Print Thread
Texas city dike. Wade tips/ dos and donts? #11692870 06/28/16 04:32 AM
D
dcox1911 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
im tired of catching like 800 writings and croakers every time I go saltwater fishing so I've moved to artificials. Me and my brother went last week and caught nothing. I'm guessing it was a bad day because everyone was coming up empty handed. This old man told us he's been there since he was 8 and he never see anyone catch anything. (I think that's not true at all due to YouTube Lo) but he seemed right that day. So we decided to wade out but only slightly past out knees (I know we're disgraces but neither of us can swim so I decided we'd be best there lmfao) someone told me there was a big drop off by mosquito island so I told my brother to just stay in, especially since no one was catching anything out there anyway. It wasn't worth it, I was thinking of going back there and going deeper with my pfd on but I wanted to know if anyone knows a thing or two. Where are the dollar flats? And any other info would be awesome. Should I just give up and get a lamp and shine it by the rocks at night? lol. Thanks

Re: Texas city dike. Wade tips/ dos and donts? [Re: dcox1911] #11693070 06/28/16 12:51 PM
K
kickingback Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
K
Look at Google Earth and at the top of Google Earth there is a history button. Click it and slide the slider bar back to see older dates of the area. Some images are when the tide is low and you can see the areas to avoid. Of course these images were taken a few years back and the sand shifts with tides so still be careful when wading out there. Wear a PFD to be sure and once you are sure then you can take it off. I wouldn't but it's up to you. A few people have drowned around Mesquite Island near the dike. Dollar flats is farther north away from the dike but it is a good area as well.
Check the tides at Tides4fishing.com and be safe!

USAF Retired and Fishing!
Re: Texas city dike. Wade tips/ dos and donts? [Re: dcox1911] #11693266 06/28/16 02:04 PM
S
smooth move Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
if you turn left onto the levee as you go onto the dyke, you'll have about 3/4 mi of good wading. look for ribbons or strings tied to the guard rail that mark favorite locations. don't leave anything too valuable in your car though.

es le bon ton roulet
Re: Texas city dike. Wade tips/ dos and donts? [Re: dcox1911] #11704366 07/04/16 11:09 PM
V-Bottom Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
No such thing as Mesquite Island...it's Mosquito Island, which is a banana shaped oyster reef on the North side of the Dike just off Levee Rd. Midways down Levee Rd and off to the right is Dollar Reef. It's about time to be throwing croaker at trout there. When the water gets hotter, trout tend to move from Mosquito Island area and migrate to Dollar Reef. Trout diet will change from shrimp to finfish. It costs $5 to get on the Dike..Fri-Sun. (March 1st-Nov 1st). The Dike is 5 1/4 miles long. Most people fish near the East end on the Rocks. Bait Camps are at the base of the Dike before you get on it. No bait camps on the Dike since IKE tore it all down...No Lighted Pier either. Speed limit 25mph and patrolled, solar lighting in most areas, small piers on the North side of the Dike and NEW boat ramps...Beware wading on the West Side of Mosquito Island, back then their was a huge drop off, probably still is. I hear that Deep Hole got shallower , was over 20 feet deep. People have drowned there. Wear PFD's any where you go out there. The Beach area is also dangerous due to Large Ships passing. They tend to suck out the water and people w/ it....Beware.

Last edited by V-Bottom; 07/06/16 02:00 AM.

Texas Anglers Recognition Program
TPWD Official Weigh Station,77563
Coastal Bend Weigh Team, Cert. Weigh Master
USMC66'- www.troutsupport.com

Re: Texas city dike. Wade tips/ dos and donts? [Re: dcox1911] #11705220 07/05/16 04:12 PM
T
TroutSupport.com Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
good on you for being safe, take your time and proceed cautiously until you learn an area. People have gotten in trouble at mosquito island before. The surf has been pretty good on decent wind days. Light or calm southeast winds and light north winds. The south jetty is also good if you don't mind hiking the rocks. Mosquito island can be good in the spring, less so in summer. Dollar flats can hold a few trout in the summer though.

With lures you have to weed out unproductive water faster and faster, over time you can learn a skill called 'reading the water' where you are learning to interpret the predator prey reactions going on in an area and pretty much know if there are 'signs' of life or not.

110% Money Back Guarantee -Tons of Testimonials!

Speckled Trout/Redfish Instruction & DVD's - FREE Preview

Like us on Facebook
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide