Print Thread
Granger Report #11719621 07/13/16 02:02 AM
F
feagins28 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
F
Fished granger today for the first time. Was gonna take the kayak out, but after doing some research yesterday noticed that today was going to be really windy and thought better of it. Fished from the bank and caught about 25 Dinks and my only keeper being a 16 inch channel cat. I'm wondering because this is a frequently fished spot can it be overfished? I had a blast finally finding the thump after smacking ditch pickles since I moved to this area, but I really wanna hang a fang in some crappie! Any advice helps and thanks in advance guys!

Re: Granger Report [Re: feagins28] #11719842 07/13/16 03:41 AM
Lucas Loafman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I was out on Granger a week ago Saturday and struggled with the little guys too. We had eight keepers out of 30-35 fish caught. Lot of 9.5's. We fished some brush around Fox Park that I could access with my trolling motor since I had some water in the fuel.

Re: Granger Report [Re: feagins28] #11719847 07/13/16 03:48 AM
C
Cowboytex Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Never fished down there, but here shallower than 17' +/- is holding smaller fish, in my limited experience. I'm sure someone with more knowledge of the lake can help you more, but I'm betting if you get that kayak out and you know some deeper spot you'll do better. 25 dink still ain't bad from the bank!

Re: Granger Report [Re: feagins28] #11720469 07/13/16 03:40 PM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
heres my view of Granger. First of all its not a lake I fish frequently , but have fished it enough to get a good picture of the way it is. LOTS of pressure on that little lake by good fisherman with the best sonar. WAY too many brushpiles, that scatter the fish. If your looking for a brushpile thats going to pump out 10 a half dozen 1.5 lb fish, you might be out there and never find it. when larger fish get scarce smaller fish tend to start being kept, because nobody wants to go home with a empty cooler.
When fishing gets tough, lots of folks decide to go put out "stealth" piles. These are very small piles that most people will pass up, or just cannot and will not find, due to where they are placed and thier experience finding small structure and or cover. Anyone who has been crappie fishing a while, knows the bigger fish tend to be loners or hang in pairs. The trick to catching some keepers on granger right now is to fish ALOT of larger piles and cull thru all of the juviniles to get some keepers or spend the time and burn the gas to find the "personal piles" that hold 1 to 2 maybe 3 larger keeper fish. Either way, your gonna work for them, your gonna fish ALOT of spots, to get a decent mess of fish. There are local guides who can make a decent day, that know where to go , when to go there, what to use, what not to use, ect. This is the exception in my opinion. Its a two edged sword,, all of the small brushpiles in the lake make for plenty of habitat for the fish, but on the same token, it scatters the hell out of them and my idea of having a fun fishing trip is NOT fishing 45 piles, to get 8 barely keepers. Just one mans opinion, and like anuses everybody has one.

Last edited by leanin post; 07/13/16 03:41 PM.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: Granger Report [Re: feagins28] #11720483 07/13/16 03:46 PM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
""I really wanna hang a fang in some crappie"""

that would make a great slogan for a fishing tackle manufacture,.. "hang a fang in some crappie with snakebite crappie jigs""!!!! or 'Hang a fang in big catfish with bulldog hooks.. bites and wont let go.... haha
thumb

Last edited by leanin post; 07/13/16 04:47 PM.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: Granger Report [Re: feagins28] #11720597 07/13/16 04:34 PM
K
koobycrappie Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
It's been tough fishing on Granger since the wind got up around 2 weeks ago.
Got the lake all muddied up and the big fish are hard to find.

Was catching 2 man limits three weeks ago, and just a few small fish.
Yesterday's trip only produced 16 keeps and about 60 dinks.

If it were not for the wind keeping us from fishing 80% of the good piles, I believe we could of had at least 25-30 keepers.

Very unusual for the wind to be blowing like it is this time of year, and it's very frustrating.

Like leanin said, most of the big fish are coming off of small spots that most people can not find, hence less fished.

Granger is a very shallow lake and it fishes very shallow. Generally speaking, with the lake level being normal, most of my fishing will be done from 4-12 ft.

If I had a yak, I would be fishing stumps up the San Gabriel River. I caught a real nice 1.56 crappie up there a couple of days ago in 3-4 ft of water, jigging with a ten foot pro angler rod. Caught a few other nice fish that day as well.
That's where I would go to get away from the wind. thumb

I'm always in a good mood when I'm fishing.
Kevin Kubiak
Lakes Somerville and Granger, crappie guide
512-848-4469
www.hotcrappie.com
pro staff; proanglertackle.com

Re: Granger Report [Re: feagins28] #11721548 07/14/16 01:26 AM
S
SaltyDawg88 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
There are NO fish in Granger....

Managed 39 2 sat ago and 32 last sat..... gotta be able to fish the open water though. Yes, the protected BP's will be over fished and then some! It is an easy lake to fish... If you know it.

I love the wind.. bring it on.... I am one of the few that can fish it with 2-3' swells laugh How many fish I catch depends on how long my TM batteries last. These days its only till 1030. If you do a lot of kayak fish get with one of the guys that does it a lot on Granger (kayakin4crappie). He does really well from his Yak... even with the wind.

***There has to be a fish somewhere needing to be caught!***
SeaPro V2100 CC, 125 Mercury Optimax Offshore
www.GrangerGang.com
Re: Granger Report [Re: SaltyDawg88] #11722392 07/14/16 04:29 PM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted By: SaltyDawg88
There are NO fish in Granger....

Managed 39 2 sat ago and 32 last sat..... gotta be able to fish the open water though. Yes, the protected BP's will be over fished and then some! It is an easy lake to fish... If you know it.

I love the wind.. bring it on.... I am one of the few that can fish it with 2-3' swells laugh How many fish I catch depends on how long my TM batteries last. These days its only till 1030. If you do a lot of kayak fish get with one of the guys that does it a lot on Granger (kayakin4crappie). He does really well from his Yak... even with the wind.

you guys grew up on that lake, so you know things most may never know.
I recall when I was a kid, there was this little lake, (in louisiana we would call a pond), that I used to go fish for perch and later bass when I got my first boat. (a 12 foot aluminum with 3 pounds of fiberglass on the bottom, towed by foot with a homemade cart made with old bicycle wheels and 2x4s.
Many times I would go and there was an old man sitting on the bank, catching perch. He would make a little bouncer rig, with a sinker on the bottom and hook a few inches up.
He always caught fish, so I would study what he was doing. I noticed that he always tried to cast to the same area. One day I asked him, what he thought was special abt that spot, that made the fish want to go there. He told me, I know exactly what is down there, because I walked on it as a kid. The gentleman went on to tell me, that during a bad hurricane, Betsy I believe it was,maybe in the 40s or 50s , the authorities decided to blast the levee on side of the mighty mississippi river, and flood the parish where we were instead of risking flooding the whole port city of new orleans, where most of the population and infrastructure was. . So that is exactly what they did, and that is what had created that pond. Before it was flooded, there was a train route that went across the land, and the train tracks were still there. That is what the old man was fishing, the train tracks. The next time we went swimming in the pond, I swam down to around 12 feet, and found that there were indeed, train tracks on the bottom of the pond.
http://www.nola.com/175years/index.ssf/2012/04/our_times_blasting_mississippi.html

So the point here is there is no substitute for local knowledge, and time on the water.
One of the best spots I have on granger, I later found out is what was an old family cemetary, I think there may be some old large tree trunks down there, maybe some old cement encasements or something but its always good for around 5 keeps. I didnt know that until I saw a cross on an old map, and then verified it with a local guide.
heres an interesting link to the story if anyone wants to read it

Last edited by leanin post; 07/14/16 04:34 PM.

Re: Granger Report [Re: leanin post] #11722520 07/14/16 05:49 PM
S
SaltyDawg88 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted By: leanin post

you guys grew up on that lake, so you know things most may never know.
I recall when I was a kid, there was this little lake, (in louisiana we would call a pond), that I used to go fish for perch and later bass when I got my first boat. (a 12 foot aluminum with 3 pounds of fiberglass on the bottom, towed by foot with a homemade cart made with old bicycle wheels and 2x4s.
Many times I would go and there was an old man sitting on the bank, catching perch. He would make a little bouncer rig, with a sinker on the bottom and hook a few inches up.
He always caught fish, so I would study what he was doing. I noticed that he always tried to cast to the same area. One day I asked him, what he thought was special abt that spot, that made the fish want to go there. He told me, I know exactly what is down there, because I walked on it as a kid. The gentleman went on to tell me, that during a bad hurricane, Betsy I believe it was,maybe in the 40s or 50s , the authorities decided to blast the levee on side of the mighty mississippi river, and flood the parish where we were instead of risking flooding the whole port city of new orleans, where most of the population and infrastructure was. . So that is exactly what they did, and that is what had created that pond. Before it was flooded, there was a train route that went across the land, and the train tracks were still there. That is what the old man was fishing, the train tracks. The next time we went swimming in the pond, I swam down to around 12 feet, and found that there were indeed, train tracks on the bottom of the pond.
http://www.nola.com/175years/index.ssf/2012/04/our_times_blasting_mississippi.html

So the point here is there is no substitute for local knowledge, and time on the water.
One of the best spots I have on granger, I later found out is what was an old family cemetary, I think there may be some old large tree trunks down there, maybe some old cement encasements or something but its always good for around 5 keeps. I didnt know that until I saw a cross on an old map, and then verified it with a local guide.
heres an interesting link to the story if anyone wants to read it

yeah, I have been fishing Granger since it opened with my Dad. He knew and taught me the area well having grown up here. I knew the area on the lake and what was ere and really did not start putting things together till a few years back when I met of Dave (DBman). He taught me how to crappie fish without minnows and connected the dots for me with structure and things I knew about the lake. yeah I know old Allison cemetery.. in some spots you can see on the FF the old grave sites and headstones. There are A LOT of Bp's and structure to fish on it.. prob more than there should be. Luckily nearly all of it holds fish.... even if only a few. My log tells me where and when to fish... started that back in '07. However, with my HB SI I can see which places hold fish and which do not. A few of the guys I have taken out there and given lessons to them I have shown them how to read their FF and how to tell if a spot holds fish. I have seen stumps out there hold a dozen keepers.

So yeah time on the water and local knowledge help greatly. However it you know what you are looking for and can scout via the Navionics Webapp any lake can be sucessfully fished.

***There has to be a fish somewhere needing to be caught!***
SeaPro V2100 CC, 125 Mercury Optimax Offshore
www.GrangerGang.com
Re: Granger Report [Re: feagins28] #11725034 07/15/16 10:30 PM
S
snowyriver6 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
I thought I knew how to catch crappie.....until I went with kooby. Boy he knows the crappie. Wish it wasn't so hot I'd like to go now. Hows the nite fishing there now

Re: Granger Report [Re: feagins28] #11725573 07/16/16 03:42 AM
F
feagins28 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
F
Seems like there is a wealth of information about this lake here and any advice,tips, tricks, etc. you guys have I would really like to learn. I am new to central Texas so I'm still figuring out that waterways here.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide