Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: bad fish care [Re: fouzman] #11717114 07/11/16 07:28 PM
J
Jeezy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted By: fouzman
Looking at the results, there were 105 fish weighed, 104 live fish released. TPWD has done more than one study documenting post-release mortality in largemouth bass caught during tournaments. Mortality is >30%. 104 x 30% = 31.2 fish. I'd say the loss you witnessed is about normal.

No amount of good fish care and handling is going to eliminate fish loss, especially during this time of year. Tournaments love to tout their weigh/ live release ratios because it gives the false impression that the organizations are protecting our resource. Quietly, they probably could have told you at the scales which fish would make it and which would float within 24 hours. 104 released out of 105 looks great on paper but, when it's really more like 74 out of 105 that survive, no one wants to talk about that publicly.

In the big scheme of things, 30% was nothing since they could have legally kept all 105 bass. But if we want to truly protect the resource and cut down on fish loss, quit fishing tournaments in the dead of summer.

Made my point much better than I could make it.

โ€œThe more you know about Donald Trump, the less likely you are to vote for him. The more you know about his business enterprises, the less successful he looks. The more you know about his political giving, the less Republican he looks.โ€ - Lindsey Graham, 2016
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: bad fish care [Re: elkhartdom] #11717128 07/11/16 07:38 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
All the fish care in the world isn't going to help bass being dumped into shallow warm water. If they get disoriented and stay for any length of time like they normally do, they are going to die. It also depends on the TD's tank set up. I've seen many of them have hot water out in the sun.

Re: bad fish care [Re: Jeezy] #11717201 07/11/16 08:25 PM
E
elkhartdom Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
E
Originally Posted By: CoachCBA
Originally Posted By: elkhartdom
its that time of year again, when we really all need to start thinking about good fish care, and I have an example from Sat/Sun
yesterday "Saturday" after fishing at Palestine, during a major tournament, things were looking pretty good. This morning "sunday" fishing from the villages where the major had been held, my club members and I counted over 20 DEAD bass in the marina proper, from 3 to 6 lbs each.
Now I don't blame the tourney or its people, I blame the people who came in with either stressed or dead fish that were put back in at the villages.
We all need to start treating these fish as a resourse, just think of all the babys now that will not be made by those great fish that were thrown back either so stressed they died, or were already dead. Thankfully tpw stocks blacks, a loss like that in a state like California, would be devastating to a lake as they no longer stock black bass.
Put some additive in your livewells people, add some ice if its over 85 degree water temp, lets keep these great fish we all love to catch alive for as long as possible. Our lakes can be depleated to a point where bass are no longer available for us to catch.

Sorry this is my rant for the week, but it just made me sick seeing all those beautys dead at the marina at the villages.

I guess I'm maybe not understanding this post completely. I thought you meant after the weigh-in on Saturday things looked fine, then Sunday morning there were floaters.

I was not in that tourney, but we launched at the villages, and when we came in at 320 they were just starting there weigh in, so we didn't see any floaters at that time.
To help the fish, we actually did 2 weigh ins, at 10:30 and 3:30. That was so they didn't have to spend all day in the live wells. Actually Calif has the right idea, all bass tournaments between June 1 and Sept 1 are limited to a 6 hour tourney. Might not be too bad an idea for all states.

at the sound of my name, fish tremble
HI HO SILVER AWAY!!!ranger Z521,250 sho,black and silver
TD: BMET 6263
http://theboatcentertx.com
bmoet@facebook
"I humble myself before God, there the list ends" Sam Houston
Re: bad fish care [Re: elkhartdom] #11717203 07/11/16 08:29 PM
F
Frank the Tank Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F

Jesus loves all of us
Re: bad fish care [Re: elkhartdom] #11717205 07/11/16 08:29 PM
F
Frank the Tank Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
popcorn

Jesus loves all of us
Re: bad fish care [Re: elkhartdom] #11717231 07/11/16 08:43 PM
W
WAWI Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
W
I sense a train wreck about to happen.

Re: bad fish care [Re: elkhartdom] #11717260 07/11/16 08:58 PM
J
Jeezy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted By: CoachCBA
its that time of year again, when we really all need to start thinking about good fish care, and I have an example from Sat/Sun
yesterday "Saturday" after fishing at Palestine, during a major tournament, things were looking pretty good. This morning "sunday" fishing from the villages where the major had been held, my club members and I counted over 20 DEAD bass in the marina proper, from 3 to 6 lbs each.
Now I don't blame the tourney or its people, I blame the people who came in with either stressed or dead fish that were put back in at the villages.
We all need to start treating these fish as a resourse, just think of all the babys now that will not be made by those great fish that were thrown back either so stressed they died, or were already dead. Thankfully tpw stocks blacks, a loss like that in a state like California, would be devastating to a lake as they no longer stock black bass.
Put some additive in your livewells people, add some ice if its over 85 degree water temp, lets keep these great fish we all love to catch alive for as long as possible. Our lakes can be depleated to a point where bass are no longer available for us to catch.

Sorry this is my rant for the week, but it just made me sick seeing all those beautys dead at the marina at the villages.

I guess I'm maybe not understanding this post completely. I thought you meant after the weigh-in on Saturday things looked fine, then Sunday morning there were floaters.

I was not in that tourney, but we launched at the villages, and when we came in at 320 they were just starting there weigh in, so we didn't see any floaters at that time.
To help the fish, we actually did 2 weigh ins, at 10:30 and 3:30. That was so they didn't have to spend all day in the live wells. Actually Calif has the right idea, all bass tournaments between June 1 and Sept 1 are limited to a 6 hour tourney. Might not be too bad an idea for all states.

Gotcha.

That's what our club does in the summer, though I'll admit it's more because we don't want to be in the heat all day.

โ€œThe more you know about Donald Trump, the less likely you are to vote for him. The more you know about his business enterprises, the less successful he looks. The more you know about his political giving, the less Republican he looks.โ€ - Lindsey Graham, 2016
Re: bad fish care [Re: elkhartdom] #11717291 07/11/16 09:18 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
Or go to 3 fish limits

Re: bad fish care [Re: elkhartdom] #11717322 07/11/16 09:39 PM
H
Hobbs McAvoy Offline
Angler
Angler
H
I saw the tourney photos yesterday and my first thought was there were going to be a lot of dead fish floating in the marina. I'm not doubting the 104 were alive when weighed but it sure looked like some were taking their last gasps. It is what it is. I am in favor of keeping and eating the ones that don't look like they will survive. It was obvious from the photos that some were done. July, August and usually half of September is probably not a good idea to have bass tourneys in Texas. JMO

Re: bad fish care [Re: elkhartdom] #11717358 07/11/16 09:58 PM
B
Bass Buster1 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Or...stop having so many dang tournaments(believe it or not you can have fun fishing when not in a tournament or pre fishing for a tournament) or have a fish fry with all legally caught fish.

See you on the lake and have a great day!
Re: bad fish care [Re: Jarrett Latta] #11717418 07/11/16 10:45 PM
N
Neches Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N
Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
All the fish care in the world isn't going to help bass being dumped into shallow warm water. If they get disoriented and stay for any length of time like they normally do, they are going to die. It also depends on the TD's tank set up. I've seen many of them have hot water out in the sun.

I never have liked to see tournament fish being released in the Villages marina, it only takes a few more steps and to be careful on the rocks and turn them loose on the lake side of the marina. I think a stressed fish will have a better chance of making it in the main lake where they can go down to cooler water and maybe overcome their problems.

Re: bad fish care [Re: elkhartdom] #11717483 07/11/16 11:30 PM
Neal G Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I fished a very small team tournament with 24 boats on Rayburn this past Saturday. 15 bass were weighed in dead. Another tournament guy was helping me by holding my weigh in bag as I pumped the livewell out - he then makes a comment that my "water was cool" as the livewell water was being pumped out and into the bag at 3:45 PM. Nice guy - but he asked why. I do not know the guy and I may have interpreted him wrong but my guess is that they were not cooling the livewell water down on his boat.

I guess what I am saying is that there needs to be more motivation to learn how and to keep the fish alive during the hot weather months. One way to do so would be to have much stiffer penalties for weighing in dead bass and some sort of spelled out criteria for the TDs during the weigh in process and post weighing fish handling.

I understand that some fish will die regardless but there is clearly room for improvement. Ice is cheap in comparison to boats, lodging, gas and entry fees.

Re: bad fish care [Re: elkhartdom] #11717537 07/12/16 12:07 AM
JG ZX250 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Why don't all those concerned start self policing the weigh in. You got a cell phone, so just take a video of the people releasing the dead fish, and then give it to the game warden so they can write some fines for game waste.

Taking 5 to the weigh-in occurs when opportunity meets successful execution of one's preparation.
Re: bad fish care [Re: Bass Buster1] #11717678 07/12/16 01:23 AM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Originally Posted By: Bass Buster1
Or...stop having so many dang tournaments(believe it or not you can have fun fishing when not in a tournament or pre fishing for a tournament) or have a fish fry with all legally caught fish.

Will never happen as long as money is involved. I'd guess tournaments are the only reason about 1/4-1/2 of the people fish.

Re: bad fish care [Re: elkhartdom] #11717693 07/12/16 01:28 AM
R
Redfoxone Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Or until the GW's starts enforcing the waste of fish law.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide