Print Thread
Rookie #11722577 07/14/16 06:25 PM
L
LRG Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
L
I have fly fished a couple times and would like to spend more time over the next couple years building skills. I fish on a regular basis and would like to add this to the arsenal and the enjoyment. I do not want to go in with low end components that I will not be happy with in a year, but would like the opinion of this group to help narrow the field of choices. In doing my homework, Allen seems to have a quality product at a reasonable price, but I do not ever see them mentioned on this forum. I can get their Trout II reel and Alluvion rod in the $400 price range. The components seem as quality as other name brand products and the reviews have all compared them to the Orvis and Sage lines as at least equal in quality and performance. If you could recommend the make/model of another brand that would keep the combo in the $400 range, I would be open for suggestions.

Re: Rookie [Re: LRG] #11722613 07/14/16 06:44 PM
rrhyne56 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
There are quite a few. I can recommend TFO as a high quality brand that covers a wide range, including your listed range, of $400.
TFO Fly Rods and Reels

"have fun with this stuff"
in memory of Big Dale
RRhyne56, Flyfishing warden
Re: Rookie [Re: LRG] #11722650 07/14/16 07:04 PM
L
Lloyd5 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
L
I'd guess that most people new to fly fishing get very focused on equipment in the beginning. I know I did. But eventually you'll probably find that the equipment is a minimal concern. It is important to get a decent set up that is balanced. A rod that fits your needs for your particular fishing, a reel that doesn't over weigh the rod or is too small for the line you use, good leader and tippet.

My own opinion after many years of this is that equipment is important but not all that important. There are more than a few gearheads that remain obsessed by their equipment, which is fine if you're a gearhead and enjoy that sort of thing.

The most important thing though is to get out on the water and fish and enjoy the time spent doing it. If money is no object then spend what you're comfortable with. If money is important then you can certainly put together a good working outfit for around half what you're thinking.

The difference between a $2,000 rod and a $100 rod probably won't realistically be apparent to you until after several years of casting, and even then it won't make much difference in how far or accurately you cast - not a difference anywhere near equivalent to the cost differential anyway. Maybe ten feet of difference in casting length and a few inches of accuracy. Maybe.

Texas State Editor: FishExplorer http://www.fishexplorer.com/tx

http://www.amazon.com/River-Proceeds-Wou...ds=on+the+river

Warm Water Fly Fishing Nut
Re: Rookie [Re: LRG] #11722745 07/14/16 07:56 PM
L
LRG Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
L
rrhyne,
I have looked through the TFO line and the BVK seems to be a great piece of equipment in both the rod and reel. In this line I would choose the 8'6" 4W rod, but what reel should this be paired with. I will be fishing for panfish, white bass, black bass, crappie. I think the 3W reel would work just fine, but the 2W reel specs seem to be the same with the only difference noted is weight and 5 yards worth of line capacity. The weight of the 2W is a plus and the capacity of 5 yards difference could not be a deal breaker, but am I missing something that would make a better choice between the 2W and 3W?

Re: Rookie [Re: LRG] #11722757 07/14/16 08:05 PM
T
Texjbq Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
This is a great option, among many, look at redington, orvis clearwater, TFO
Cabela's RLS

A $400 dollar budget is more than enough to get yourself set up very nicely. What type of fishing do you plan on doing? The Weight of rod you choose is probably more important than the maker.

I would consider 2 setups at $200 a piece. The most expensive 5 wt fly rod in the world won't cast big bass bugs and heavy streamer well. The best 8 wt money can buy won't be as fun as a $75 3 wt when catching bluegills

Re: Rookie [Re: LRG] #11722770 07/14/16 08:10 PM
L
LRG Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
L
I bass fish on a regular basis. I am not looking to be trophy bass fishing with this rig, but more for the enjoyment of catching whatever bites and is available wherever I am at the time. I fish from my boat a couple times/week and would like to use it when I see smaller sandbass schooling or to play in some of the back coves with. I am on the Lampasas River 4-5 times/year, 5 minutes from the Nolan River. I would rather be able to go too small than too large.

Re: Rookie [Re: LRG] #11722828 07/14/16 08:39 PM
M
Meadowlark Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
M
Originally Posted By: LRG
... Allen seems to have a quality product at a reasonable price, but I do not ever see them mentioned on this forum. ....

Congrats! You did your homework well. I have several Allen Reels including the Kraken and Trout reels. They are totally outstanding quality. You are very unlikely to ever need to upgrade, especially the Kraken.

I've fished them in Alaska, Mexico, South Pacific, etc. etc. Have landed bones, Permit, Tarpon, GT's, King salmon on these reels and they performed flawlessly.

I don't know about their rods...haven't purchased any...but if they are anything like the quality of their reels, you can't go wrong. Just because they aren't mentioned here, don't let that influence your thinking. The reels are top notch quality.

Re: Rookie [Re: LRG] #11722925 07/14/16 09:39 PM
D
DainW Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
I would say if you're willing to spend $400 on a rod and reel combo you're probably not gonna go wrong with whatever you get and it's more a matter of personal preference. Everything mentioned here is great, redington, TFO, Allen, even Sage and Orvis have nice offerings at that price point. I'd say just go cast a few different ones until you find what you like.

I would say, based on what type of fishing you plan on doing, you might want to think about a 6 weight instead of a 4 weight. You want to think about the size of the flies that you'll be throwing, not necessarily the size of the fish you'll be catching. An 8'6 4 weight is a fun rod on bluegill and crappie, but if you're going to be pursuing sand bass, you might be understicked with that. Even an average size clouser minnow would be a little heavy to throw on a 4 weight. Just my opinion here, but a 6 weight gives you a good amount of backbone to throw larger flies on, but it's not so heavy that catching smaller fish on it won't be any fun. My 6 weight is pretty much my all around rod for everything from bass to carp.

Re: Rookie [Re: LRG] #11723022 07/14/16 10:47 PM
Y
YAKnIT Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Y
I would also recommend you look at a 6 wt for the first rod. There are lots of bass/sand bass/striper flies you can throw with a 6 wt that be very frustrating on the 4 wt. It's also a good starting point to build from when you add another rod or two. If you are throwing bigger flies, then add an 8wt as a second rod. It's great for LMB and stripers. If you find yourself throwing smaller flies then add a 4 wt as the second rod. And maybe you eventually end up with all three. Just sayin' :-)

Re: Rookie [Re: LRG] #11723256 07/15/16 01:11 AM
M
mbarker68x Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
M
They stopped making them, but I recommend the TFO Axiom. I have the 5wt that I regrouped and installed a fighting butt. I have it paired with a Lamson Liquid 1.5 reel and lined with a rio outbound custom cut t-8 full sink shooting head at 275 grains, and on the extra spool I have a Cortland 444 WF6F line. Cast heavy streamers for Hybrids and Stripers all the time. Have even used a 8 wt floating on the 5wt. I can shoot the full length of the rio line, but honestly don't have a need to have that much line out. Any of the Axiom rods have a fast action and a lot of back bone to full the fish out of cover. I dread the day when I break it and have to choose a replacement Rod. Will probably go with the New TFO Clouser series.

Re: Rookie [Re: LRG] #11723323 07/15/16 01:48 AM
R
RexW Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
rrhyne,
I have looked through the TFO line and the BVK seems to be a great piece of equipment in both the rod and reel. In this line I would choose the 8'6" 4W rod, but what reel should this be paired with. I will be fishing for panfish, white bass, black bass, crappie. I think the 3W reel would work just fine, but the 2W reel specs seem to be the same with the only difference noted is weight and 5 yards worth of line capacity. The weight of the 2W is a plus and the capacity of 5 yards difference could not be a deal breaker, but am I missing something that would make a better choice between the 2W and 3W?

If you are asking about the BVK reel sizes, I'm using a BVK I with a 5 wt line and I have a BVK III with an 8 wt line, but the 8wt line would easily fit on a BVK II reel. The III is a large reel.

Fly Fishers International certified casting instructor
TFO Rods pro staff
Re: Rookie [Re: RexW] #11723926 07/15/16 12:46 PM
L
LRG Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
L
Originally Posted By: RexW
rrhyne,

If you are asking about the BVK reel sizes, I'm using a BVK I with a 5 wt line and I have a BVK III with an 8 wt line, but the 8wt line would easily fit on a BVK II reel. The III is a large reel.

I think this is what is keeping me confused. I am working under the assumption that a 4W rod/reel combo was best designed for 4W line and flies +- sizes and weights that would be adequate for a 4W setup. If rigging a 4W reel can be done with many combinations of line weights, then the possibilities are endless and I am more confused than when I began researching this a year ago.

Re: Rookie [Re: LRG] #11724487 07/15/16 05:29 PM
B
BoPro Offline
Angler
Angler
B
4 wts are fun, but I would lean towards a 6 wt if you were mainly bass fishing. Bass are generally near some sort of structure. A heavier rod with some back bone would help steer them clear. Casting a 4wt in the Texas wind can be a chore.

My main rod is a 7wt Sage Method, but that's because I tend to throw huge flies, and I don't catch small fish... grin

Echo, Redington, and St Croix also have nice rods in your price range.

Re: Rookie [Re: LRG] #11724570 07/15/16 06:23 PM
D
DainW Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D

I think this is what is keeping me confused. I am working under the assumption that a 4W rod/reel combo was best designed for 4W line and flies +- sizes and weights that would be adequate for a 4W setup. If rigging a 4W reel can be done with many combinations of line weights, then the possibilities are endless and I am more confused than when I began researching this a year ago. [/quote]

Ok to answer this question, generally speaking you're correct. A 4 weight rod would usually be paired with a 4 weight line. Sometimes guys will overline their rod by a line weight, throwing a 7 weight line with a 6 weight rod for instance. As for reels, for the type of fishing you'll be doing anyway, they're mostly just storage devices for the line. When a reel is rated as 4/5 weight reel, that means it's large enough to handle the average size spool of 4 weight fly line and some backing. Not that you couldn't necessarily put 8 weight line on a 4 weight reel, but you wouldn't have room for as much backing if that makes sense. But in so many words, yes. Most people pair line weights to corresponding rod and reel weights.

Re: Rookie [Re: LRG] #11724810 07/15/16 08:15 PM
L
LRG Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
L
So with a 5W setup and a spare spool, I could learn and vary from 4W to 6W until I find a combination that I am happy with. Thanks for all the help with these questions. Tons of information out there, but sometimes it gets difficult to sort out.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide