Print Thread
Who has a Accend FS128? #11715481 07/10/16 10:03 PM
M
Mark Ray Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
M
One of my friends really wants one and came to me for advice about them. Since I have never paddled one i turn to tff yaking brothers. Does anybody have one in the dfw area that wouldnt mind meeting up for a little fishing and let my buddy take a little test paddle on your yak?

Re: Who has a Accend FS128? [Re: Mark Ray] #11716642 07/11/16 03:59 PM
R
Rhino68W Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
If he is on Facebook tell him to try out the Ascend Kayak Owners page. He could probably meet up with someone in DFW that has one through there.

Re: Who has a Accend FS128? [Re: Mark Ray] #11716733 07/11/16 04:37 PM
A
AdanV Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
I paddle one. It was bought new in February 2014.
Below is the review that I submitted.

Please note, this is the first version of the FS128T. I bought it because money was tight, but I wanted a kayak with a raised seat and high stability.
The FS128T was the lowest priced one available.

The newer ones have updated & improved features:

I purchased the Ascend FS128T in February of 2014 and have owned it since then. It was purchased mainly because of the large deck space, the stability, and it was the lowest priced kayak that had a raised seat. It was a major upgrade from my first kayak, a Castaway 116. I've paddled the FS128T in bays, marshes, lakes, rivers, bayous, and creeks.
The best thing about the FS128T is the stability. I have been in bays where the wind rose up to 20 knots unexpectedly and I was in 1-2 foot waves. Although I was being rocked around while paddling back to shore, I did not get close to capsizing. On days where the wind is calm, I can stand on it for easy sight casting (although it takes a little practice to stand with confidence). Another great thing was the comfort of the raised seat. It is very comfortable to sit on it for several hours. The option to raise/lower your seat is great as it allows you to adjust based on your height. You can also swivel the seat around while sitting if you want to cool your legs in the water. The fact that it also came with an anchor trolley was a bonus. It is very easy to operate. You also have a lot of deck space both in front and back where you can tie down 2 coolers or other gear.

The worst thing about the FS128T is the handling. Because of the hull design, it handles more like a boat. It can be a chore to make +90 degree turns. It also takes a bit of work to get your forward momentum going. However, since I use this kayak for fishing, I spend more time fishing than paddling. Another negative part is the construction of the forward deck space. Some of the forward deck scupper holes are actually 1/8" HIGHER than the overall deck, making them unable to fully drain any water that splashes onto the forward deck. One last negative part are the bow and stern hatches. Unfortunately, these hatches are the 'screw cap lid' type where you must turn clockwise/counter-clockwise to open/close. If you don't have it aligned properly, it wont close correctly and you have little room for error. On top of that, there's nothing on the lid to grab on to when you're trying to remove it. I had to buy 2 small handles and install them on the lids so I can remove them.

Overall, I gave it an 7 out of 10. Sure, there were much better kayaks out there. If I were in the same situation again, I would likely buy it again if the newer versions have made some improvements.

Re: Who has a Accend FS128? [Re: Mark Ray] #11717254 07/11/16 08:56 PM
F
feagins28 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
Everyone's experience differs honestly, but I ran into some shady dealings with the guys at Bass Pro Shops in Round Rock. I really wanted the 2016 version of the FS128T, but the location here didn't have anymore and were trying to push the older ones out. I had researched tons of different kayaks and this was the one that fit what I was looking for so even though it wasn't the newest version I bought it. First time out the thing took on like 3-4 gallons of water. I got home and tested out oiut to find out there were major holes in the hull. Scupper Holes weren't fully sealed and the aft hull had a dime sized hole. When I took it back I was given about an hour of back and forth about how they couldn't replace it and it was the old model that is out of manufacturing... Etc...etc.. Finally, after nearly blowing a head gasket the manager came and exchanged it for the newer models now fully in stock and I had to pauy the 50 dollar difference. Havent had a issue yet, and really enjoying the newer yak. Make sure your friend gets the newest one if he is gomnna go for it! Its a nice yak, but the experience buying it was less than desirable.

Re: Who has a Accend FS128? [Re: feagins28] #11717259 07/11/16 08:58 PM
R
Rhino68W Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: feagins28
Everyone's experience differs honestly, but I ran into some shady dealings with the guys at Bass Pro Shops in Round Rock. I really wanted the 2016 version of the FS128T, but the location here didn't have anymore and were trying to push the older ones out. I had researched tons of different kayaks and this was the one that fit what I was looking for so even though it wasn't the newest version I bought it. First time out the thing took on like 3-4 gallons of water. I got home and tested out oiut to find out there were major holes in the hull. Scupper Holes weren't fully sealed and the aft hull had a dime sized hole. When I took it back I was given about an hour of back and forth about how they couldn't replace it and it was the old model that is out of manufacturing... Etc...etc.. Finally, after nearly blowing a head gasket the manager came and exchanged it for the newer models now fully in stock and I had to pauy the 50 dollar difference. Havent had a issue yet, and really enjoying the newer yak. Make sure your friend gets the newest one if he is gomnna go for it! Its a nice yak, but the experience buying it was less than desirable.

To add to this good advice, the serial number ends in the model year it is 15 = 2015 16 = 2016 ect...And make sure he checks the seat box too.

Re: Who has a Accend FS128? [Re: Mark Ray] #11722633 07/14/16 06:50 PM
J
joebeasley Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
I've had the FS128T for three years. (06/13) Easy to paddle, but heavy. The newer models have raised the hatch areas, so you won't have to worry about water getting in.

I find it very easy to paddle, and it takes very little effort to get it going.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide