858858 Topics
11266872 Posts

Max Online: 36273 @ 01/23/13 02:34 PM
Topic Options
#11707521 - 07/06/16 12:21 PM Frying Chicken Batter
V-Bottom Offline
Pro Angler

Loc: Galv. Cnty
This morning I saw a lady on TV dipping chicken pieces in Hot Sauce and then put pieces in a bowl that looked as if it were ONLY flour. Could their have been something combined with that flour to make "what grandma use to make" w/ eggs and milk? It made a thick crunchy looking crust after it was fried. The chicken was not spicy hot, as the frying does something to the hot sauce that dilutes the heat!! What do ya think
Pro Tournament H2 Series Deluxe Scale
Cert.48" Custom Made Ruler
GEI International,Inc. Cal-Tech Calibrations

#11708012 - 07/06/16 04:04 PM Re: Frying Chicken Batter [Re: V-Bottom]
Kattelyn Online   content
TFF Guru

Loc: Mansfield-ish
I mix in a whole lot of spices into my flour for frying. Normally I don't dip them in milk or egg or something before tossing in the flour, but sometimes I do. Depends on what kind of coating I'm going after.

I can't tell you exactly what all goes into my fried chicken, because I don't know what I'm going to grab out of the spice cabinet between one day to the next but the base ingredients include lemon pepper, poultry seasoning, onion and garlic, paprika (sometimes), parsley, bay seasoning (sometimes), fresh ground pepper, and granulated chicken bouillon in place of salt. I've even tossed in some dry mustard or cumin or chili powder from time to time. Entirely depends on what I'm in the mood for.

As far as dipping the pieces in hot sauce before tossing in flour, I've done it before and it wasn't spicy to me at all. Came out really good. BUT the spice wuss in the house couldn't eat them so no can do. I will go for months where I'm craving hot sauce on and in everything. Depends on your sensitivity.

Edited by Kattelyn (07/06/16 04:07 PM)

#11709605 - 07/07/16 10:33 AM Re: Frying Chicken Batter [Re: V-Bottom]
Gamblinman Online   content
Extreme Angler

Loc: Yantis, TX
Take water dampened chicken and dip into flour first, then into the thin egg/ milk mixture, then back into flour again.

Gman

#11710066 - 07/07/16 02:10 PM Re: Frying Chicken Batter [Re: V-Bottom]
V-Bottom Offline
Pro Angler

Loc: Galv. Cnty
^^^^^ I've done that all my life Gamblinman. Fried it like granny that is. I'm curious how dipping chicken only, no batter added, into hot sauce and then into flour made such a thick looking crispy crunchy coated piece. The lady fried chicken using peanut oil. BTW: anyone here ever use coconut oil to fry bird or french fries? That I have heard is Top Shelf frying oil.
Pro Tournament H2 Series Deluxe Scale
Cert.48" Custom Made Ruler
GEI International,Inc. Cal-Tech Calibrations

#11712043 - 07/08/16 11:34 AM Re: Frying Chicken Batter [Re: V-Bottom]
Gamblinman Online   content
Extreme Angler

Loc: Yantis, TX
Yes..I've used coconut oil...make sure it is REFINED coconut oil...it will resist the high temp of frying better.

I've tried others too..always go back to peanut oil.

#11713064 - 07/08/16 09:34 PM Re: Frying Chicken Batter [Re: V-Bottom]
fmrmbmlm Online   content
Pro Angler

Originally Posted By: V-Bottom
^^^^^ I've done that all my life Gamblinman. Fried it like granny that is. I'm curious how dipping chicken only, no batter added, into hot sauce and then into flour made such a thick looking crispy crunchy coated piece. The lady fried chicken using peanut oil. BTW: anyone here ever use coconut oil to fry bird or french fries? That I have heard is Top Shelf frying oil.
Was it self rising flour?

#11714161 - 07/09/16 06:58 PM Re: Frying Chicken Batter [Re: V-Bottom]
wupbass Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: DFW, Tx
Soak it over night in buttermilk. You can toss in some shakes of hot sauce if you want to. Next day, drain it and toss in your seasoned flour. Release to the grese. Slap your Momma good!!!

#11729255 - 07/18/16 05:00 PM Re: Frying Chicken Batter [Re: Kattelyn]
deucer02 Online   content
TFF Guru

Loc: Irving, Texas and Cedar Creek
Originally Posted By: Kattelyn
I mix in a whole lot of spices into my flour for frying. Normally I don't dip them in milk or egg or something before tossing in the flour, but sometimes I do. Depends on what kind of coating I'm going after.

I can't tell you exactly what all goes into my fried chicken, because I don't know what I'm going to grab out of the spice cabinet between one day to the next but the base ingredients include lemon pepper, poultry seasoning, onion and garlic, paprika (sometimes), parsley, bay seasoning (sometimes), fresh ground pepper, and granulated chicken bouillon in place of salt. I've even tossed in some dry mustard or cumin or chili powder from time to time. Entirely depends on what I'm in the mood for.

As far as dipping the pieces in hot sauce before tossing in flour, I've done it before and it wasn't spicy to me at all. Came out really good. BUT the spice wuss in the house couldn't eat them so no can do. I will go for months where I'm craving hot sauce on and in everything. Depends on your sensitivity.

A shot or two of blackened redfish magic is great, also.

© 1998-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide