Forums59
Topics1,041,109
Posts13,993,641
Members144,249
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Breaking News: New Game-Changing Trolling Motor from Minn Kota [Re: shut-up-and-fish] #11727607 07/17/16 08:24 PM
J
JIM SR. Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
Originally Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Holding with-in 1-2 feet. It was strongly stated that it is the most accurate spot lock system "EVER" on the market today and If I am following this correctly it has the GPS antenna in the head unit as well as the External Heading Sensor GPS Antenna for two GPS antennas.... That is a bonus thumbs up!!!!

Sounding pretty darn good to me fellas...

I have a Terrova 80, had it about 18 months and love it. If there's a new one that will hold a boat in a 1-2 foot circle it would be amazing. There are a lot of variables in using a SpotLoc that the trolling motor has to recognize almost every second. One of the problems of course the wind, and if it's swirling it's really hard to maintain the boat pointing in the correct position. Another problem is no wind, in no wind the boat can drift in any direction, again giving the trolling motor a real work out trying to stay on the spot, in no wind the back of the boat can swing in all directions. Mine operates best in the wind, about a 5-10 mph wind seems to keep the boat straight and the trolloing motor is a nice constant movement keeping me in a 5-7 foot spot. I have had times where it will move only about 2 feet, and I've had it go 8-12 feet off target. Depends on the weather, signal, etc. All in all I love it.

Re: Breaking News: New Game-Changing Trolling Motor from Minn Kota [Re: JIM SR.] #11728292 07/18/16 11:55 AM
The Crappie Guy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
After fishing with Ernest several times and watching how the MG will hold on a spot, I am totally convenienced. But the one question that is still to be answered is the absence of DI. If the MK stows like the MG; attaching a DI transducer to the motor and running the cable up the shaft is out of the question, and any loose wire on my boat drives me crazy. Ernest solved the problem on his 'toon by making a separate holding attachment, putting the transducer on it and making it so that you can put it in the water when fishing and take it out when running. So he has both DI and sonar now.

But my big question David, is will the MG work with the Helix 10 that I have on my bow...or do I have to go back to Lowrance if I go with MG? Man I remember when fishing use to be easy hammer

"The Crappie Guy"

Re: Breaking News: New Game-Changing Trolling Motor from Minn Kota [Re: The Crappie Guy] #11728362 07/18/16 01:14 PM
shut-up-and-fish Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru

Originally Posted by The Crappie Guy
After fishing with Ernest several times and watching how the MG will hold on a spot, I am totally convenienced. But the one question that is still to be answered is the absence of DI. If the MK stows like the MG; attaching a DI transducer to the motor and running the cable up the shaft is out of the question, and any loose wire on my boat drives me crazy. Ernest solved the problem on his 'toon by making a separate holding attachment, putting the transducer on it and making it so that you can put it in the water when fishing and take it out when running. So he has both DI and sonar now.

But my big question David, is will the MG work with the Helix 10 that I have on my bow...or do I have to go back to Lowrance if I go with MG? Man I remember when fishing use to be easy hammer

I can get you either motor/brand you like.

The Minn Kota Ultrex stows and deploys just like your Fortrex. The trolling motor shaft does not slide through a collar like the MotorGuide Xi5.

The MotorGuide Xi5 is not compatible with Humminbird meaning if you want the unit to link and take you to a waypoint or follow contour you will need to get a compatible Lowrance unit. I have customers all day purchasing the Xi5 that have Humminbird. The spot lock is what they are after and the 2D is compatible with Humminbird. Minn Kota is to Humminbird as MotorGide is to Lowrance. You can mix and match all day if all you are looking for is the spot lock as the spot lock is on the trolling motor and has nothing to do with your Humminbird or Lowrance electronics. Only if you want to link the motor is when your electronics need to match.

We have been asking Minn Kota to incorporate the DI/2D transducer into the motor like they have the US2 transducer already. It does not look like that happened this year. It does appear that you can zip tie the transducer cable to the shaft of the new Minn Kota Ultrex like you do on your Fortrex now. The only thing I would recommend is to make a larger loop in the transducer cable as the electric steer motors do a full rotation (360) both left to right/ right to left when using spot lock.

I have been advised that the spot lock on the new i-Pilot system that is on the Ultrex and the newly redesigned Terrova models has been greatly improved thanks to changes in software algorithms and the addition of a dedicated heading sensor GPS puck antenna to make it the best ever...

Minn Kota is excited to unveil significant enhancements to the ground-breaking Spot-Lock electronic GPS anchor, a key feature of the new i-Pilot, and i-Pilot Link systems. Advancements in hardware, software, and communications allow anglers to remain actively locked onto their spot with the push of a button, bringing unrivaled precision to 21st-century boat control.

Minn Kota has consistently maintained a culture of innovation and continuous improvements to our products with the angler always in mind. After the launch of i-Pilot, which brought the revolutionary benefits of Spot-Lock to anglers, we did not stop, said Brad Henry, Minn Kota Brand Manager.
Through this commitment, weve reinvented Spot-Lock to make it the most accurate electronic GPS anchor ever.

"Anglers will immediately notice that the reinvented Spot-Lock electronic GPS anchor holds the boat in position with unmatched precision and consistency."

Bottom line:
Simply Unbolt your current Fortrex and simply bolt on the new Ultrex and re-run your transducer cable. If you want the trolling motor to communicate with your Humminbird to follow contour and spot lock you will need to purchase the motor with i-Pilot Link system. If you are only interested in the spot lock then purchase the i-Pilot system only.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WWCnwsZbJgE[/video]

[Linked Image]
www.shut-up-and-fish.com
From *Sales, *Installation Services, and *On the shop floor Education & Instructional Tips
We have you covered here @ shut-up-and-fish for all of your Humminbird, Lowrance,
Garmin, Minn Kota & Motorguide needs plus much more - Call Now 972 822 9285
Re: Breaking News: New Game-Changing Trolling Motor from Minn Kota [Re: shut-up-and-fish] #11729045 07/18/16 07:44 PM
ERNEST PATY Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Just to clarify what David is saying, The MG will work fine with your Humminbird, Garmin Graphs. You just need the adapter for the end connector for your unit, about $35.00. The spot lock anchor feature and most all the other options except contour following and Go to will work fine even if you do not have a GPS on the front of your boat. I don't have my graph synced to my Lowrance unit and don't need to do it.

A nice feature that should interest Bass fishermen is the point and follow, simply point the head in the desired direction and turn on the power, the speed is adjustable and the boat will go in the exact direction at your speed until you tell it to stop. Want to stop along the way simply hit the anchor button.

Ernest Paty 214-202-7866
catchcrappie@aol.com

Re: Breaking News: New Game-Changing Trolling Motor from Minn Kota [Re: shut-up-and-fish] #11729337 07/18/16 11:02 PM
U
UJC Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
U
Another point on the MG, is for it to link to Lowrance, it has to be at least Gen 2. Is this correct David?

Re: Breaking News: New Game-Changing Trolling Motor from Minn Kota [Re: UJC] #11729468 07/19/16 12:49 AM
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru

Originally Posted By: UJC
Another point on the MG, is for it to link to Lowrance, it has to be at least Gen 2. Is this correct David?

Yes Jimmy, Gen2 or Gen3

You can utilize either brand of electronics and still achieve the anchor/spot lock. If you want to link to the trolling motor you will need Lowrance Gen2/Gen3. Linking will allow for you to tell the motor from your Lowrance unit to go to said waypoint or follow said contour.

It will require the additional gateway kit and NMEA 2000 starter kit @ $328.00.

W/out linking the electronics to the trolling motor you still have spot lock feature available along with 6 waypoints you can save onto the remote and again can utilize any electronics brand.

[Linked Image]
www.shut-up-and-fish.com
From *Sales, *Installation Services, and *On the shop floor Education & Instructional Tips
We have you covered here @ shut-up-and-fish for all of your Humminbird, Lowrance,
Re: Breaking News: New Game-Changing Trolling Motor from Minn Kota [Re: shut-up-and-fish] #11738014 07/23/16 04:53 PM
K
koobycrappie Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
David, will the Helix 9 Link with the new Ultrex, or does it have to be a 10 or 12 Helix?

I'm always in a good mood when I'm fishing.
Kevin Kubiak
Lakes Somerville and Granger, crappie guide
512-848-4469
www.hotcrappie.com
pro staff; proanglertackle.com

Re: Breaking News: New Game-Changing Trolling Motor from Minn Kota [Re: shut-up-and-fish] #11738055 07/23/16 05:26 PM
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru

Hello Kevin,

Yes the new Minn Kota Ultrex will link with the Helix 9 w/i-Pilot Link

[Linked Image]
www.shut-up-and-fish.com
Re: Breaking News: New Game-Changing Trolling Motor from Minn Kota [Re: shut-up-and-fish] #11738118 07/23/16 06:10 PM
K
koobycrappie Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
Originally Posted By: shut-up-and-fish

Hello Kevin,

Yes the new Minn Kota Ultrex will link with the Ultrex w/i-Pilot Link

With any Helix?

Kevin Kubiak
512-848-4469
www.hotcrappie.com

Re: Breaking News: New Game-Changing Trolling Motor from Minn Kota [Re: shut-up-and-fish] #11738131 07/23/16 06:18 PM
K
koobycrappie Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
I found it on Humminbird site the list that are compatible.
Thx David.
Looks as if it is even compatible with my old 898

Kevin Kubiak
512-848-4469
www.hotcrappie.com

Re: Breaking News: New Game-Changing Trolling Motor from Minn Kota [Re: shut-up-and-fish] #11738278 07/23/16 08:21 PM
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru

Any Helix 9 or above will link with the Ultrex w/i-Pilot Link. Yes and some older core models as well.

[Linked Image]
www.shut-up-and-fish.com
Re: Breaking News: New Game-Changing Trolling Motor from Minn Kota [Re: shut-up-and-fish] #11738298 07/23/16 08:39 PM
44 Diesel Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Any Humminbird unit that has Ethernet network capabilities is compatible

Re: Breaking News: New Game-Changing Trolling Motor from Minn Kota [Re: shut-up-and-fish] #11738339 07/23/16 09:09 PM
K
koobycrappie Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
Thanks guys.... really excited at what this new trolling motor can do if your a guide.
So many times that I have to get off of trolling motor to do something with clients and next thing you know you have been blown off your spot by at least 50 ft.
It will save me time and will be able to catch more fish since I will always be close to my b/p with spot lock.
Then I can take over with the cable steer if I want to get exactly lined up.

I have been telling folks for years that if they would ever come up with this type of hybrid motor that would incorporate cable steer with electronic steering that I would jump on it!

Hope it is as good as they say as I have held back buying the MG, just to see what MK would come up with.

Time will tell! cheer

Kevin Kubiak
512-848-4469
www.hotcrappie.com

Re: Breaking News: New Game-Changing Trolling Motor from Minn Kota [Re: shut-up-and-fish] #11739880 07/24/16 10:45 PM
B
Bigskippy Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I wish it would work with Hummingbird 360. I really want 360 on my rig. I may still get one if I can zip tie the DI cable to the shaft, but I won't if it's just going to be hanging there all willy-nilly.

And it will also depend on whether it will hold on a brush pile like they say it will. If it does, that will be huge for boat control while crappie fishing, not too mention all the extra stuff I'll be able to do while hybrid fishing. Hybrid fishing with spot lock and autopilot is way better than manual steering all day with a conventional trolling motor. But cable steering is a must for control or skinny water situations, so this looks like it could be a good motor for me.

But man, I wish there was a way to put 360 up there. From everyone I've talked too, that 360 is a real game changer as well. You would think that since Minn Kota and Humminbird are both manufactured by Johnson Outdoors, they would have thought of this and would come out with some type of bracket system for the 360 transducer to be mounted on their brand new mack-daddy trolling motor. But once again, so far, it seems that the crappie fishermen must take a back seat to the bass fishermen when it comes to design and features. All they would have really had to do is have a fixed shaft at the top so that the 360 could be mounted (fixed), but I guess bass guys don't care about 360. You would also think that they would add a DI transducer option for humminbird owners. That would help them sell both minn Kota and humminbird and make people more brand loyal. But that's just what I think.

Either way, I'm excited to see this thing in action.

Last edited by Bigskippy; 07/24/16 11:03 PM.

Glen Roberts

"Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
Re: Breaking News: New Game-Changing Trolling Motor from Minn Kota [Re: Bigskippy] #11739898 07/24/16 10:54 PM
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru

Originally Posted By: Bigskippy
I wish it would work with Hummingbird 360. I may still get one if I can zip tie the DI cable to the shaft. And if it will hold onto a BP

I have been informed that it does accept the 360 bow system. I am not sure how at this point but it is what I have been told.

[Linked Image]
www.shut-up-and-fish.com
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide