Forums59
Topics1,039,180
Posts13,960,450
Members144,192
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: B.A.S.S. Bracket final day change!! [Re: bassmanrudy] #11737764 07/23/16 12:36 PM
Mark Jones Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Seems to me the ruling on this was clear. As a side note, KVD is washed up...

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: B.A.S.S. Bracket final day change!! [Re: Bullet20XrD] #11737877 07/23/16 02:42 PM
RedRanger Offline
burro desagradable
burro desagradable
Originally Posted By: Bullet20XrD
That is bush league. They might has well have just given KVD the trophy and saved everyone else the drive. Switching to MLF style on the last day and then not DQ'ing his entire weight for fishing in an off-limits. Bad form. If I was Hackney and Hite, I'd be pissed.

This is one reason a Hot Dog eating contest gets more TV coverage than Bass Fishing.

Re: B.A.S.S. Bracket final day change!! [Re: bassmanrudy] #11737960 07/23/16 04:10 PM
ssmith Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
different rules for different folks whats new with that.

Re: B.A.S.S. Bracket final day change!! [Re: bassmanrudy] #11738000 07/23/16 04:39 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Is this a KVD hate forum ? Weldon explained in detail the why's and wherefores' of his ruling. Seems folks get tired of a winner very quickly and find more reasons why he shouldn't have won. How 'bout the man is a really really good fisherman and a man and congratulate him for it for cryin' out loud. I don't see or hear Hite bashing him for it so why should anyone else.
de

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: B.A.S.S. Bracket final day change!! [Re: bassmanrudy] #11738015 07/23/16 04:54 PM
1crawdad Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
This isn't favoritism.
The difference bw the KVD situation and Hackney's DQ was that in KVD's case, they knew exactly which fish was caught in the off limits, because it was weighed and written down.
In Hackney's case, they couldn't know which fish was from the off limits because it was mixed in with the others in his livewell. Therefore, he had to toss his whole 5 fish limit.
IF they could have known the exact fish in Hackneys case, it would have been a whole different situation, the rest of his limit would have been allowed to stand.

This is pretty much straight from Trip Weldons mouth, he explained it all on video to KVD and Hite, and at the end of the video Hite asked him the difference b/w this and the Hackney DQ and he explained.

And yes, I do think this was a goofy format smile

Re: B.A.S.S. Bracket final day change!! [Re: 1crawdad] #11738026 07/23/16 04:59 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: 1crawdad
This isn't favoritism.
The difference bw the KVD situation and Hackney's DQ was that in KVD's case, they knew exactly which fish was caught in the off limits, because it was weighed and written down.
In Hackney's case, they couldn't know which fish was from the off limits because it was mixed in with the others in his livewell. Therefore, he had to toss his whole 5 fish limit.
IF they could have known the exact fish in Hackneys case, it would have been a whole different situation, the rest of his limit would have been allowed to stand.

This is pretty much straight from Trip Weldons mouth, he explained it all on video to KVD and Hite, and at the end of the video Hite asked him the difference b/w this and the Hackney DQ and he explained.

+1 and end of story.
thumb

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Re: B.A.S.S. Bracket final day change!! [Re: Mark Jones] #11738036 07/23/16 05:10 PM
C
Chris_K Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Originally Posted By: Mark Jones

Very clear if some one takes the time to understand. Everyone shoots off at the mouth before they take the time to understand.

Re: B.A.S.S. Bracket final day change!! [Re: bassmanrudy] #11738060 07/23/16 05:28 PM
B
Bullet20XrD Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Yea, super clear. What's confusing about changing the rules during the middle of the game. I mean, shame on us that shoot our mouth's off that have been fishing tournaments for 25 years to call it like we see it.

Here's why I call it bush league. Hackney didn't have Trip Weldon in his boat to tell him immediately that his fish was caught in an off-limits area so that he had the opportunity to just throw the one fish back that he caught. He had a standard Marshall that is not allowed to offer any information to the angler that could alter the course of the tournament. Trip offering information that VanDam's fish was caught off limits did exactly that, by allowing him to not utilize that one small fish and keep the weight he'd caught previous to that. In addition, Van Dam may have continued to fish in the off-limits area for additional time, thereby making those fish ineligible and preventing him for fishing for fish in a legal area for the remainder of the day.

I realize this is a new format to them, but I can guarantee they are utilizing the same rule book from standard Elite series tournaments. I also question the motives behind changing from heaviest five fish weight to total overall weight on the final day. If that didn't put the odds in VanDam's favor on the final day, I don't know what would.

Re: B.A.S.S. Bracket final day change!! [Re: Mark Jones] #11738064 07/23/16 05:30 PM
K.D. Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Mark Jones

Please!! If you're going to do that, at least press the barb down first

Re: B.A.S.S. Bracket final day change!! [Re: Bullet20XrD] #11738071 07/23/16 05:35 PM
1crawdad Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn

Here's why I call it bush league. Hackney didn't have Trip Weldon in his boat to tell him immediately that his fish was caught in an off-limits area so that he had the opportunity to just throw the one fish back that he caught. He had a standard Marshall that is not allowed to offer any information to the angler that could alter the course of the tournament. Trip offering information that VanDam's fish was caught off limits did exactly that, by allowing him to not utilize that one small fish and keep the weight he'd caught previous to that. In addition, Van Dam may have continued to fish in the off-limits area for additional time, thereby making those fish ineligible and preventing him for fishing for fish in a legal area for the remainder of the day.

You make some good points. The reason they could know the exact fish in KVD's case was because of the catch/weigh/release format. As I understand it, Hackneys fish were mixed into the livewell so they couldn't be identified individually.
If Hackney had realized it on the water, he could have called the TD and they would have said toss the fish back and keep the rest.

It sucks for Hackney, totally an honest mistake, but it would have sucked juat as bad for KVD too.
He did have Weldon in the boat, and when he went to the off limits area, Trip knew they were getting close and KVD said the off limits was beyond the next bridge. Weldon said we need to check a map, and KVD caught a fish right about then, and after the fish catch they reviewed the map and figured out they were OB. Again, an honest mistake, but yes it was fortunate to be able to deal with it on the spot.
I think the powers of the boat official in this format are different than a basic marshall in a normal elite event.

Re: B.A.S.S. Bracket final day change!! [Re: Bullet20XrD] #11738090 07/23/16 05:48 PM
C
Chris_K Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Yea, super clear. What's confusing about changing the rules during the middle of the game. I mean, shame on us that shoot our mouth's off that have been fishing tournaments for 25 years to call it like we see it.

I realize this is a new format to them, but I can guarantee they are utilizing the same rule book from standard Elite series tournaments. I also question the motives behind changing from heaviest five fish weight to total overall weight on the final day. If that didn't put the odds in VanDam's favor on the final day, I don't know what would.

Hackney was informed by a competitor right then that he was OB. All it would have taken was one phone call to err on the side of caution

I agree on the rule changes mid tournament

Last edited by Chris_K; 07/23/16 05:49 PM.
Re: B.A.S.S. Bracket final day change!! [Re: bassmanrudy] #11738127 07/23/16 06:16 PM
B
Bullet20XrD Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
I know Hackney was informed he was in an off limits area by Murray, and that is on him for not calling Trip Weldon immediately. I totally agree with you on that. A 5 minute phone call could have probably saved him $150,000.00 or whatever it is they give for AOY nowadays. So I'm with you there.

My main point is marshals should't be able to say anything regarding helping a competitor, period. In the instance of this bracket format it could possibly have affected the outcome of the tournament when Trip informed KVD that he caught a fish off-limits. KVD could have fished off limits for longer and caught more ineligible fish, while Hite was catching eligible fish. Maybe, maybe not. We will never know because Trip offered information to KVD that he was in off-limits so KVD immediately quit fishing there.

My second point is that it was changed to the last day to total weight and not heaviest 5 as is stated on the B.A.S.S. website.

That's all I'm saying. I have no stake in the game other than the fact that I follow it and I like to see the rules and punishments applied consistently amongst anglers.

Re: B.A.S.S. Bracket final day change!! [Re: Bullet20XrD] #11738152 07/23/16 06:34 PM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity

Wow, with your knowledge, expertise and 25 years of experience I'm surprised you're not a tournament director
for BASS. Oh but wait, your partiality to one angler, as you are accusing BASS of doing, might cause some to criticize your ruling too and that would be totally unfair to you wouldn't it. So far I haven't heard Hackney, Hite or any other angler in the tournament complain or disagree with the outcome of the tournament, just the experts on this forum. The tournament is over, the winner has his trophy and money, all competitive anglers everywhere should be saying congrats and good job KVD. Congrats KVD on a job well done.
thumb

Re: B.A.S.S. Bracket final day change!! [Re: 1crawdad] #11738904 07/24/16 03:55 AM
B
bbassfishes Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Originally Posted By: 1crawdad
This isn't favoritism.

Was there not a marshall in his boat to call this? I thought that was the whole point in them...

Was there not a marshall in his boat to call this? I thought that was the whole point in them...

Last edited by bbassfishes; 07/24/16 03:55 AM.
Re: B.A.S.S. Bracket final day change!! [Re: bassmanrudy] #11738924 07/24/16 04:30 AM
H
hookinbass Offline
Angler
Angler
H
lol....KVD haters.. They all said he was done and washed up but this makes 3 this season..

Lews
Xtreme Angler Series Rods
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide