Print Thread
Artificials for Port A Pier Fishing #11707158 07/06/16 02:48 PM
B
BSully1983 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Extended from a previous post- I think @Troutsupport talked me into a Daiwa Ballistic EX. Unsure if I'll be getting the 2500 or 3000. Looks like a great reel. Will be using it on a ML/F 7' rod along with my Battle II 4000 on a MH/F 7' rod. Will be using each rod for different presentations, of course. I'd like to restock the tackle box with different artificials and lures. I'll be fishing from Channel View Condo's pier, Horace Caldwell Pier and Charlie's Pasture pier. A member on another forum suggested I take the ferry across the shipping channel and walk 2 miles up the shore- I might end up trying that as well. Which lures (weights, colors) and artificials (Gulp, DOA, etc.) would you bring with you? This will be in late September/early October. I'll be targeting reds, trout, pretty much anything worth catching that time of year.

Last edited by BSully1983; 07/06/16 02:56 PM.
Re: Artificials for Port A Pier Fishing [Re: BSully1983] #11712918 07/09/16 01:19 AM
B
BSully1983 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Looks like it'll just be Gulp and DOA shrimp. I'll probably use mullet heads and dead shrimp far out on Horace Caldwell.

Re: Artificials for Port A Pier Fishing [Re: BSully1983] #11713141 07/09/16 03:11 AM
O
outdoorsman916 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
O
The reds should be there by the time you are going. Not so much trout. Cut mullet will get you bull reds and the occasional black drum. I've never caught trout down there around that time but there may be a chance. I would use a super spook in the morning.

Re: Artificials for Port A Pier Fishing [Re: BSully1983] #11713406 07/09/16 01:59 PM
G
Grinder55 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
I target & catch trout year round. Sure reds will be on the move, but trout gotta eat as well.

Plum/Chartreuse SW Bass Assassins are my year round 'go to' soft plastic for trout, reds and flounder when wade or drift fishing.

Re: Artificials for Port A Pier Fishing [Re: outdoorsman916] #11713725 07/09/16 06:18 PM
B
BSully1983 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Originally Posted By: outdoorsman916
The reds should be there by the time you are going. Not so much trout. Cut mullet will get you bull reds and the occasional black drum. I've never caught trout down there around that time but there may be a chance. I would use a super spook in the morning.

Which Super Spook size/colors would you recommend? I imagine morning fishing you'd want something not too bright and not too dark. Also, are the saltwater Spooks good enough without needing to be upgraded (split rings/hooks)?

Re: Artificials for Port A Pier Fishing [Re: Grinder55] #11713732 07/09/16 06:20 PM
B
BSully1983 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Originally Posted By: Grinder55
I target & catch trout year round. Sure reds will be on the move, but trout gotta eat as well.

Plum/Chartreuse SW Bass Assassins are my year round 'go to' soft plastic for trout, reds and flounder when wade or drift fishing.

There are many options for the Saltwater Bass Assassins. Could you provide a link to Bass Pro Shops as to which one you use? Do you use different sizes? Do you jig them? Etc, etc.

Re: Artificials for Port A Pier Fishing [Re: BSully1983] #11714665 07/10/16 11:44 AM
L
Lindsey Offline
Angler
Angler
L
For me, late September and early October has always been about live mullet and pinfish on a threeway rig on a strong incoming tide. No matter where you are, redfish hammer that rig. For topwater schooling action, a Top Pup Jr. in bone or chrome is the ticket. Work it slowly if you're not all over them. 4" Gulp Shrimp under a popping cork will get you bit too. There are monster trout in the surf this time of year too. Big live whiting and mullet is the way to go. Live shrimp doesn't seem to be as productive this time of year.

I'm not a chick.
Re: Artificials for Port A Pier Fishing [Re: BSully1983] #11715008 07/10/16 04:21 PM
_
_Scooter_ Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
_
Any time I go to port Aransas, I always have a few staple items in my arsenal:

Gulp and DOA Shrimp and popping corks are my #1 trout producer. Hands down. I like the Cajun Thunder and Bomber Paradise Popper the best.

I also have a healthy compliment of topwater plugs like super spook jr's, Heddon Spook One Knockers, Bomber Badonk-a-donks, and Rapala skitter walks in Bone, Chrome, Chrome/Pink, Bone/Chartreuse, and Black/Chartreuse. Watch your hooks on the big fish, the trebles bend pretty easy.

Where would we be without Corkies? I have Paul Brown Fat Boys, Soft Dines, and Originals in a few different colors. Big Trout seem to truly hate these lures, so hang on tight.

Mirrolures like the Catch 2000 and the Mirrodine in the same colors as your topwater plugs also work great for trout and reds that won't commit to a surface plug.

Soft plastics work great, too. I am a big believer in Down South Lures in Plum/Chartreuse, Texas Roach, and Black/Chartreuse. TTF makes a Trout Killer (fluke-style) that works pretty well too. You can really go crazy buying all kinds of plastics.

Under the lights, I find that the 1/8oz H&H Killer Shad GLO rigs work amazing. If you can't catch trout on that rig under a particular light, keep moving to the next light until you score.

For the surf, jetties and piers, fishfinder and double drop rigs with FishBites, Cut Mullet, and Cut Pinfish will land you just about anything that swims- but bring lots of bait with you 'cause the hardheads, gafftop, rays and baby sharks will keep you real busy in between black drum, sheepshead and reds. You should not have to buy mullet... ever. Learn to throw a cast net and hit the surf in the morning. Catch enough to cut up and freeze them.

I also don't go anywhere without spoons & Jigs. Kastmasters, Johnson Weedless, Sprites, Gotcha plugs, and bucktails serve well on the Port A jetty and surf when the fish are busting bait.

Rock Bottom!
Re: Artificials for Port A Pier Fishing [Re: _Scooter_] #11715265 07/10/16 07:12 PM
B
BSully1983 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Originally Posted By: _Scooter_
Any time I go to port Aransas, I always have a few staple items in my arsenal:

Gulp and DOA Shrimp and popping corks are my #1 trout producer. Hands down. I like the Cajun Thunder and Bomber Paradise Popper the best.

I also have a healthy compliment of topwater plugs like super spook jr's, Heddon Spook One Knockers, Bomber Badonk-a-donks, and Rapala skitter walks in Bone, Chrome, Chrome/Pink, Bone/Chartreuse, and Black/Chartreuse. Watch your hooks on the big fish, the trebles bend pretty easy.

Where would we be without Corkies? I have Paul Brown Fat Boys, Soft Dines, and Originals in a few different colors. Big Trout seem to truly hate these lures, so hang on tight.

Mirrolures like the Catch 2000 and the Mirrodine in the same colors as your topwater plugs also work great for trout and reds that won't commit to a surface plug.

Soft plastics work great, too. I am a big believer in Down South Lures in Plum/Chartreuse, Texas Roach, and Black/Chartreuse. TTF makes a Trout Killer (fluke-style) that works pretty well too. You can really go crazy buying all kinds of plastics.

Under the lights, I find that the 1/8oz H&H Killer Shad GLO rigs work amazing. If you can't catch trout on that rig under a particular light, keep moving to the next light until you score.

For the surf, jetties and piers, fishfinder and double drop rigs with FishBites, Cut Mullet, and Cut Pinfish will land you just about anything that swims- but bring lots of bait with you 'cause the hardheads, gafftop, rays and baby sharks will keep you real busy in between black drum, sheepshead and reds. You should not have to buy mullet... ever. Learn to throw a cast net and hit the surf in the morning. Catch enough to cut up and freeze them.

I also don't go anywhere without spoons & Jigs. Kastmasters, Johnson Weedless, Sprites, Gotcha plugs, and bucktails serve well on the Port A jetty and surf when the fish are busting bait.

Thanks for your in-depth knowledge! I'll pick up some of everything you listed. Here goes a $1500 trip to BPS 😂

Re: Artificials for Port A Pier Fishing [Re: BSully1983] #11715288 07/10/16 07:31 PM
E
eyeball Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E
Lindsay, what type sinker would you use on the thredwzy, please.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.

Teach a man to fish, he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer.
Re: Artificials for Port A Pier Fishing [Re: BSully1983] #11715352 07/10/16 08:26 PM
_
_Scooter_ Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
_
Really shouldn't cost you that much. 2 or 3 of each category and you're well stocked. The must-haves are the Super Spook Jr's, the Catch 2000, and the DOA/Cork rigs. The rest is just stuff that sometimes works when it gets tough and fish don't want to bite. Don't skimp on the live bait rigs at all. Those are a day-saver if nothing else works.

Rock Bottom!
Re: Artificials for Port A Pier Fishing [Re: BSully1983] #11716077 07/11/16 05:06 AM
L
Lindsey Offline
Angler
Angler
L
Eyeball-a 1 oz. pyramid. Make your leader line to your hook 2-3x longer than your leader line to your sinker. I like to put this rig in the rod holder and fan-cast topwater as my search bait. If you get a strike on the topwater but they're not hitting the threeway rig, cast to the spot where you got your strike. It's been my experience that schools will hover in one spot until they're forced to move, and catching them on a topwater seems to get them roaming around and feeding again. It's easy to limit quickly when as you're reeling in a fish and you hook up on the bottom rig, reel both fish in, and re-deploy the bottom rig while you cast to the school.

I'm not a chick.
Re: Artificials for Port A Pier Fishing [Re: BSully1983] #11717320 07/11/16 09:38 PM
S
scott01 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
I've had a LOT of luck in Sept/Oct fishing the jetties on an out-going tide (usually fish within 100 yards of the end to the end). Large spoons (5"-7") work great. I also catch a lot of bull reds on Storm swimbaits in mullet color, 1 oz head. I throw them more or less "upstream" as far as I can and allow them to sink while moving along in the out-going current, reeling just fast enough to keep the line semi-tight, then reel in before it sinks and hangs in the rocks, repeat. Those bull reds will knock the fire out of those, lol. The above mentioned baits are great as well. Good luck. Sept/Oct is great as the weather can be slightly cooler and the vacation crowd is gone.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide