on west pond so after each cast you need to clear your lure.... at east pond all i saw was a TON of turtles that will swim up to you thinking you have food... havent caught anything. I think i have gotten 2 bites in the 5 times ive gone out there(couple hours each time).

Re: Largemouth lakes around the plano/richardson area? [Re: Oboe] #11874605 10/11/16 03:54 AM
G
GigTheFish Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
I went over to that Spring Creek nature preserve in richardson today, but didn't see anything bigger than a few inches. I guess the good sized fish may have moved on for the fall. I don't know enough about their seasonal patterns to know. Anyone have any other good places to try?

Re: Largemouth lakes around the plano/richardson area? [Re: Oboe] #11890331 10/20/16 01:06 PM
O
OleMiss11 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
O
If you were fishing Twin Lakes in Richardson this weekend what type of lure would you use this time of year?

Re: Largemouth lakes around the plano/richardson area? [Re: OleMiss11] #11890430 10/20/16 02:16 PM
F
Fish Chaser Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Originally Posted By: OleMiss11
If you were fishing Twin Lakes in Richardson this weekend what type of lure would you use this time of year?

I would use a purple and gold one because the fish love LSU colors. laugh
Geaux Tigers!!

Re: Largemouth lakes around the plano/richardson area? [Re: Fish Chaser] #11890536 10/20/16 03:22 PM
O
OleMiss11 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
O
Originally Posted By: Fish Chaser

I would use a purple and gold one because the fish love LSU colors. laugh
Geaux Tigers!!

Yellow shirt, purple britches
Geaux to h*** you sons of.....

Any game at Death Valley is great but Ole Miss/LSU on a fall Saturday night is special. Good luck!

Re: Largemouth lakes around the plano/richardson area? [Re: Oboe] #11892581 10/21/16 04:26 PM
D
Double K Outdoors Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Chatterbaits do well there and sometimes spinnerbaits. You could try some crankbaits as well.

~You won't catch any fish if you don't try!
[Linked Image]

Re: Largemouth lakes around the plano/richardson area? [Re: Oboe] #11897171 10/24/16 06:20 PM
O
OleMiss11 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
O
So I hit up Twin Lakes in Richardson last Friday. I fished the south pond. I was just fishing.... no catching! I threw out a dark colored chatter bait, light colored spinnerbait and a few casts with a popper. I did not get any bites. I did see someone else catch a bass. We were on opposite sides of the pond so I didn't ask what he was fishing with. I got to the pond around 5:30 and fished until about 7. I fished mainly on the southern most end of the pond. There was A LOT of algae/moss. I had to clear my lure of moss almost every cast.

Any advice?
Should I move out to more open water to avoid some moss?
Should I of gone with a more light colored chatterbait?
I am relatively new to bass fishing so any help is appreciated!!

Re: Largemouth lakes around the plano/richardson area? [Re: OleMiss11] #11897215 10/24/16 06:39 PM
B
Banker Fisherman Offline
Angler
Angler
B
Thats a good set up to bring with you to a pond. I would reccommend having a spinning reel set up with a finnese rig like a weightless senko, drop shot, wacky rig or texas rig. As for colors, black and blue with fleck for stained water/ watermellon red or green pumpkin for clearer water. If the fish aren't biting what you were throwing, then go with finnesse...or if they arent biting then they may not be there:p

[Linked Image]
Re: Largemouth lakes around the plano/richardson area? [Re: Oboe] #11897219 10/24/16 06:40 PM
I
Indianation65 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I
I fished the south pond once myself, and with no luck. I was also on the south end of the south pond by the pump. This was probably early Spring 2015. I had a buddy who mentioned later that there are bass in both ponds, more in the south pond, bigger in the north. I can't confirm, but I'll give them a go soon.

...------

Re: Largemouth lakes around the plano/richardson area? [Re: Oboe] #11897526 10/24/16 09:14 PM
O
OleMiss11 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
O
Thanks for the responses. I have never fished a senko. Just cast it out and slow steady retrieve? I read somewhere saying they saw a lot of dead fish in the north pond recently...

Again, I am pretty new to bass fishing but why would you go dark bait with darker water? I would assume opposite so I am ready to learn! ha

Re: Largemouth lakes around the plano/richardson area? [Re: OleMiss11] #11897566 10/24/16 09:47 PM
JJ4MEL Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Thanks for the responses. I have never fished a senko. Just cast it out and slow steady retrieve? I read somewhere saying they saw a lot of dead fish in the north pond recently...

Again, I am pretty new to bass fishing but why would you go dark bait with darker water? I would assume opposite so I am ready to learn! ha

Dark water, dark bait. Easier to see.My 100% go to bait in ponds with any grass is the weightless senko.

Re: Largemouth lakes around the plano/richardson area? [Re: OleMiss11] #11898615 10/25/16 02:35 PM
B
Banker Fisherman Offline
Angler
Angler
B

Fishing a senko style bait is one of the key baits in bass fishing, at least in my opinion...The reason you want a dark bait for stained water is because to the fish it creates a more distinct profile or silohuete. I always reccommend a black or deep purple bait with blue or blue/green fleck.

As for how to fish a senko, you can rig it on a worm hook as weedless and either have a bullet weight or no bullet weight, AKA Texas Rigged. You can also rig it wacky rig, carolina rig, or drop shot rigged. It is a versitile bait that can mimick a wide variety of prey that bass are familiar with.

Another thing I love about senkos is how you can skip them across the top of the water to either get under structure, or to just entice bass to a top water bite.

[Linked Image]
Re: Largemouth lakes around the plano/richardson area? [Re: Banker Fisherman] #11898836 10/25/16 04:26 PM
JJ4MEL Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: Banker Fisherman

Fishing a senko style bait is one of the key baits in bass fishing, at least in my opinion...The reason you want a dark bait for stained water is because to the fish it creates a more distinct profile or silohuete. I always reccommend a black or deep purple bait with blue or blue/green fleck.

As for how to fish a senko, you can rig it on a worm hook as weedless and either have a bullet weight or no bullet weight, AKA Texas Rigged. You can also rig it wacky rig, carolina rig, or drop shot rigged. It is a versitile bait that can mimick a wide variety of prey that bass are familiar with.

Another thing I love about senkos is how you can skip them across the top of the water to either get under structure, or to just entice bass to a top water bite.

^^Yep, what he said^^

Re: Largemouth lakes around the plano/richardson area? [Re: OleMiss11] #11900840 10/26/16 04:03 PM
B
Banker Fisherman Offline
Angler
Angler
B
OleMiss11: Another bait that I will always have on for a pond is some sort of top water bait. I like to use these baits to feel out an area quickly to see if there are any active bass. If there are some bass, but they dont get hooked on the top water, then I switch to a finesse bait to try and get'em. Some guys like to use a chatter bait, buzz bait, or a spinner bait for the purpose of checking an area quickly, but I like a top water bait.

My preffered top water is a hollow body frog with the skirted legs trimmed down and with one shorter than the other. This bait can be thrown and dragged through heavy cover and not get caught up. Plus it can be burnned across the water or slowly walked.

My other two top water baits for pond are a spook or some style of popping bait. I like both of these lures to have a trailing trebble hook with a feather pre-tied. These baits can be worked similar to a frog, but do not handle cover well as they can get snagged or caught up.

The reason I mention these baits is because I will generally fish ponds in early morning or in evening time when top water can be more effective. Of course if the conditions are right during the day for top water then you can use them.

[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide