Forums59
Topics1,038,957
Posts13,956,435
Members144,184
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: The Internet and its impact on Bass Tournaments [Re: Cowboy Church Bass Club] #11716395 07/11/16 02:17 PM
Mark Jones Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I can't speak to any of the numbers from the past but Bass Clubs are a unique animal in our space. In 2008/09, I met with 15+ different bass clubs in and around DFW on a regular basis and learned a lot over those two years. There are some very successful clubs around and I would guess it's just like anything else that the ones that can manage people, schedules, events and internal issues the best tend to thrive. They have the same issues as most other organizations in fishing. In the recent TFF survey they were the second largest type of tournament that anglers participate in, so their numbers must be pretty good.

There's no doubt in my mind there are more people participating today in all forms of bass fishing and all the social and digital platforms certainly help reach the masses.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: The Internet and its impact on Bass Tournaments [Re: Cowboy Church Bass Club] #11716486 07/11/16 03:00 PM
B
Big Kev Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
We are in the information age, good, bad or otherwise. I can only speak from my perspective. In 1996 I graduated high school. While I desperately wanted to do as much bass fishing as possible I did not have the means necessary to buy a boat and head to Sam Rayburn. I did not even know what a bass club was or realize there were local bass tournaments. If I did my priorities would have shifted. My friends and I would bass fish any where we could. We even had little tournaments among-st our selves. It was not until I bought my first computer (2002) that I figured out you can fish local tournaments. I always thought that was for the big boys in BASS. Now at the young age of 38 I fish all the time (depending on work load and kids schedules). I take my 4 year old out when the weather is not to harsh. It is only a matter of time before the 5 month old gets out in the boat with us. Long story short it is my opinion the internet has made tournament fishing more accessible to people like me. I am not in a bass club and odds are I would not have been even with out the information age. I am a bit of a workaholic and did not have time to commit to a schedule before kids and absolutely not with kids. But I am now able to "cherry pick" which tournaments I donate to. Heck I even fish a little monthly online tournament. I am bound and determined to figure out how start cashing checks on a regular basis. I know I am not the only one out there with this story......

Re: The Internet and its impact on Bass Tournaments [Re: Cowboy Church Bass Club] #11717142 07/11/16 07:45 PM
M
mikey6345 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
I was out on Caddo on Saturday and there were two tournaments going on (that I was aware of anyway) and there were definitely different boater attitudes based on the tournament. I spoke with guys on two boats fishing a non-club open type deal and they were serious. I found it kind of humorous and sad at the same time. One boat told me they were going to fish this one stretch we were all near for the entire day waiting for the fish to turn on. Doesn't sound like much fun to me.

The other boat I talked with in another location was fishing a club tournament and they were much more friendly and fun to chat with. One of them yanked a fish out of a spot I has been hitting just five minutes before and we were laughing about it. I told them that was my fish and they said I could have it because it was a slot fish and they couldn't weigh it. It was a fun interaction and if others in that club were like them that is probably a fun group.

I know a lot of guys on here tournament fish but when it gets to be as serious as those first guys seemed to make it feel like it it still fun? It is just fishing.

Maybe the internet has helped get more folks into fishing but only for the competitive aspect more than the fun of it.

Yes I am sure I sound like a grumpy old man.

Re: The Internet and its impact on Bass Tournaments [Re: Mark Jones] #11717411 07/11/16 10:37 PM
C
Cowboy Church Bass Club Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
C
Originally Posted By: Mark Jones
I can't speak to any of the numbers from the past but Bass Clubs are a unique animal in our space. In 2008/09, I met with 15+ different bass clubs in and around DFW on a regular basis and learned a lot over those two years. There are some very successful clubs around and I would guess it's just like anything else that the ones that can manage people, schedules, events and internal issues the best tend to thrive. They have the same issues as most other organizations in fishing. In the recent TFF survey they were the second largest type of tournament that anglers participate in, so their numbers must be pretty good.

There's no doubt in my mind there are more people participating today in all forms of bass fishing and all the social and digital platforms certainly help reach the masses.

Mark, do you know what year the TFF came online?

Re: The Internet and its impact on Bass Tournaments [Re: Cowboy Church Bass Club] #11717420 07/11/16 10:46 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Well.....dudes have to have social media for all the videos they record while fishing. So, without the interweb, these guys wouldn't be fishing. Also, without this web, I'd not be talking to you guys....id be fishing even more. This forum is my "fishing" during the hours I cannot actually get on the lake.

The Internet is, for me, a place to really get up on the latest gear. Not so much about information on where and when to fish a tourney.

In fact, in the last 5 years, I have used the Internet to find ZERO tournaments....and I fish 2-3 tourneys PER WEEK. Most of the time, around 80%, I get text messages on where and when to fish a tourney. The other 20% is a phone call to fish a tournament or a series.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: The Internet and its impact on Bass Tournaments [Re: Texascajun69] #11717514 07/11/16 11:58 PM
C
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
C
Originally Posted By: Texascajun69
I agree 9094. I moved to Waco in 2005 and being new to central Texas I joined a Local Bass Club hoping to learn about the local lakes, what the bass preferred and any new tricks. That didn't happen. There was so much competition one club member whose house backed up to mine once would not even tell me how to get to the ramp where we were holding a tournament. In the bass clubs I belonged to in La. and in Houston, it was very common after the tournament for the winner to tell everyone what, where and how he caught the winning stringer.

There was also a lot of in-fighting in the club, some very questionable stringers weighed in, and everything was about the money. And speaking of the money I think that is the biggest downfall of most bass clubs. When trophies or plaques were given out people fished for the love of the sport and the competition. When prize money came into play it stop being a sport and became a business.

Hey Texascaju69, I agree with you. I know there are some competitive people in the fishing world. I know one guy who covers his rods with a towel to keep people from looking at what's tied on his rods.

If someone wins $ in our club, we ask them to tell us how they did it. It depends on the team, but most of the guys give up some pretty good info. The truth is a lot of people read our tournament recaps to get a jump on the hot baits for a given lake. The recaps are a lake report, a ramp report, and a fishing report. Our hope is that whoever reads the report, also reads Lakeside Devo or Testimony.......and just maybe we touch someone and it changes their life.

I remember there was one new team fishing with us, and they took 1st place, and when we asked them to tell us what they caught them on, they thought we were joking. It was kind of awkward and funny.

Many of us have developed some great friendships fishing on the Cowboy Church tournament trail. It takes a little work but FB helps us stay connected with each other since we live all over North and Central Texas. Teams that fish with us get invited into our fb private group where we share a little bit more than what's on our public facbook page.

This is our current year recap page. It's updated every month.
http://www.cowboychurchbassclub.org/writeup2016nd.pdf

You can view all the years at http://www.cowboychurchbassclub.org/resultsindex.htm

You can also signup to get on our email list at http://www.cowboychurchbassclub.org/signupemail.htm

We just started using Mailchip and you can also view some of our past tournament recaps at http://us13.campaign-archive2.com/home/?u=b794e50f26e158cbfe51e9966&id=5283ac7107

Yes we have cash payouts, but for some reason, money has never been a point of contention. I guess we all try and stay focused on Jesus and our mission statement.

I think recognizing the winners on fb and our website helps a lot too. Some teams like getting tagged on fb with their $ fish where and all their friends can see it. When someone wins the annual awards, we hope their names stay on the website forever in our Hall of Fame page. So far we have every tournament winner on our results page going back to when the club was founded.

Hey Texascajun69, we are fishing Waco this year (if the ramps open), come join us. We just started a new Central Texas Division this year and they need boats. Heck, if don't want to fish with us, come to the weigh-in and find out what the winning sack were caught on at Lake Waco.

Re: The Internet and its impact on Bass Tournaments [Re: Cowboy Church Bass Club] #11717572 07/12/16 12:23 AM
C
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
C

What were the top Texas tournament trails in 1996 (before the internet) and what are the top trails now?

By top, I mean consistently drawing the most boats throughout the year.....not counting Media, Bass Champs, FLW or Bassmaster.

Re: The Internet and its impact on Bass Tournaments [Re: SteezMacQueen] #11717788 07/12/16 02:13 AM
B
BThomas Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen

According to the "TFF Survey", the average bass angler is too wealthy to work, so they have no "co-workers".

You do know, fishermen are known liars cheers

Re: The Internet and its impact on Bass Tournaments [Re: Cowboy Church Bass Club] #11717960 07/12/16 03:35 AM
Mark Jones Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: Cowboy Church Bass Club
Originally Posted By: Mark Jones

Mark, do you know what year the TFF came online?

Just a guess but I think mid 90s? 96 maybe?

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide