I have a 12 ft jon boat. Got it camo-painted, registered, tagged, etc. Did some research and decided on a 55lb thrust Minn Kota trolling motor. Bought the motor and battery earlier this week, planning to take it out tonight. I'm totally new to this stuff, first time boat owner, etc., so I've got some questions for you seasoned guys...
The motor came with a battery charger. So when I got home I checked the battery with the charger's built-in charge-check feature. The battery is the Cabelas brand deep cycle lead acid battery. It needed a charge, apparently. But it charged up and now reads "fully charged". Question #1--is that normal? (For the new battery I just bought to need a charge before I use it...?)
The trolling motor I bought is a transom mount, and it will be my only motor (at least for a while). Once I mount the motor to the transom, the wires coming off the underside of the head of the motor look like they're long enough to reach the battery if I place the battery down near the transom behind the rear bench of my boat. Now, I'm obviously not planning on particularly splashing a bunch of water in the boat, but it's certainly possible that water can and might splash into the boat a little--especially since it's a small jon boat and sits pretty low to the water. So, Question #2--is it ok for the battery/battery terminals/wire end connectors to get a bit wet or splashed here and there? I'm not extremely familiar with boats and all of this marine electronics stuff, but I would imagine that these products have been designed to withstand minimal amounts of contact with water, considering that they are designed to be used on boats. But I also know that electronics and water usually don't play well together. Should I be taking extra precautions to keep that battery and the terminals dry?
Anything else you guys feel like I ought to know about my new trolling motor and battery setup before I take her out tonight?
Thanks in advance!
Edited by Le Royal Catfish (07/15/16 12:07 PM)