Print Thread
New guy... Asking for opinions. #11725581 07/16/16 03:49 AM
T
trbrmc Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
T
I've been itching to get into kayaking for some time now. I live in a place where there's not gonna be a chance that I could test paddle a boat, so I thought I'd ask for some opinions. I live in southeast Texas, right on the Sabine River/lake area and mostly would be fishing flat marshy stuff, but I also LOVE going to the beach to fish as well. I've been eyeing the Jackson kraken 13.5 model, but recently started looking into the wilderness systems atak. So, now I'm kinda leaning toward the atak because it seems like it'll fit my needs a little better, but I also know (from reading a lot of articles) that the kraken is a fishing machine. So, needless to say - I'm a little torn. I'll probably end up with the atak, just because I'm thinking that the kraken will excel in the surf and will be alright in the marsh and it seems like the atak will do quite well in both areas. I'm also a guy that suffers a bit from some lower back issues, so another reason I'm looking at these two is because of their seats. Anyways, enough of my rambling, please let me know your thoughts!

people should not fear their government, the government should fear its people.
Re: New guy... Asking for opinions. [Re: trbrmc] #11725622 07/16/16 05:00 AM
B
bert Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
There are plenty of kayak vendors in the Houston area, watch for demo days and take a little drive. The only way to know a kayak is to paddle it and you may want to wait for all the new kayaks they are rolling out at ICAST right now that will be coming out in a few months.

Bert

"Ipsa scientia potestas est"-Knowledge in itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

"Beware the lolipop of mediocrity, one lick and you could suck forever" - unknown author
Re: New guy... Asking for opinions. [Re: trbrmc] #11726012 07/16/16 04:33 PM
F
Fish ZoMbiE Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
Your looking at some nice kayaks. Seems you've done some homework...

The ATAK, Kraken, Ride 135 & also the Big Game II all have the raised seats and will getter done. The Kraken was built with offshore fishing in mind so, its slimmer (less stable) which SHOULD allow u to travel faster.
The ATAK has the best cockpit layout IMO. NOTE: I've seen them in person but haven't paddled them. Of them all, the Kraken & Big Game II are going to handle the surf best. The Big Game II & ATAK are the widest (most stable) but, the Big Game has the highest weight capacity & also happens to be the shortest in length (transport). These are all some of the reasons why I ended up going to it. I've had other yaks that handled the surf better but they did not fish shallows as well as the Big Game II does. Higher weight capacity = more buoyancy which also means u ride higher in the water with less drag. The ATAK is the Longest yak you mentioned. To me anything over 13.5ft is harder to manage. Keep that in mind especially since u you have back issues. My advise is to keep it under 14'. Your back will thank you for it later. Demoing is so important! U can fish from an inner tube & enjoy it especially when u have nothing to compare it to. Once you compare it to Name Brand Kayak Hype 9000 your gonna want one of those not your inner tube. So go demo as many as you can side by side b4 you lay down the doe.

Re: New guy... Asking for opinions. [Re: trbrmc] #11726052 07/16/16 05:08 PM
C
christian myrick Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
One thing to consider is the weight. Atack is a sweet ride but pretty heavy, i dont know about the kracken as i have never paddled one. I paddle a viking profish reload and my girlfriend has the profish 400 lite. Both have been in caddo lake in the backwaters and as far as 7 miles offshore ths passed week in florida. The profish 400 lite is just that, light. It is easy for one man to carry and lift weihing around 50 or 60 lbs. My reload is 70+ still not bad. We load them on fairly tall full size suvs. We cruz about 4.5 mpd on a leasure paddle. Worth a look imo. Weight cap is 400+lbs on both boats.

Re: New guy... Asking for opinions. [Re: trbrmc] #11726752 07/17/16 02:12 AM
T
trbrmc Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
T
Thanks for the considerations! I've put a bit of thought into the weight and the length. Most the ones I've looked into are roughly within 10lbs of each other; which to me seems like not much. Length is more of a concern when considering the weight, since a 14-15' kayak is massive and cumbersome. Carrying it isn't a concern, it's loading and unloading - it can definitely make something that's supposed to be fun, suck. I'm not looking to be the fastest guy in a kayak, just wanna fish and want something that'll do well in my area. I'll try to make it to a demo; I just hate going to Houston! Plus, having a three year old and the fact that I'm starting school again in fall (with a full time job) makes it seem impossible!
I plan on having a kayak regardless, starting 2017! Thanks again!

people should not fear their government, the government should fear its people.
Re: New guy... Asking for opinions. [Re: trbrmc] #11727652 07/17/16 09:05 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: trbrmc
Length is more of a concern when considering the weight, since a 14-15' kayak is massive and cumbersome. Carrying it isn't a concern, it's loading and unloading - it can definitely make something that's supposed to be fun, suck.

Your concern about weight is pretty much a bigger concern with those who may not be weight lifters, or older kayakers, and face it, we are all going to age sooner than a lot of folks think.
I'd like to see kayaks kept in the 60 to 70# range max. but that may not be possible, but you never know.
The newer more comfortable and wider more stable kayaks come with a price of being heavier, but you might offset that a little by removing the seat and anything else within reason from the kayak before loading and unloading. Most of the weight posted in the stats is with everything as is from the factory.

Last edited by Jimbo; 07/17/16 09:18 PM.

Just one more cast!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide