Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Time to fess up!!! #11720432 07/13/16 03:24 PM
BlueNitro Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
Reading Bobcat's post and Laner's admission from last weekend, I was wondering how many guys would share their story of the launch that went horribly wrong.

Here is mine;

I was fishing alone one morning at Lake Perris (California) so after launching my fairly new boat, I tied it up at the far end of the dock. I went and parked my Suburban/trailer and decided to hit the facilities since there was nobody at the ramp. The facilities were a couple hundred yards from the ramps but I was in no rush. On the walk back to the ramps, I noticed my new boat and how it was shiny and fast looking just tied to the dock. Heck, that sucker looked like it was ready to just shoot out of the hole and race across the lake to my secret spots that were loaded with double digit bass (yeah, I was fishing the 'Dark Side' then). How quickly I went from thinking my boat was a BadA-- to realizing that I was a DumbA-- when I realized that I may have forgot to put the plug in!!!!

I sprinted to the boat and sure enough, the water was filling up the back end of my boat and the back lids were starting to float open.

I figured I had three options -

1) Jump on the boat, turn the bilge on, lay on the deck and try to reach the plug to get it in. My worry was the additional weight of me would send it to bottom of the lake that much quicker.

2) Jump in the lake and try to get the plug in. It was first of the year and I knew the water was about 65 degrees.

3) Start crying like a big baby while hearing 'Taps' in my head followed by kicking my own A-- for doing something so stupid and then finally thinking up a plausible explanation for why my boat sank which did not involve my stupidity for the insurance claim.

Well, I went with option 1 but still had to stick my head and half my torso in the water to be able to reach the plug hole so I guess it was close to option 2 as well. I sat there in my boat soaking wet and freezing for the next 30 minutes waiting for the bilge pump to remove all 10,000 gallons of water so I could go fishing. Other boaters started to show up so I figured I would look less idiotic if I put the boat on the trailer to drain (plus I could sit in a warm truck to stave off the pneumonia that was starting to settle in). Once I got the boat on the trailer and starting to drain, it became clearly evident in my mind the everyone was standing around pointing at me and laughing so I dropped that Burb in drive and just started for the house.

That's when I circled back to Option 3 but not for the insurance claim. I remembered that my wife was at the house and would want to know why I wasn't fishing.

So let's hear what you guys got!!!!!

LiftSaver Trolling Motor Mounting Bracket - Patent Pending and LiftSaver Transducer Pole Mount
www.liftsavertmmount.com
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Works with MG Xi5, Xi3 and MK Terrova, Ulterra, PD V2 and Riptides as well.

Re: Time to fess up!!! [Re: BlueNitro] #11720506 07/13/16 03:57 PM
F
fishinman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Been there done that... And probably more!!

Good fishin'

Re: Time to fess up!!! [Re: fishinman] #11720537 07/13/16 04:11 PM
C
crappieScout Calvin Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
I did the same thing (forgot to put the plug in) at Cedar Creek. I had only had my boat for a month or so. I noticed the boat filling up and asked my wife where was the water coming from? She said I don't know then I thought "Man you forgot to put the plug in" so I reached back and plugged it before it got too bad. I was only in about 6 fow. I too turned on the bilge pump and was off in about 15 minutes. How embarrassing it would have been to sink my new boat in 6 fow. All the while, my wife was wondering why was I tripping.

fish,
Calvin

Happy and Safe Fishing,
crappieScout Calvin
----------------------
Don't Forget Your Sunblock
Re: Time to fess up!!! [Re: crappieScout Calvin] #11720612 07/13/16 04:38 PM
The Crappie Guy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
At a CAT tournament last year, David and I were getting ready to launch my boat. By repetition, we both knew what our responsibility was to do prior to launching. So we get ready (we were in a hurry), I jump in the boat and David get in my truck. I signal him to start backing. He does, but we're not deep enough. bang So I signal to him to back down more. Same thing, I'm not loose of the trailer. realmad So I go up front and yeah, David has released the front hook. thumb So I signal him to go deeper. By this time the rear tailgate on my F250 is touching water but I still can't get loose. soap Then it hits me....I forgot to take the straps off the rear of the boat. Bilge pump time...as I signal him to pull me out. After we get launched and David gets in the boat, he just looks at me, never saying a word....... peep

"The Crappie Guy"

Re: Time to fess up!!! [Re: The Crappie Guy] #11720652 07/13/16 04:55 PM
TexExp Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler

David is the quiet type... lol

Re: Time to fess up!!! [Re: BlueNitro] #11720697 07/13/16 05:10 PM
C
C Worthy Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
C
Oh you guys are just messing around with little stuff. wink In my much younger days, we owned a 25' SeaRay Cuddy Cabin. Loved that boat but to say it was a monster is a understatement. We had an older Motorhome that we would use to pull this thing around with. We were at Lake Limestone at a camp ground that had a private launch. Like Nitro, no one else around. Well backing a 25 footer in with a motorhome is no pretty task but we go it all backed in but we left it on the trailer because my wife decided she had about 200 more things she wanted to get ready and put in the boat. Well after she finally gets finished, like 30-40 min later (still no one at the launch but me) we get out of the motorhome and walk back to the boat to find it completely setting back down on the trailer. It had taken on so much water from me leaving the plug out, that the Dodge 440 engine in low gear wouldn't hardly move it. The whole rear of the boat was under water and with a big block V8 setting right on top of it, it was heavy. We had to get it to move a little, wait for the water to run out, move it again, wait, move..... well you get the idea. Whatever mistakes someone else can do, I can do it bigger. I really thought I was going to have to call a tow truck. Yes, I did hear about it from my wife for years to come. Now we look back and it is just a funny story. NOT THEN THOUGH.

Life is one big playground. Be sure to ride all the rides before it closes.
Re: Time to fess up!!! [Re: BlueNitro] #11720769 07/13/16 05:44 PM
T
TroyKing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
I took my son fishing one evening last year... we were in a hurry to launch the boat and grab some burgers we had called in before the Marina closed. When the boat was launched we picked up the burgers and went fishing...two hours later a storm blows up and we are racing to the launch...lo and behold there is my truck waiting for me at the ramp... I had never parked it. It was still running...fortunately there were two other ramps... All I could do was shake my head and feel stupid.

The driving force and secret desire of every bass fisherman, is to one day be a crappie fisherman............Could it be that the good Lord just smilies and looks the other way when a fisherman tells a lie?
Re: Time to fess up!!! [Re: BlueNitro] #11720786 07/13/16 05:49 PM
D
DavisGuideService Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Ive left the straps on the back before, I was by myself so I kept backing up wondering why I couldnt get it to back into the water, then i realized that the boat and trailer were floating hammer

Davis Guide Service
www.DavisGuide.com
817-983-8750
James Davis
Lake Whitney- Striper-white bass-Crappie
https://www.facebook.com/Davis-Guide-Service-159521764704170/
Mr.Crappie Pro Team
www.mrcrappie.com
Re: Time to fess up!!! [Re: BlueNitro] #11720817 07/13/16 06:03 PM
G
glen6131 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
Been there done that!

Re: Time to fess up!!! [Re: TroyKing] #11720893 07/13/16 06:47 PM
T
texashelms Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted By: TroyKing
I took my son fishing one evening last year... we were in a hurry to launch the boat and grab some burgers we had called in before the Marina closed. When the boat was launched we picked up the burgers and went fishing...two hours later a storm blows up and we are racing to the launch...lo and behold there is my truck waiting for me at the ramp... I had never parked it. It was still running...fortunately there were two other ramps... All I could do was shake my head and feel stupid.

Like a boss!!! Best one yet, lol

Re: Time to fess up!!! [Re: texashelms] #11720902 07/13/16 06:52 PM
BlueNitro Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: texashelms

Yeah, that's a good one but I'm waiting for someone to tell the story of when they launched their boat on a gravel road at least ten miles from the nearest water. If nobody fesses up, I'll tell my story!!!

LiftSaver Trolling Motor Mounting Bracket - Patent Pending and LiftSaver Transducer Pole Mount
www.liftsavertmmount.com

Re: Time to fess up!!! [Re: BlueNitro] #11720904 07/13/16 06:54 PM
BlueNitro Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
Also make sure your pin (yeah, the big one) is in the receiver tube before starting to pull your boat. peep

www.liftsavertmmount.com

Re: Time to fess up!!! [Re: texashelms] #11720924 07/13/16 07:04 PM
TexExp Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler

+1 The winner!
Greatness!

Re: Time to fess up!!! [Re: BlueNitro] #11721086 07/13/16 08:30 PM
S
Slewfoot Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
S
I got the truck into a parking spot about 8-10 years ago at W 515 with a new ranger intercoastal still dragging behind the trailer! Apparantly the winch strap is about 2-3' longer than the trailer! Buddy at the dealership laughed and said we shoulda went crappie fishing! Tore the drain plug out.

Another time launching on a steep icy ramp the mudboat slid off the trailer on the way down. I normally don't undo the bow strap for this reason but my buddy did and I didn't notice. No worries here, slid the boat around hopped in it and it slid on the ice into the water and we went hunting.

Another time same mud boat we were running late to a small W Tx lake and I didn't get to check the water level from the prior hunt there approx a month ago maybe. Blasting through some salt cedars I saw the familiar lone tree that was about 60yds on the other side of the salt cedars where we hunted last trip and mowed em down. When we cleared the salt cedars it looked like Christmas lights in a line! They were soon replaced by a herd of cattle getting outta the way at a high rate of speed! The lake had dropped about 2' since last trip and there were 100 head of cattle between us and the tree! The boat slid about 30yds up dry ground and cows were jumping over the boat! I looked at my buddy and said I guess we will just hunt right here!!! roflmao

Another time in high school maybe we hit a stump in a creek channel on Bistineau we've ran down a million times in a curve doing probably 35-40MPH. It bent the steering rod so we couldn't turn left. Buddy figured it out at the last minute and aimed for the smallest gap in the cypress trees lining the channel. We parked the boat about 4' off the water between some trees. I did a double front flip out the front end and lickily escaped getting skewered by a cypress knee! Some old folks came by in a pontoon shortly after and all the laughing stopped it took 2 of em to pull us back to the water! All the damage the Cajun sustained was the bent steering rod!!

There's probably more but this sight probably doesn't have enough bandwidth. My buddies tell me if I ever want to borrow something and tell them I will treat it like its my own they're gonna run for the hills!!! roflmao

Re: Time to fess up!!! [Re: TexExp] #11721144 07/13/16 08:53 PM
F
Fishing Guide Chad Petrie Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
Originally Posted By: TexExp

+1 The winner!
Greatness!

Beat me too it... For the win!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide