Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
High School Boat Captain? #11718235 07/12/16 01:26 PM
Der Vorsteher Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
What does this entail? School district I work for started a team and approached me to be a boat captain. Anyone else who does this please give me a little info. In would love to help and get any kid that wants to fish a chance to do that.

Team Wolfs
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: High School Boat Captain? [Re: Der Vorsteher] #11718375 07/12/16 02:33 PM
Phoenix_Ed Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
It is a good thing. I have done it on a fill-in basis for the past couple of years when my schedule allowed. Some of the tournaments allow the boat captain to fish, some do not. At no time do your fish count, however occasionally there is a captain's pot.

Double check the insurance requirements to make sure you have enough coverage.

Overall it has been a great experience, good to give back to the kids.

Good luck!

Wishin I was fishin!! ..............>(((//*>
2021 Phoenix 819 - Mercury 200 4 Stroke - Ultrex
Her name is Novia Número Cinco.
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega DI - Helix 12 Mega SI - Mega 360
PB Largemouth - 9.51 - Toledo Bend - March 2014
Re: High School Boat Captain? [Re: Der Vorsteher] #11718430 07/12/16 02:57 PM
F
Frank the Tank Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
^^^^^^^ ditto, it's a lot of fun

Jesus loves all of us
Re: High School Boat Captain? [Re: Der Vorsteher] #11718601 07/12/16 04:37 PM
Der Vorsteher Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
I'm assuming the captain drives the boat but do you man the TM or do they? Do they compensate for gas, etc?

Team Wolfs
Re: High School Boat Captain? [Re: Der Vorsteher] #11718643 07/12/16 04:57 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
Captain drives boat, you or they can run trolling motor, you must have insurance, you must provide life jackets, district we are in gave out 50 gc for gas. Its a good thing, I have reached out to guys in this area and hope more will sign up. You don't have to do all of them. I look at it this way. I have been blessed both financially and with time. I have with ability and opportunity to help. I also believe in karma, if something ever happens to me I hope someone will take my son fishing. Oh, if you are even considering it go ahead and get background checked by school.

Re: High School Boat Captain? [Re: Der Vorsteher] #11718645 07/12/16 04:58 PM
J
Jeezy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
My dad has done it a few times and enjoys it. I'll probably do it in September for a tourney. I did a similar tourney a while back, (church, not high school affiliated), and I was dodging lures all day. Lol. Got hit in the head with a spinner bait and decided since it was a multi species event we would go catfishing instead.

“The more you know about Donald Trump, the less likely you are to vote for him. The more you know about his business enterprises, the less successful he looks. The more you know about his political giving, the less Republican he looks.” - Lindsey Graham, 2016
Re: High School Boat Captain? [Re: Der Vorsteher] #11718787 07/12/16 05:58 PM
T
Txduckhunter Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
T
All the captain info is on the thsba website. Some clubs/kids offer gas money, some dont.
Some of the kids can fish and some have never really fished but are gung-ho and want to learn. Expect to dodge some baits, help pick some backslashes and maybe share some equipment. You'll be frustrated, irritated and proud all in the same day.
Set some ground rules from the beginning with your anglers. They may not have ever been in a boat before and don't know what to do or not do.
I don't fish on tourney days. The thought of catching a fish that they might have caught bothers me too much.
My guys run the trolling motor most of the time. The exception being windy days where they still struggle with fishing and running the motor. On non-tourney days, I let them run the big motor some depending on what lake we are on. (I regard this as a safety issue in case something happens where I could not drive)
It's worth doing. You might have to work through a few things but it's definitely worth it.

Re: High School Boat Captain? [Re: Der Vorsteher] #11718813 07/12/16 06:08 PM
H
HappyNest Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
I have captained a little for the Texas High School BASS Association. This was to assist students in the Mt. Pleasant high school. As Captian I used my boat and took a pair of students (team) to pre-fish and to participate in schedules tournaments. The Captian provides a platform to fish on advise on fishing a tournament and support for the two man team as well as the entire schools team. Typically they will have regularly scheduled meetings designed to educate and organize the group. The Captian maintains $300,000 in boat insurance as well as managing the rules associated with the torunement. This organization has a web site that better explains the club.

Re: High School Boat Captain? [Re: Der Vorsteher] #11718900 07/12/16 06:45 PM
Tim Haugh Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
If you are considering it, I highly recommend it. Of course this is coming from someone who is deeply ingrained in high school fishing as I am entering my 4th year as the president of the THSBA, team advisor for Bullard HS, and boat captain 2 students at Bullard and have helped kids at Keller HS when they didn't have a boat captain for a Lake Lewisville event.
Here is a short take on being a boat captain:
- you must be able to pass a background check (if you have a CHL, you're good)
- you must carry $300,00 liability insurance on your boat and show proof if asked
- you can run the trolling motor or the students can
- in our open events, you can fish and enter the optional captain side pot (1 fish)
- you can net the fish for the students
- you are the only one to run the combustion motor on tournament day
- you can coach, give advice, demonstrate different techniques, etc on tournament day
- you must sign a boat captain waiver form
- you cannot catch fish and give to the students
- you cannot cast or set the hook for the students
- you cannot call any one for advice or fishing info 14 days prior to and including tournament day who IS NOT entered in the tournament
- you can accept reasonable reimbursement for your expenses

Hope this helps. I'm sure there's more I'm not thinking of right now.

Above all, you can make a big impact on a students life by giving of your time. Without the boat captains, high school fishing does not exist.

Thank you for considering being a boat captain.

Tim Haugh

President, Texas High School Bass Association (THSBA)
www.thsba.net
President, Collegiate Bass Trail of Texas (CBTT)
www.collegiatebasstrailoftexas.com
Re: High School Boat Captain? [Re: Der Vorsteher] #11718975 07/12/16 07:16 PM
R
Redfoxone Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Tim, are the tourneys usually on weekends? If so, for those of us with a boat that want to help but work weekends is there anything we can help with during the week?

Re: High School Boat Captain? [Re: Der Vorsteher] #11718996 07/12/16 07:26 PM
Weekender1 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I have been a Captain for 3 years now and Highly recommend that you do. These kids are the future of bass fishing and the sooner they learn how to manage a boat while keeping others around you in mind the better. We all have had days on the lake where someone has crowded us, why not get involved and help the next generation know better early. Also, getting to work with these High School kids has been a wonderful blessing. I am learning as they are.

Tyler Bass Club
LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum
Re: High School Boat Captain? [Re: Txduckhunter] #11719077 07/12/16 08:01 PM
94sktr Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted By: Txduckhunter
All the captain info is on the thsba website. Some clubs/kids offer gas money, some dont.
Some of the kids can fish and some have never really fished but are gung-ho and want to learn. Expect to dodge some baits, help pick some backslashes and maybe share some equipment. You'll be frustrated, irritated and proud all in the same day.
Set some ground rules from the beginning with your anglers. They may not have ever been in a boat before and don't know what to do or not do.
I don't fish on tourney days. The thought of catching a fish that they might have caught bothers me too much.
My guys run the trolling motor most of the time. The exception being windy days where they still struggle with fishing and running the motor. On non-tourney days, I let them run the big motor some depending on what lake we are on. (I regard this as a safety issue in case something happens where I could not drive)
It's worth doing. You might have to work through a few things but it's definitely worth it.

Exactly!

Re: High School Boat Captain? [Re: Weekender1] #11719122 07/12/16 08:25 PM
Kay Dyson Offline
HOT Mess!!!
HOT Mess!!!
Originally Posted By: Weekender
I have been a Captain for 3 years now and Highly recommend that you do. These kids are the future of bass fishing and the sooner they learn how to manage a boat while keeping others around you in mind the better. We all have had days on the lake where someone has crowded us, why not get involved and help the next generation know better early. Also, getting to work with these High School kids has been a wonderful blessing. I am learning as they are.

Jody, you old goodie 2 shoes... LOL..

Seriously------ You guys that participate in the program, are top notch in my book... cheers

Re: High School Boat Captain? [Re: Der Vorsteher] #11719127 07/12/16 08:26 PM
Tim Haugh Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
All of our tournaments are on Saturdays. I appreciate your willingness to help, but with this not being a UIL sport, all or most schools do not let their students miss school to fish except for the official practice day before the championship.

President, Texas High School Bass Association (THSBA)
www.thsba.net
President, Collegiate Bass Trail of Texas (CBTT)
www.collegiatebasstrailoftexas.com
Re: High School Boat Captain? [Re: Tim Haugh] #11719200 07/12/16 09:29 PM
R
Redfoxone Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Originally Posted By: Tim Haugh
All of our tournaments are on Saturdays. I appreciate your willingness to help, but with this not being a UIL sport, all or most schools do not let their students miss school to fish except for the official practice day before the championship.

PM sent

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide