Page 1 of 2 1 2
The Internet and its impact on Bass Tournaments #11715537 07/10/16 10:29 PM
C
Cowboy Church Bass Club Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
C
I got my first home computer and internet access in 1998 and I my first smart phone in 2010.

B4 the Texas Fishing Forum, B4 bass clubs and the "for profit tournaments" had websites and fb pages, what do you think the numbers were then versus now?

Focus on a 1 year time frame. I guess use 1996 as the year B4 the internet was popular and use 2015 as the year after the internet. Post your numbers only for Texas.

How many tournaments do you think there were just B4 the internet became popular?
How many tournaments do you think there are now per year?

How many tournament anglers do you think there were B4 the internet?
How many tournament anglers do you think there are now?

How many lakes had tournaments middle of the week tournaments (working man's tournaments) B4 the internet?
How many lakes have tournaments in the middle of the week now?

What year did the Texas Fishing Forum start?

When do you think bass clubs first started building websites on the internet?

Do you think the number of members in clubs has increased or decreased since the internet became popular? What I am getting at here is if clubs have increased and there are now more choices, has that diluted club memberships?

What were the top 10 bass clubs in 1996?

If you can remember back 20 years ago, tell us what you think.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: The Internet and its impact on Bass Tournaments [Re: Cowboy Church Bass Club] #11715566 07/10/16 10:55 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
B4 I tell you....fix the computer/text spellings. It gave me a headache B4 the first paragraph.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: The Internet and its impact on Bass Tournaments [Re: Cowboy Church Bass Club] #11715649 07/11/16 12:04 AM
Donald Harper Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
I still don't have a smart phone. I have watched many fishing clubs go down in numbers; just don't know what the internet has to do with that. I believe more choices and other things to do besides fishing has caused the drop in membership as well as participation.

Out west the Permian Bass Club had over 300 members 30 years ago. Not even half that now. Participation was over 100 boats; now lucky to put 50 on the water. Many good fisherman seeking to win bigger bucks has hurt club memberships.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: The Internet and its impact on Bass Tournaments [Re: Cowboy Church Bass Club] #11715741 07/11/16 01:10 AM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
Less clubs more tournaments now. Electronics have changed the game

Re: The Internet and its impact on Bass Tournaments [Re: Cowboy Church Bass Club] #11715901 07/11/16 02:34 AM
C
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
C

When I was young, all we had was the Dallas Morning News to inform us who was fishing when and where.

The first real bass tournament I fished in was sponsored by Gudebrod Tackle on Lake Whitney in 1978 at Redwood Lodge. I still display that trophy. I found out about the tournament in the Dallas Morning News.

I am just curious how the internet has changed the tournament scene over the last 20 years. I could be way off, but I am speculating that information is increasing the sport's participation. I have nothing to backup the theory so any comment is good. Some of you old timers might have a totally different perspective.....your insight would make for some good reading.

I will say that this place is really good when you want to see who you will be sharing the lake with.
http://www.basstournamentfinder.com/

Re: The Internet and its impact on Bass Tournaments [Re: SteezMacQueen] #11715939 07/11/16 02:55 AM
C
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
C
Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
B4 I tell you....fix the computer/text spellings. It gave me a headache B4 the first paragraph.

Ha Steez,
Advil might help!

I know I suck at writing.....it was never one of my talents. If you see something obvious, point it out and I will try and fix it!

Re: The Internet and its impact on Bass Tournaments [Re: Donald Harper] #11715950 07/11/16 03:04 AM
C
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
C

Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
I still don't have a smart phone. I have watched many fishing clubs go down in numbers; just don't know what the internet has to do with that. I believe more choices and other things to do besides fishing has caused the drop in membership as well as participation.

Out west the Permian Bass Club had over 300 members 30 years ago. Not even half that now. Participation was over 100 boats; now lucky to put 50 on the water. Many good fisherman seeking to win bigger bucks has hurt club memberships.

Great insight Donald!

I have heard there was some big clubs in the past that have dwindled down in the DFW area. I am not sure if the Media and Bass Champs have pulled members away with more $ or there are just more choices now, or the lakes in West Texas have simply dried up.

I wonder if Tackle companies have done studies on this working with marketing firms?

Re: The Internet and its impact on Bass Tournaments [Re: Cowboy Church Bass Club] #11716004 07/11/16 03:46 AM
S
SoCal Tom Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
In the case of RHBC, this Forum and our web site in my opinion have driven membership way up. When I joined in 2008, RHBC had 32 members. Right now, we are at 140. Yesterday at Ray Hubbard we had 46 boats fish our tournament, a new record for us. I make sure I post all our goings on and results here (probably drive some of you nuts with it...) but it has gotten us on the radar of a lot of fisherman in the area.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

http://www.rayhubbardbassclub.com
President

Save the Date! 9th annual FFAC - Sunday October 27th, 2024 - Lake Ray Hubbard!
Re: The Internet and its impact on Bass Tournaments [Re: Cowboy Church Bass Club] #11716060 07/11/16 04:36 AM
S
Squirrely Dan Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
It seems there is more now but with hectic lifestyles anglers tend to more pick and choose specific tourneys now and not so much fish a full tourney club season imo. The big money tournys draws a lot but I know with me it's hard to commit a to a schedule with all my kids have going on so I try to pick ones close to home or when kids have weekend when they don't have a sport going. So internet definitely helps or I prob wouldn't have a clue.

Fully sponsored by my mom
Re: The Internet and its impact on Bass Tournaments [Re: Cowboy Church Bass Club] #11716141 07/11/16 11:21 AM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: Cowboy Church Bass Club
Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Ha Steez,
Advil might help!

I know I suck at writing.....it was never one of my talents. If you see something obvious, point it out and I will try and fix it!

Glad you had a sense of humor. It was my play on "how the internet impacts fishing". Lol.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: The Internet and its impact on Bass Tournaments [Re: Cowboy Church Bass Club] #11716225 07/11/16 12:38 PM
Mudshark Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
The internet allows me to tell the world how awesome I am at fishing, not just my co-workers like it used to be.

[Linked Image]

Re: The Internet and its impact on Bass Tournaments [Re: Mudshark] #11716236 07/11/16 12:46 PM
S
SoCal Tom Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: Mudshark
The internet allows me to tell the world how awesome I am at fishing, not just my co-workers like it used to be.

Genius roflmao

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

http://www.rayhubbardbassclub.com
President

Save the Date! 9th annual FFAC - Sunday October 27th, 2024 - Lake Ray Hubbard!
Re: The Internet and its impact on Bass Tournaments [Re: SoCal Tom] #11716249 07/11/16 12:55 PM
S
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: SoCal Tom
Originally Posted By: Mudshark

Genius roflmao

According to the "TFF Survey", the average bass angler is too wealthy to work, so they have no "co-workers".

Obviously that isn't me. I'm sitting in my truck at work....waiting for 8am. Lol. Wishing I was fishing.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: The Internet and its impact on Bass Tournaments [Re: Cowboy Church Bass Club] #11716301 07/11/16 01:32 PM
9094 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Of course the Internet has caused an increase in open tournament participation. Before the Internet the only affordable way to advertise an event was o put flyers up at local stores and pay a kid to put them on windshields. Now thousands of people see the info every day.
As far as bass clubs I don't think the Internet has been their demise. Most clubs I've been in fell apart due to infighting, lack of a place to meet, or the members splitting off and starting their own clubs.
I quit fishing in club tournaments when they started becoming so serious and no one had any fun. Nobody shared any info and you would think most of the guys were trying to make a living winning a club tournament.
I know there are a few fun ones around where they have fish fries, bar b q picnics, family days.

Re: The Internet and its impact on Bass Tournaments [Re: Cowboy Church Bass Club] #11716368 07/11/16 02:03 PM
Texascajun69 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I agree 9094. I moved to Waco in 2005 and being new to central Texas I joined a Local Bass Club hoping to learn about the local lakes, what the bass preferred and any new tricks. That didn't happen. There was so much competition one club member whose house backed up to mine once would not even tell me how to get to the ramp where we were holding a tournament. In the bass clubs I belonged to in La. and in Houston, it was very common after the tournament for the winner to tell everyone what, where and how he caught the winning stringer.

There was also a lot of in-fighting in the club, some very questionable stringers weighed in, and everything was about the money. And speaking of the money I think that is the biggest downfall of most bass clubs. When trophies or plaques were given out people fished for the love of the sport and the competition. When prize money came into play it stop being a sport and became a business.

John K Fontenot
Diapers and Politicians need to be changed often; and for the same reason.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide