Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Give me a clue #11745116 07/27/16 06:45 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
I decided to try my hand at catching stripers/hybrids/sandies today at Tawakoni and found out it's not as easy as some of you guys make it look. I managed to catch 6 sandies on a spoon/slab, not sure of the correct terminology, out on the holiday humps. I am pretty much clueless on what baits work best at what depths. I have great graphs with Navionics so I can find the structure if I know what type to look for and depths and I can see bait and fish if they're there but then knowing what lures to use and how to use them is just as important. I saw the boats on the humps and started fishing keeping my distance so as not to disturb anyone. I feel the 6 I caught was pure luck but sure was a lot of fun and had no idea they could fight like that. So if some of you pro's could help me with some lures and techniques I'm going back and try again. Thanks
flehan

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Give me a clue [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #11745196 07/27/16 07:14 PM
A
Andrew Taylor Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
Not a pro, but ive been fishing the same hump you're fishing for the past 3 weeks and been catching them pretty consistently. Granted i'm using live bait and even then they don't want to feed, i believe (personal opinion) that its a for sure a timing thing. I always look at it this way, if you've been in the heat all day you're typically not as hungry so a mid day bite is tough. Morning and evenings are usually easier. Fish the humps at wolf this evening and you should see some schooling action. I'll be out tonight too, just look for a red skeeter center console!

Re: Give me a clue [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #11745216 07/27/16 07:27 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
Thanks for the help AT. Live bait is not an option for me as well as night fishing. Coming from Dallas I leave early and fish the morning hours. The "humps" are the only place I know and saw several guide boats there and it looked like they were using live bait. I throw a cast net about as well as I throw a football. I may talk to the guys at BPS about lures. I know some are hesitant to share their lures and techniques but don't hurt to ask. I had a blast catching the ones I caught and want to try again sometime.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Re: Give me a clue [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #11745300 07/27/16 08:20 PM
V
VIP Fishing Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
V
I recommend that you get in touch with Mike Oser of Moes Tackle Unlimited;
https://moestackleshop.com and let him set you up with some T-Wak specials.

Then I would contact a local guide on the lake and cut the learning curve by an astronomical amount. Some of the best guides are on Twak! Matt Cartright, Joe Reed, Jimmy Smith to name a few. They will show you around the lake and teach you patterns and techniques, etc.

Originally Posted by Derek
I do enjoy a good Squirt now and then.
Re: Give me a clue [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #11745346 07/27/16 08:51 PM
A
Andrew Taylor Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
+1 on VIP comment. Jimmy and Matt are by far the best lure guides on the lake

Re: Give me a clue [Re: Andrew Taylor] #11745981 07/28/16 03:24 AM
fastguy� Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Andrew Taylor

Joe Read ain't no slouch either.

It ain't easy making it look easy.

Re: Give me a clue [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #11745999 07/28/16 03:34 AM
S
Squirrely Dan Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
I'm on different lake so different hump. It's all timing and always changing day to day it seems. I only use lures. Slabs mostly black/silver blue/silver char/silver chart/white. When I first start I'll use 2 roads with 2 different lures to see if one is better then go from there. Basically I just cruise around with tm until I see some action on depth finder. In the mean time I'll make long cast working back across bottom. Usually during middle of day I don't see a lot of action but will see one on the bottom and can drop slab down on it and get it when they aren't schooling. Most the ones I catch are just laying around on edge of hump. Sunday I was getting them in 38'-40' then in the evening they would school up on top of hump when the bait showed up. Then the screen would just be marked up with streaks. Basically don't sit and wait. Keep moving. A lot of times you can get several real quick then they move.

Fully sponsored by my mom
Re: Give me a clue [Re: fastguy�] #11746056 07/28/16 05:20 AM
A
Andrew Taylor Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
Originally Posted By: fastguy®
Originally Posted By: Andrew Taylor

Joe Read ain't no slouch either.

Definitely didn't mean to discredit Joe lol! I didn't read the reply thoroughly

Re: Give me a clue [Re: Squirrely Dan] #11746205 07/28/16 12:20 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Im RICK JAMES
I'm on different lake so different hump. It's all timing and always changing day to day it seems. I only use lures. Slabs mostly black/silver blue/silver char/silver chart/white. When I first start I'll use 2 roads with 2 different lures to see if one is better then go from there. Basically I just cruise around with tm until I see some action on depth finder. In the mean time I'll make long cast working back across bottom. Usually during middle of day I don't see a lot of action but will see one on the bottom and can drop slab down on it and get it when they aren't schooling. Most the ones I catch are just laying around on edge of hump. Sunday I was getting them in 38'-40' then in the evening they would school up on top of hump when the bait showed up. Then the screen would just be marked up with streaks. Basically don't sit and wait. Keep moving. A lot of times you can get several real quick then they move.

That's the kind of help I was looking for, thanks. I don't keep the fish I catch for food I just enjoy catching them and the challenge of finding them and getting them to bite. I was certainly pleased with the 6 I caught Wednesday on my first try. I'll use the information I get on here to get better with my time on the water and if I learn anything new I will certainly share it.

Re: Give me a clue [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #11746499 07/28/16 03:19 PM
B
benp Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
try some 3 to 4 inch sassy shad type swim baits with a 3/4 ounce or one ounce bullet jig head. cast them out let them fall to bottom or almost bottom make about 4 or 5 slow reals then let it fall, rinse and repeat. try that then try different speeds of retrieve and depths as well. throw towards a hump while your off it a bit and reel away from it. I like pearl colored swim baits with the chartreuse bullet shaped jig head personally , but white, and chartreuse both work good, you can even dip them in some garlic glow if you want. Casting spoons can work as well as slabs in the 1 -2 ounce range. drop them strait down and bounce them or cast them out and hop them back to the boat on the bottom of the lake depending on your depth or burn them in for a few reels and let them fall and rinse and repeat. keep an eye on thermocline and dont be afraid to move around if you dont get bit.

I only fish on days that end in Y!

Re: Give me a clue [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #11746536 07/28/16 03:38 PM
B
bronco71 Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
B
Here is how to throw a cast net....and the view is nice too!

Cast net lesson

1987 Nitro MX185/Mercury Black Max 150
1999 Triton TX21/225 Mercury Optimax
Re: Give me a clue [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #11746661 07/28/16 04:44 PM
A
Andrew Taylor Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
and just remember, stripers feed up hill

Re: Give me a clue [Re: bronco71] #11746872 07/28/16 06:58 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: bronco71
Here is how to throw a cast net....and the view is nice too!

Cast net lesson

I've watched that video 28 times and still can't figure out how to throw one. Guess I'll just have to keep watching.

roflmao

Re: Give me a clue [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #11746894 07/28/16 07:10 PM
B
bronco71 Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
B
LOL, doesn't hurt to take that lesson over...and over...and over.

I think I need one on one instuctions though....

1987 Nitro MX185/Mercury Black Max 150
1999 Triton TX21/225 Mercury Optimax
Re: Give me a clue [Re: benp] #11746896 07/28/16 07:11 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: benp
try some 3 to 4 inch sassy shad type swim baits with a 3/4 ounce or one ounce bullet jig head. cast them out let them fall to bottom or almost bottom make about 4 or 5 slow reals then let it fall, rinse and repeat. try that then try different speeds of retrieve and depths as well. throw towards a hump while your off it a bit and reel away from it. I like pearl colored swim baits with the chartreuse bullet shaped jig head personally , but white, and chartreuse both work good, you can even dip them in some garlic glow if you want. Casting spoons can work as well as slabs in the 1 -2 ounce range. drop them strait down and bounce them or cast them out and hop them back to the boat on the bottom of the lake depending on your depth or burn them in for a few reels and let them fall and rinse and repeat. keep an eye on thermocline and dont be afraid to move around if you dont get bit.

I just got back from BPS with a bunch of [censored]. Hoping a couple of them work. Little George, 2 different color jig heads with spinners, 2 different sizes and colors of swim baits, another spoon and some pre-rigged 6" swim baits. I've got 8 rods rigged up leaving barely enough room for me on the deck.
As far as a cast net goes I use to have one. Tried using it at Texoma one time and threw myself out of the boat. Somehow got my arm tangled in the net and almost drowned before getting loose from it. Clothes were soaked and I liked to of never got myself back in the boat. Drove back to the ramp and went home. I'll stick with lures.
Thanks everybody for the help. I am taking notes.
thumb

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide